Need Food Recommendation for Anthias

Hi,

I just bought 2 purple anthias last Fri.

They are now free-swimming as in not hiding but had not eaten till this morning that I decided to feed them with frozen cyclopeeze. They just nimble a little.

BTW, last night, I started to hatch BBS eggs so hopefully will be hatched this evening to feed them but I think this BBS, being so small won't keep their stomach full?

Those with experience with anthias, please advise how to feed anthias.

Please recommend type of commercially available "dried" food and other type of food which are suitable for anthias? so I can start purchasing from LFS.

I can't seem to find food small enough for anthias.

Do anthias like flakes?

Thanks in advance for responding to my questions.

Felix

Thanks Yellowtan,

I thought Henry seafood mix is too big (size wise) for the anthias to chew off. Anyway, I will give it a try coz I have that seafood mix.

Any other recommendations on types of food available for anthias?

Anybody heard of "Sweetwater Plankton" which I heard is very good for anthias?

• SRC Member
Thanks Yellowtan,

I thought Henry seafood mix is too big (size wise) for the anthias to chew off. Anyway, I will give it a try coz I have that seafood mix.

Any other recommendations on types of food available for anthias?

Anybody heard of "Sweetwater Plankton" which I heard is very good for anthias?

Any meaty food will be good, Mysis, chopped prawns, home made seafood concoction etc. If they don't eat, start off with life food and slowly move to frozen food then pellets.

My bartletts eat anything you give them. My other anthias (lyretail, dispar and female square dot) in another tank, just got them last week eats mysis and small pellets (Hiraki and Ocean Nutrition). I suppose they eat sweetwater plankton as well.

Your Purple Anthias are hard to keep species, you can PM Roidan who has success with this beautiful anthias and ask him for his advice.

• SRC Member

use other fishes to teach them whta food is in the aquarium. I had 3 dispars that rushed to gobble up Henry's prepared food. After a week or so, the purple oso join in .... at first bite a bit but now rushing with them as well..... now they makan live & frozen brine shrimps, mysis & even formula 1 pellets

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Thanks everyone for chipping in on food recommendation.

If I had known earlier, I would not have bought the purple anthias. These were the first anthias that I encountered and I thought they were beautiful so I bought them not knowing they are difficult to feed.

If anyone intends to sell or let go off yr dispar and lyretail anthias, please let me know. I just need a pair of each.

Am I also right to say that lyretail anthias are semi-agressive coz I do not like agressive fish/bullies?

Thanks again.

Felix

• SRC Member
Thanks everyone for chipping in on food recommendation.

If I had known earlier, I would not have bought the purple anthias. These were the first anthias that I encountered and I thought they were beautiful so I bought them not knowing they are difficult to feed.

If anyone intends to sell or let go off yr dispar and lyretail anthias, please let me know. I just need a pair of each.

Am I also right to say that lyretail anthias are semi-agressive coz I do not like agressive fish/bullies?

Thanks again.

Felix

Dispars are great & relatively easy anthias to keep. Ah beng's place regularly hv lah. I think almost every week hahaha. Usu 3 for 10 bucks pretty gd px lah...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Thanks Dazza,

I think Ah Beng place is at P. Ris, that is far from Choa Chu Kang, where I stand.

Anyone knows of LFS in West area that brings in anthias frequently, particularly, dispar and lyretail.

How big can dispar & lyretail anthias grow coz mine is only a 2 ft tank?

Rgds.