Selicon

antz

• SRC Member
U are supposed to find a man and a female pipe that fits to the hole and then screw them together.... awww...

decipher code........

code no. 1 found--->find a male...

code no. 2 found--->and a female...

code no. 3.......then screw them together??

find a male...and a female...then screw them together...

:evil::evil::evil:

decipher code........

code no. 1 found--->find a male...

code no. 2 found--->and a female...

code no. 3.......then screw them together??

find a male...and a female...then screw them together...

:evil::evil::evil:

................................................................. :bow::bow::bow:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hi,

You have to get a set of "male" and "female" coupling. Make sure it comes with a flat rubber seal (not-std o-ring). The coupling set is threaded, so you can "screw" them together. To prevent leaking due to improper mating of the coupling halves, use teflon tape which can be wrapped around the threaded area of the "male" piece. Silicone the sides of the coupling to the glass base as "double protection".

For gluing PVC pipes, you can buy PVC glue which only cost <$2, sets up extremely fast. You can get all the items mentioned from a hardware shop.

LOL... tried not to make it sound too R(A)... but boh pian.... since those are std piping terms... except for "screw" ... you "mate" coupling halves together but "screw" seems to be easier to understand hor??

• SRC Member

Hi,

An o-ring is used for sealing the edges of a pipe or screw on cap...

For the flat end of a coupling and the glass base of the tank, it is better to use a flat rubber seal since it has more contact surface area to provide proper sealing and it will not deform out of shape if you overtighten the coupling....

never never use oring for saltwater...

just get a female and male joint... silicon both side on ur tank base

Wondering where you read or heard this from... but I have to STRONGLY disagree with this....

Most o-ring or rubber seals sold in hardware shops are made from a synthetic rubber known as neoprene...

Neoprene has the following properties:

- Resists degradation from sun, ozone and weather

- Performs well in contact with oils and many chemicals including saltwater

- Remains useful over a wide temperature range

- Displays outstanding physical toughness

- Resists burning inherently better than exclusively hydrocarbon rubbers

- Outstanding resistance to damage caused by flexing and twisting

I would not recommend using the coupling without a proper elastic seal... or just using silicone to seal the edge of the coupling to the glass. Such setup will tend to loosen in the long run due to vibrations (caused by pump) or movement caused by accidental knocking etc... The rubber seal which is slightly compressed due to the tightening of the coupling will provide proper sealing, friction against loosening and also absorption of vibrational motions....

remember, the silicone is only for "double protection".... sorry couldn't resist making this statement :P

Most o-ring or rubber seals sold in hardware shops are made from a synthetic rubber known as neoprene...

Neoprene has the following properties:

- Resists degradation from sun, ozone and weather

- Performs well in contact with oils and many chemicals including saltwater

- Remains useful over a wide temperature range

- Displays outstanding physical toughness

- Resists burning inherently better than exclusively hydrocarbon rubbers

- Outstanding resistance to damage caused by flexing and twisting

Wah, you seem to know alot about rubber. I've been dosing ozone for 2 weeks and the o-ring in the water check valve (one way valve) seems to be damaged by it. Are silicon use in fish tank ozone safe?

Sorly for hijacking, I'm really desperate to know the harm if I continue to use ozone. :paiseh:

• SRC Member

No lah ... dunno much ... only know enuff to smoke others ;)

I am not too sure if silicone is ozone resistant.. it definitely is not resistant to a whole lot of organic and inorganic solvents. Go to the Green Book website or yellow pages and seek out some vendors selling neoprene o-ring. If not just pop by any hardware shop with your sample and ask for a neoprene one.... but be prepared for a reply such as neoplin...si mii ah??

As for ozone, make sure you take proper precautions when handling ozone gas or water rich with ozone... although it is highly unstable and breaksdown quickly you won't want it on your skin or in your body.....

Go to the following website and read up about the hazards of ozone exposure... certainly not worth dabbling with stuff that might cause harm due to accidental leakage or discharge.

http://www.propex.com/C_f_env_ozon.htm

• SRC Member

Anthony: I disagree with you, I think O-rings are def ok with saltwater, even if its rubber and not neoprene I don't see how salt water can act on rubber to spoil it? All the pumpheads use an O-ring inside which can be seen when you take it apart to clean, plus all diving gears like torches, camera casings all use O-rings.

I think one thing about O-rings is that you need a little bit of pressure on them to ensure good sealing, so must screw tightly errr no connotations intended. plus I think a little bit of grease (those used in greasing diving O-rings) or vaseline goes a long way in ensuring good seals plus long life of the O-ring. One thing to note about silicone, its not reliable as a sealant if used on PLASTICS, after you glue it on any plastic, and after it dries totally, you can easily peel it off!!!! Check out the silcone glue package, it most prob will say its good for lots of materials except plastic!!

• SRC Member
I think one thing about O-rings is that you need a little bit of pressure on them to ensure good sealing, so must screw tightly errr no connotations intended.

Haha ... first off my apologies for being naughty again.... if you are under 18 don't read!!

But the "screw tightly" really tickles my funny bone.... "screw tightly" to get better sealing ... yes.... since the rubber, in a compressed state will have an increase contact area and will press against the surfaces to create a tight seal .....BUT don't "over screw", you will deform something ... (the o-ring).....

plus I think a little bit of grease (those used in greasing diving O-rings) or vaseline goes a long way in ensuring good seals plus long life of the O-ring.

and... ahem!!....you won't need "lubricants" here since the o-ring will be "wet" enuff due to the saltwater ....

But on the serious side, you won't want grease or vaseline in your water.....

• SRC Member

hhmmm maybe not grease but I think vaseline is ok? cuz it'll be in small amts and it maybe harmless? donno but got the idea from my eheim cannister which has its O-rings greased and I was adviced to use vaseline to grease it after a long while as maintainance.

And hahahahhaa.... ALWAYS BE SAFE..... hahahahahha... USE a silicon-dom...