Miscalleneous

Golden Trevally 3.5"

Striped Sweetlips 6"

Fox face 5"

Pink tail trigger 3.5"

Lyretail wrasse 3.5"

Tomata clown 2.5"

• SRC Member

Snowflake and lion can add to your communities as they are mostly big fish. However, not so such if you can ad clown trigger to the last community as there's a pink tail already. Also, clown trigger cannot go with lion as they will nibble on the spines. Hope this help.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Snowflake and lion can add to your communities as they are mostly big fish.  However, not so such if you can ad clown trigger to the last community as there's a pink tail already.  Also, clown trigger cannot go with lion as they will nibble on the spines.  Hope this help.

Can't 2 triggers live in harmony together :angry:

Ya, my pink tail ever live happily with a 6" lion for more than 6 months. After that it starts to nibble the lion's fin for no reason. I was too late to remove the lion. :cry2:

wah.. ur tank is really big.

Thank you. Still not enough fish. It's so difficult to add new fish. New comer mostly don't eat, bullied, sick and slow in competing for food. :(

Can eel compete for food? Its tank mate gonna be really fast !

skip the Clown Trigger.... i belive it will bite the hell out of ur fishes ....cause saw trigger bite a fish to death before at reb**n...

I will probably skip lion. I really love to have a clown trigger. 2 experience so far. One 5" that became blind (i think) after one week. Must chase its food after him. Really tested my patient for few months until its gone. 2nd one is a baby 1/2 inch, can't remember how it die.

Any trigger expert to share your experience? I realy want to keep it :bow:Trigger_Queen, are you here?

• SRC Member

not expert but got abit experience with triggers.

i have 4 triggers (picasso, clown, blue-chin, black-patch) living in a tank. and a pink-tail in another. (i dream of having a queen and a blue-line and a cross-hatch)

1) dun add the lion, triggers will nib it and it will get to the food too slow.

2) eels and triggers are ok (i had triggers + zebra eel) but the prob is feeding. i had to feed the eel using thongs and by the time the eel smell it and swim to the food, the triggers are already after it. i had to'beat' them off. its funny but frustrating and need patience. this happen even when i poke the thongs directly into the eel's cave.

3) pink tail are considered more docile triggers. mine is shy and docile but mine get very aggressive if it thinks the newcomer is a threat to its food source. i had a clown trigger wif pink-tail living happily (until the clown died).

4)though ur pink-tail is establish, clown triggers are generally mad and might go after it BUT IF the pink-tail 'kow-tao' to the clown, should be ok. triggers skin is very tough. so a few scratches is ok. IMHO pinktail+clown is ok as the aggression level is different. (but then, its triggers we are talking abt and they are highly unpredictable)

5)IMO, adult clown triggers are actually not easy to keep. most that we buy in lfs are cynaide caught. i lost 2 clown triggers, 1 blue-line, 1 sufflamen to it!!!!! :cry2::cry2: maybe u lost yours to that ?? my adult clown also had a cloudy eye....!!

now i have a baby clown trigger. abt 2 inch. feeds very well. and able to hold its own amg triggers, angels double its size! had it for abt 3 months.

6)i heard that if the excretion of a fish is long and whitish, it means cynaide caught, so if the fish is able to 'pass out' the poison, chances of survival is good.

my baby clown trigger excretion was like that, so i fed it VERY WELL (pellets, meaty food, brine shrimps) so it keeps 'passing out long white stuff' :pinch:

7) train ur fish to feed before u release it to ur big tank... looking at ur fishes, i am sure they are all greedy eaters and will shove the newcomer aside. i will quarantine mine and trained it not to be afraid of me and make sure its happy to see me, ie, will swim towards me and not hide. then i will release it. PATIENCE.

8) ANDi think 4inch clown is a risk... too big... might turn on ur other fishes any time... if u must get one, get smaller one. I LOVE clown triggers. thats why i try n try n try again. i quite hopeful my small bugger will survive for long.

btw

1)how big ur tank? got pics? really love to see it, coz i am 'fish siao' and not 'coral siao'

2) how did u manage to keep 2 angels together. i have a majestic in one tank and a juv blue-face in another. dare not mix coz i think they will fight to death. but its my dream to see both in the same tank

i noe this post very long.. but i get very excited with triggers :D:D .

i hope was of help. lmk when u decided to get the trigger. :P

ps: triggers are not :evil: . they are simply MAD and affectionate to the point of death. :D:D:D

• SRC Member

Agree with trigger queen. I hv a clown trigger for a yr plus already n i must say it is one of the most interesting character i hv ever kept. Too bad i cudnt keep shrimps with it thats all haha. It leaves my other fishes alone.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Thanks so much for the valuable information. :bow:

2) eels and triggers are ok (i had triggers + zebra eel) but the prob is feeding. i had to feed the eel using thongs and by the time the eel smell it and swim to the food, the triggers are already after it.

I think I'll give up the eel. That's the worry I have.

4)though ur pink-tail is establish, clown triggers are generally mad and might go after it BUT IF the pink-tail 'kow-tao' to the clown, should be ok. triggers skin is very tough.

