Algae Woes... need help

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Just came back from China after an absence of 3 weeks from my tank... my family helped me look after it but after I came back I found this type of algae clumping all over the tank.. sigh

I've battled it before, scrubbed it off the rock then super glued the infected area, it stayed away for quite some time until now when it suddenly came back with a vengence..

Any one knows what is it and how best to deal with it?

Tank is 2.5ftx1.5ftx2ft

250W 20k BLV with 2 x 36W T5s

Macro AS250 skimmer

DIY KR

Sump with macro algae

Water Paras so far:

pH - 8.3

No3 - 2.5ppm

kH - 8

Ca - 400ppm

don have PO4 test kit but I running aquaz purephos (w/o FR)

Help help!

Thanks!

Ervine

post-7-1116851395.jpg

• SRC Member

Get an FR for the purephos, do water changes with clean source water (RODI or Distilled) and a good quality salt, replace activated carbon if you are using it, if not, use activated carbon. Make sure your skimmer is operating properly and set it to wet skim as much as possible. Try to manually remove the algae as much as possible. Maybe you can try getting mexican turbo snails to help with the general algae cleanup as they are excellent as cleanup crew. HTH :)

• SRC Member
Get an FR for the purephos, do water changes with clean source water (RODI or Distilled) and a good quality salt, replace activated carbon if you are using it, if not, use activated carbon. Make sure your skimmer is operating properly and set it to wet skim as much as possible. Try to manually remove the algae as much as possible. Maybe you can try getting mexican turbo snails to help with the general algae cleanup as they are excellent as cleanup crew. HTH :)

a little reluctant to get an FR up... my sump area already packed like crazy and I ran out of power sockets hehe... but i will consider it again...

As for RO/DI water.. don have money to get a proper RO/DI unit.. sigh..

My current turbo snails and hermits won't even touch the thing, neither will my algae blenny... only thing that works so far is my toothbrush...

As for skimmer, already set to wet-ish skim...

Someone suggested a tang but can a tang fit in my 2.5ft?

• SRC Member
Kole tang would be good for a 2.5ft. Doesnt grow very big and one of the best algae busters.

If u dunt have RODI, then get distilled water for your water changes. Dunt use tap water. :)

how abt a yellow tang? aren't they smaller?

• SRC Member

For now I think should pull out by hand as much as possible to prevent more growth and spread...damage control. :)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• 3 weeks later...
Oh yah i did notice something though... the same time that the algae started to bloom again, the macro algae in the refugium did the same...

Of coz bro, they're all algae mah... :P

Nitrates is nitrates, different from your nutrients level or DOC, u can have high nutrient levels with low no3 coz ur DSB may be very effective in removing no3... :P

Anyway, try to control your feeding and also certain foods are super high in nutrients and also, if u using frozen food, make sure you thaw it and not juz dump the cube in... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Of coz bro, they're all algae mah... :P

Nitrates is nitrates, different from your nutrients level or DOC, u can have high nutrient levels with low no3 coz ur DSB may be very effective in removing no3... :P

Anyway, try to control your feeding and also certain foods are super high in nutrients and also, if u using frozen food, make sure you thaw it and not juz dump the cube in... :P

Hmmm... so basically control feeding right?

I wondering if there's some dead spot in my tank that has stored up years of deitrus and is now rotting away happily...

• SRC Member

Hmmm... so basically control feeding right?

I wondering if there's some dead spot in my tank that has stored up years of deitrus and is now rotting away happily...

DO NOT USE YOUR TAP WATER FOR WATER CHANGE unless you run it through a RO/DI unit..........................our tapwater is the direct fuel to algae bloom..........from my own experience.

Eric

• SRC Member
DO NOT USE YOUR TAP WATER FOR WATER CHANGE unless you run it through a RO/DI unit..........................our tapwater is the direct fuel to algae bloom..........from my own experience.

Eric

aiyah bro.. i also wish I can have an RO/DI unit.. haha.. not cheap leh.. hm.. maybe will check out a DI unit first

I've heard this don't use tap water thing qutie often.. how true is this?

aiyah bro.. i also wish I can have an RO/DI unit.. haha.. not cheap leh.. hm.. maybe will check out a DI unit first

Pretty true, most tapwater got no3 nd po4... so better if u can use RO/DI, DI, RO or even distilled eater would be the best... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Temporary you can buy ntuc brand pure water $0.65 per 1.5L