Felt electric current in tank water

Happy Reefer

• SRC Member

Hi,

2 nights ago, when I touch the surface of the tank water, I can feel electric current (not a nice feeling).

Sometimes, can also feel it when I switch on the tank lights.

But sometimes, there's no such current.

Anyone can explain what's wrong with my 2-ft setup?

Should I get a ground fault ciruit interrupt to earth the current? Where to get such item?

Not sure what to do, need advice. Anyone has earthing device / experience to share.

Would like to solve this soon, don't want any major accident to happen.

Thanks.

hei I encounter this a few occassions when the 1st touching onto the water. After much encounters and " trouble shooting" I believe if u have cuts or even tiny miny bruise at the hands finges esp. does give the shoking sensation feeling. But none when switching on the lights are concern. Anyway do check for open cut cable , all the cables. Happy reefing :eyebrow:

it is called leaking current. Sources from your submerged pumps and devices. In the water, it is open circuit so the live stocks dun feel a thing.

But when your hands get in touch with it, u create a closed circuit and without grounding your feet, u will get electric shock.

I agreed with Limpc. It is quite debatable if u wanna add a grounding probe. Coz u are causing current to travel to the probe.... my designer frens insist this will create more problems for the fishes....

Mine is still the same with leaking current. I just leave it alone. All my stocks are doing well.

If u really need it, go to BioAquaria - saw them carried a rustproof grouding probe the last time.

Hi, I had that problem once and it was caused by one of the devices which had no 'earth' connection - this is the device with two pins plug instead of three pins that hv 'earth, live and neutral' wirings. I subsequently changed the two pins plug to a three pins plug and the problem was solved.

If I were u, I would start my trouble-shooting with those devices u hv, which hv two pins plugs (eg pumps, chiller).

Oh yes, 'cut or damage electrical cable' like one of the bros mentioned here, is also another possibilities. Just the other day I find out that the insulating rubber of my Tunze cable has been slightly scrapped off by the edge of the tank hood - do u guys realise that the edges of new tank hoods even if they are made of wood, can be very sharp.

:)

• SRC Member

I read a study and if I can find it I will post it that found that after adding grouding livestock showed a marked increase in activity. The study was trying to prove that however small, the fish do suffer to some degree from leaking current. Fully agree with limpc don't want to read about fellow reefers in the papers for the wrong reasons. take care electricity is serious stuff

• SRC Member

Hi SRC Reefers,

Thanks for pouring in your experiences and advices.

Wonder whether Home-Fix sells grounding probe, which I can used for marine earthing purpose?

OK, will investigate and find out which is the leaking device. Suspect, it's the lighting...

Mantis - How do you change a 2-pin plug to a 3-pin plug when there's no 3rd earthing wire within the cable for devices with 2-pin plug?

Pardon me, I'm not so electrically savvy.

Hi SRC Reefers,

Thanks for pouring in your experiences and advices.

Wonder whether Home-Fix sells grounding probe, which I can used for marine earthing purpose?

OK, will investigate and find out which is the leaking device. Suspect, it's the lighting...

Mantis - How do you change a 2-pin plug to a 3-pin plug when there's no 3rd earthing wire within the cable for devices with 2-pin plug?

Pardon me, I'm not so electrically savvy.

Hi.... :)

For me, I did the 2pin to 3pin switch for my 1st chiller (Resun CL 280) and all my Ehiem pumps. Incidentally, the chiller was the one that caused the electrical outage in my case. At least for the devices I mentioned above, inside the cable insulation are three smaller wires ie Live wire (red or brown), Earth wire (Green or Green/Yellow) and Neutral wire (Black or Blue) - even if u just c a 2pin plug connected.

Just cut the cable near where the two-pin plug is and u will see the three wires (coloured as described above) inside. Then simply buy a three-pin plug and connect accordingly.

BUT a word of caution - be very careful that u do not connect the wrong wires to the wrong points in the plug. As in all electrical works, be careful that know what u are doing or get someone who knows to do it for u. :peace:

• SRC Member

Mantis, thanks very much for your explanation. I always thought there are only 2 wires for a 2-pin plug device. This is new info to me.

Can someone provide Bio Aquaria & Bio-Ocean tel no.?

I called Bio-Ocean at 64833127 y'day evening. The phone line does not seem to be working.

Wanted to get the earthing probe.

Thanks.

• SRC Member

In my experience, salt spray also cause to this leaking.

My 4" fan in sump, covered much with salt spray gave me that "sensation". After replaced with a better one, no more liao.

When you use ground probe in your tank, place it near to the gadget you suspect will likely leak current in future, like those 2 pins and especially consuming high voltage.

One stated current take the shortest way to flow, shortcut.

• SRC Member

Ground probe is debatable....

Some said the use of it is actually masking the true problem of a faulty equipment that is leaking electricity of the water... it's like taking a plaster to stick on your face where you have an acne and try to believe it is no longer there...

Honestly, I have to go with what bro mantis say, bottomline, find out which equipment is faulty... change those with two pins into three pins plug.... but do it carefully... replace faulty pumps if required...

Lastly then, you may want to add a ground probe... ;)

One reason why I wear a rubber slipper whenever I work on my tank... hehehe...

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the grounding is to detect any leakage in the tank. As the grounding is connect to the ELCB (Electric Leackage Circuit Breaker), the CB will trip (cut off the power supply) if there is any current leakage. This work same as the water heater you use in your bathroom.

I think it is better/best to have a gound probe rather than test it using you body.. a power trip will only stop the activities in your tank for most few hours and if anyone touch on the leakage.... who knows the cost.

• SRC Member

Hi, I've tested and found the tank lighting to be the equipment at fault.

Just to be sure that I understand you all correctly, if I cut the insulation of the lighting wire which is connected to the 2-pin plug, will I be able to find 3 wires inside so that I re-connect to a 3-pin plug?

What if there are 2 only wires, does it mean that it won't work if I change to a 3-pin plug coz there's no "earthing" wire?

Rgds.

• SRC Member
Hi, I've tested and found the tank lighting to be the equipment at fault.

Just to be sure that I understand you all correctly, if I cut the insulation of the lighting wire which is connected to the 2-pin plug, will I be able to find 3 wires inside so that I re-connect to a 3-pin plug?

What if there are 2 only wires, does it mean that it won't work if I change to a 3-pin plug coz there's no "earthing" wire?

Rgds.

you got to have the green earth wire in the first place for it to work. Quite easy to tell actually. If it comes molded with a 2 pin plug, then dun bother to cut it. use a length of wire externally to act as a ground instead

• SRC Member

my suggestion is to open up ur lighting hood... then see how ur wire is connected to the ballast... in this way, u can immediately see whether its a 3 piece wire a not. if it isnt, either u change the whole wire n plug to a 3 pin one (for e,g, those used in PC) then reconnect the 2 live n neutral point n connect the earth point onto anywhere on the ballast where current can leak to.

alternatively, u can just get the 3 pin lug n wire n use its earth wire onli... in this way, u will have 2 plugs lor... ;)