I love clown so much. I'm prepared to give up pinktail in worst case.

7) train ur fish to feed before u release it to ur big tank... looking at ur fishes, i am sure they are all greedy eaters and will shove the newcomer aside. i will quarantine mine and trained it not to be afraid of me and make sure its happy to see me, ie, will swim towards me and not hide. then i will release it. PATIENCE.

I have 3 stages to acclimate new arrival. 1st - 2ft quarantine tank (prevent disease from spreading), 2nd - 1.5 ft partition in main tank (let them get to know each other first before physical contact :D ), and 3rd - release them together with the rest. It may take > 1 mth to complete, lots of patience.

btw

1)how big ur tank? got pics? really love to see it, coz i am 'fish siao' and not 'coral siao'

2) how did u manage to keep 2 angels together. i have a majestic in one tank and a juv blue-face in another. dare not mix coz i think they will fight to death. but its my dream to see both in the same tank

Its 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. I'll try to take some pics by end of this week. 'fish siao kaki' hard to find these days. Lots of nice reef pics, but haven't seen one on FO. Do you have pic to share? love to see yours too.

Manged to keep the 2 angels with the 1.5 ft partition method mentioned above. The poor majestic still chased by the other 2 angels occationally. But no major harm so far.

I'm always in a lookout for clown trigger recently. Saw few at CF last weekend. Smallest one about 5" and the rest are very big. Priced at $107 regardless of size. Too ex.

Question:

1) Will clown attack my existing fish? The last one I have don't (before it turns blind)

2) Why some clowns have brighter color and some dull. Somebody told me there's 2 types. Are they from different country?

Agree with trigger queen. I hv a clown trigger for a yr plus already n i must say it is one of the most interesting character i hv ever kept. Too bad i cudnt keep shrimps with it thats all haha. It leaves my other fishes alone.

That's encouraging :P

How big is your clown trigger and other fishes? What are the other fishes? This info maybe important to me.

remembered how my 1/2 inch clown trigger died. overfed with blood worms. I have save its' life twice prior to that, once my quarantine bio clash. and 2nd time lack of oxygen/water movement when kept in plastic cage. I think baby clown are vulnerable.

• SRC Member

Hihi crab, my clown trigger is abt 4 inch long. Eats anything including turtle pellets hahaha.

Fishes smaller than it in tank = tomato clown, flame hawk, sailfin tang, bicolor angel & six band wrasse.

Fishes bigger than it in tank= purple tang & moon wrasse.

In fact, the moon wrasse gv me more prob than the trigger.

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Saw some of those baby clown triggers at lfs last week. So cute. Maybe u can try those.

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

if u add a small one, chances of it attacking others quite 'slim' .

107 for a clown trig? ex...... :pinch:

go easy on the blood worm.... :sick:

triggers character are hard to predict, they can turn terrors overnite..

let us know when u get a clown trig.

and i agree wif dazza, i think the moon wrasse is more chaotic than the triggers. i had a lunar... had to give it up!!

Is moon wrasse = lyretail wrasse? :o Mine is very peacement, eat well, sleep well. how can this :angel: fish creates problem :shock:

Ney used to have a lyretail wrasse.......... This guy is devil attack every new comers but btw it is a beauty......... Hey ask AT abt his devil moon wrasse and what havoc it cause in his tank

• SRC Member
Is moon wrasse = lyretail wrasse? :o Mine is very peaceful, eat well, sleep well. how can this :angel: fish creates problem :shock:

if urs is an angel, then u r real lucky, or it has yet to sprout horns? or its in no position to create havoc?

i had 2 (in different tanks). it was one of the fishes that i wanted badly coz its simply beautiful and a graceful and tireless swimmer.

but

in tank 1:

it bully all new comers, refuse to let some near food. suspected murderer of 1 blenny. eats up all the food b4 others. no regard for all fishes.

in tank 2:

suspected murderers of several gobies, blennies, small wrasse, clam.

splashes water at us at every single feeding time. eats ALL the food.

BUT they are Beautiful and such great characters. sad to part from them :cry::cry:

if urs is an angel, then u r real lucky, or it has yet to sprout horns? or its in no position to create havoc?

i had 2 (in different tanks). it was one of the fishes that i wanted badly coz its simply beautiful and a graceful and tireless swimmer.

but

in tank 1:

it bully all new comers, refuse to let some near food. suspected murderer of 1 blenny. eats up all the food b4 others. no regard for all fishes.

in tank 2:

suspected murderers of several gobies, blennies, small wrasse, clam.

splashes water at us at every single feeding time. eats ALL the food.

BUT they are Beautiful and such great characters. sad to part from them :cry::cry:

Think your is more like a serial killer

I really feel so lucky to have an angel moon. :P She even help to clean uneaten food under rocks. :) Have never observe it closely though its with me for > 6 months. Will do that tonight. Hope she'll never sprout horn. :cry:

Remeber not to add any precious invertebrates of else........ MUM!!! MUM!!!!