Did my anemone ate my clown fish?

gnosamoht

Hi I'm a newbie who just started my tank not long ago...everything was alright until what happened today...actually I didn't see anything happen...just that the clown fish that was swimming happily in my anemone disappeared without a trace...could it be the anemone?

• SRC Member

Hi gnosamoht!

Welcome. What kind of anemone do you have? If the anemone is hosting anemone, the clown fish body supposingly will secrete some kind of chemical that make the anemone think that the clownfish is a part of anemone and so the anemone will not engulf the clownfish. Unless your clownfish is dead already and the body somehow was being captured by the anemone then it is possible.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

I don't really know the name of that anemone...and I don't have my d-cam with me now...hmmm...it's abit light yellowish green in color and it's "things" are more round and bubbly than the other one I have...

The ironic thing is that last night I bought one more anemone and 3 clownfish (2 common ones and one I think is fire-something clownfish)

Immediately after I put them in they took their respective territory...i.e. the fire clown with the "killer" and the other 2 common clown with my new anemone...the fire clown seems to settle well with the "killer" last night but this morning i found it hidding at a corner of the tank...if my guess is correct once a clown settled with an anemone it shouldn't leave it to hid at a corner after I off all the lights right?? could the anemone have tried to eat it as well? should I remove it?

Hmm..slight correction..clownfish do not secrete special chemicals that make them immune to anemone stings. The mucus coat is derived from the anemone itself.

Bubble-tip anemones have the weakest of stings among the other anemones commonly available. Their main food in the wild is planktonic prey, not big chunks of food or even whole fish.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

could the two common clown is harassing your "fire" something clown? So the fish was not MIA rite?

Haha...more like the fire clown harass the others now...it even invaded their territory (anemone) after I on the light...maybe it's just afraid of dark..i'll see what happens tonight after I off the lights...btw it's supposed to "sleep" inside the anemone right?

actually the fire clown sometimes hid itself totally inside the bubble anemone (killer)...don't feel good about that...I'm afraid it may nv come out again...does anyone had bad experience with regards to this?

• SRC Member
Hmm..slight correction..clownfish do not secrete special chemicals that make them immune to anemone stings. The mucus coat is derived from the anemone itself.

Bubble-tip anemones have the weakest of stings among the other anemones commonly available. Their main food in the wild is planktonic prey, not big chunks of food or even whole fish.

Hi FUEL!

Thanks for pointing that out.....

Regarding the second paragraph, do you mean that bubble-tip anemones cannot take big chucky food? I have been feeding my bubble tip anemone with all sorts of food like a small piece of market prawn, silver fish, fish pellets, mysis shrimps, diy fish food, etc. all this while without observing any adverse effect leh...... Hm.... Can you shed more light on this area?

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm