Scwd Water Flow One Direction

jsoon

• SRC Member

I got this SCWD from a Marine Shop and I realise that it is a "lemon" set where after a week of using, the water flow can only go one direction.

Initially, I though something was jam inside and cause the water blockage but after taking it out and washing and flushing it, I realise that when I pump a tap water at high pressure into the SCWD unit (simulate a pump), the water only gushes out from one end but has a very low flow out the other. (where the fault is)

I did an inspection by shining a torchlight into the hole and realise that the low outlet flow seems to have a white plastic screw missing.

Any advice ????

I called up the shop for advice and if I can return for exchange or servicing but received a lukewarm response.

I guess the policy is once sold and broken, consider too bad !!!!!

• SRC Member
try using a pump with lower pressure.try using 1000L/H to 1500L/H and test it.

Currently wat pump are you using now? if it's too powerful, it will have the same effect as what u stated earlier on.

I am using Eheim 1262 (3400L) to pump the SCWD for a week it was working fine. Now kapuk !!!! :angry:

According to the manual, it state that the minimum flow should be 2000 L /hr and that is why I upgraded from eheim 1060 to 1262. When I use eheim 1060, the effect was very weak. I hardly see any the corals swaying away to the waves. But when I upgrade to 1262, that was some significant effect.

I did comtemplate to get Ocean Free 9000 which is 4500 L /hr but decide to lower the outflow to 34000 L.

I will try to see if a lower pump can get the effect.

Do you think the LFS can help us to change if it is defective ?

• SRC Member

i doubt the local lfs would change for you. All those produce from other country one, they would not want to take the trouble to just change for you. That why when u buy the stuff, u must get it from those LFS whom you know them well.. Then maybe they can swap one for one for you. Try rising it with water to wash away the calcium which might accumulate onto it.

• SRC Member

I am using Eheim 1262 (3400L) to pump the SCWD for a week it was working fine. Now kapuk !!!! :angry:

According to the manual, it state that the minimum flow should be 2000 L /hr and that is why I upgraded from eheim 1060 to 1262. When I use eheim 1060, the effect was very weak. I hardly see any the corals swaying away to the waves. But when I upgrade to 1262, that was some significant effect.

My SCWD is driven by a 1060 in a closed-loop system. Max head pressure is only about a foot so I don't think there is much lost in flow rate.

I think the SCWD manual says the operating range is between 50 to 1400 gallons/hour -- that's about 200 to 5300 litres/hour.