What trace element would you use/recommend

shoelevy

Which brand of trace elements do you use / recommend?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand of trace elements do you use / recommend?

• AquaZ
    • Aquapharm
    • Salifert Trace
    • Sea Lab
    • Kent Marine
    • SeaChem
    • CoraLife
    • ELIOS
    • None - Using CA Reactor / Water Change

Me changing 20% every week without fail.Thats coz I don't run my skimmer liao.

that's risky! :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

I'm changing 5% everyweek and I find that it is good enough. I have a 100 gallon tank so 5 gallon water change every week using the red pail. Stop the skimmer and let the excess water flow into the sump and just suck from the sump or the main tank. I don't switch off any of my return pumps, so no problem with forgetting to on chiller later. :lol: Clean the skimmer cup and off we go. However reefers with bigger tanks or very small sump will have problem doing it this way. You will have no choice but to switch of your pumps. If you change 5% only, you must be hardworking and change every week in order for the water change to be effective. Cannot skive. B)

Run a good skimmer, suitable in comparison with your livestock. You don't have to overkill your skimmer if your LS do not need such low nutrient water.

I feel that water change is more for replenishing the trace elements on top of reducing NO3, PO4 etc. I have undetectable NO3 and PO4 but still do weekly water change to replenish the trace elements. Major elements such as Ca, Mg and Alk need weekly monitoring, sometimes water change not enough to replenish them so dosing or a well tuned CR is required. Also suggest test your major elements weekly. Use RO/DI or distilled water for water change so as not to introduce unwanted components into your tank. Untreated tap water can be troublesome.

• SRC Member
I'm changing 5% everyweek and I find that it is good enough. I have a 100 gallon tank so 5 gallon water change every week using the red pail. Stop the skimmer and let the excess water flow into the sump and just suck from the sump or the main tank. I don't switch off any of my return pumps, so no problem with forgetting to on chiller later. :lol: Clean the skimmer cup and off we go. However reefers with bigger tanks or very small sump will have problem doing it this way. You will have no choice but to switch of your pumps. If you change 5% only, you must be hardworking and change every week in order for the water change to be effective. Cannot skive. B)

Run a good skimmer, suitable in comparison with your livestock. You don't have to overkill your skimmer if your LS do not need such low nutrient water.

I feel that water change is more for replenishing the trace elements on top of reducing NO3, PO4 etc. I have undetectable NO3 and PO4 but still do weekly water change to replenish the trace elements. Major elements such as Ca, Mg and Alk need weekly monitoring, sometimes water change not enough to replenish them so dosing or a well tuned CR is required. Also suggest test your major elements weekly. Use RO/DI or distilled water for water change so as not to introduce unwanted components into your tank. Untreated tap water can be troublesome.

thanks scarab for your input

thanks VERY VERY much! :)

i will take this advice well. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hm..i have this bottle of Seachem..don't know if its the correct trace element lei...it states there flourish trace:trace elements for the planted aquarium...me last time use it to keep freshwater plants..can it be used too?

Hi I am new here, had been using kent and it seems no much result. Also do a 10% water change bi-weekly. I am using fan and water evaporation is high so top up about 4 litres a day. My tank is 4x2x2.5, 150g, and top up with RO water, even i do a 10% weekly, RO water does not contain minerals. So what is the best advise?

Cheers

• SRC Member
Hi I am new here, had been using kent and it seems no much result. Also do a 10% water change bi-weekly. I am using fan and water evaporation is high so top up about 4 litres a day. My tank is 4x2x2.5, 150g, and top up with RO water, even i do a 10% weekly, RO water does not contain minerals. So what is the best advise?

Cheers

Firstly, consider using a chiller to keep your temperature more stable. You tank not small so to maintain temp using fan will have very high evaporation rate.

Secondly, the trace elements come from your salt not from your RO water. So when you do water change the replenishing of trace elements is due to your salt you mix into the water you change. Topping up water with RO has no trace elements, purely water (H2O), nothing else.

• SRC Member
Just bought a beckett skimmer and FR, now no budget to buy chiller. The electric bill will make my wife :angry:

Since topping with RO, have to add trace element weekly. If change water bi-weekly about 10% can I stop dosing. Taking in consideration of using RO daily

cheers

B)

Bro, don't understand your 'have to add trace element weekly' . How do you know you have to add? You test for trace elements?

You top up water to cater for evaporation. Depletion of trace elements depend on your coral take up. Both of these are totally not connected. Your water evaporate, doesn't mean your trace elements also evaporate bro.

Really suggest you don't dose anymore trace elements as since you can't test for it, you won't know how much is enough. Your weekly 10% water change should take care of the trace elements replenishment.

• SRC Member
I will stop adding trace element immediately. Tks scarab for your timely adviced. 1 question to ask, if I change water weekly or the most bi-weekly on 10%, will the corals had enough elements?

Cheers

:thanks:

Suggest you pay more attention to the major elements like Calcium and Alkalinity (kH) and maybe Magnesium. Don't worry too much about trace elements. You know what are the levels of Ca and Alk to keep, right?

10% water change very good already, even fornightly. I know a lot of reefers don't even change water for months.... :lol::lol: ........ but to each his own. Everyone have their own prefered reefing method when it comes to water change.. :peace:

• SRC Member

• 1 year later...
sorry newbie here.. can pm me what is RO/DI or distilled water. water left overnight is called what?

PMed you :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • SRC Member
bro. where can buy those vit. i looking for it ? :thanks:

you can try petmart. i used to buy those from them until i switch to selcon and kent's zoe from RD. the 2 forms a great team.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||