is it necessary to have a skimmer

hammy

is it necessary to have a skimmer for a nano tank ?

2feet and below tank .

if not what is the frequency of water change in ur tank :peace:

if yes , state what skimmer u are using can ?

:thanks:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Ok I must make a confession, I was one of the supports of skimmer-not-needed-in-nanos I wanna repent haha! If theres a skimmer it would be better :)

I say bettter to have a skimmer than none. A skimmer SKIMS up the waste matter and waste food in the tank.

Water change just reduce the waste in the water by percentage as we dont do 100% water change. Water changes r still important.

I suggest, do both! GEt a SKimmEr any kind. if its airstone driven (the wooden one is best) to keep it most efficent, change the stone every month :) or get a prizm :P (Im a fan of it)

And water changes!! a good Salt mix is the best, if not get water from ur LFS(make sure its good :P) or farms :P

ahah cheers!

oo my tank, i dont have a skimmer =X cos i didnt really plan on it and now i dont have so space. I hang my skimmer once awhile when the lights r off and skim overnight. (my skimmer belongs to my other tank :P) But I believe that my tank would still go fine :)

Ok I must make a confession, I was one of the supports of skimmer-not-needed-in-nanos I wanna repent haha! If theres a skimmer it would be better :)

I say bettter to have a skimmer than none. A skimmer SKIMS up the waste matter and waste food in the tank.

Water change just reduce the waste in the water by percentage as we dont do 100% water change. Water changes r still important.

I suggest, do both! GEt a SKimmEr any kind. if its airstone driven (the wooden one is best) to keep it most efficent, change the stone every month :)  or get a prizm :P  (Im a fan of it)

And water changes!! a good Salt mix is the best, if not get water from ur LFS(make sure its good :P) or farms :P

ahah cheers!

oo my tank, i dont have a skimmer =X cos i didnt really plan on it and now i dont have so space. I hang my skimmer once awhile when the lights r off and skim overnight. (my skimmer belongs to my other tank :P) But I believe that my tank would still go fine :)

ya, agree with bro hobbes!

if ur tank got alots of LS, is better to have 1. ;)

a lousy skimmer wont coz u much, ( but is good to have a better 1) :lol:

good luck!

• SRC Member

I suggest, do both! GEt a SKimmEr any kind. if its airstone driven (the wooden one is best) to keep it most efficent, change the stone every month :) or get a prizm :P (Im a fan of it)

ahah cheers!

Yup! I agree.

I think Anthony Calfo said at the seminar that it is not a must to have a skimmer...but then he also said that he does heavy water change regularly.

So I guess having a skimmer will help to remove the excess nutrients before it becomes a problem and will also act as a buffer for any diversion off the weekly water change just in case.

Still he stressed that it's important to continue with weekly regime of water change to dilute excess nutrients.

I think that was the gist of it... :)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

Well, I guess the verdict is out? lol

Well seriously its better to have a cheap airpump skimmer than none.

btw if ur using airpump it will work well if the wooden airstone is new, so get a new stone every month ;)

• SRC Member

since we're on the topic of wooden airstone skimmer, just a qn... my wooden airstone skimmer collection cup is collecting alot of water... I dun think that's normal... I followed the instructions and place the "head" or collection cup above water level... or is my wooden airstone producing too much bubbles?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
since we're on the topic of wooden airstone skimmer, just a qn... my wooden airstone skimmer collection cup is collecting alot of water... I dun think that's normal... I followed the instructions and place the "head" or collection cup above water level... or is my wooden airstone producing too much bubbles?

maybe u wanna try squeeze 2 air stones and bring the whole skimmer higher until when u see the bubbles( at the beginning when u on the skimmer) and wait.. see if u r skimmer alot more water than waste or not... if yes can either move the skimmer higher abit or reduce the bubbles abit.... untill u get the skimate u wan...

at least thats wat i do when i have it...

p.s it can only reduce the amount of water in the skimmate by a little bit, not totally... :P

maybe u wanna try squeeze 2 air stones and bring the whole skimmer higher until when u see the bubbles( at the beginning when u on the skimmer) and wait.. see if u r skimmer alot more water than waste or not... if yes can either move the skimmer higher abit or reduce the bubbles abit.... untill u get the skimate u wan...

at least thats wat i do when i have it...

p.s it can only reduce the amount of water in the skimmate by a little bit, not totally... :P

agreed! i move up about 1-2 inch.

now only the "kopi - o" come in only! ;)

cheer! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

agreed! i move up about 1-2 inch.

now only the "kopi - o" come in only! ;)

cheer! :rolleyes:

wah... i got teh-c only..... :P:D:lol:

• SRC Member
talkin abt skimmers, i just mod my Redsea prizm so that it can fit my tank yay!

congrate!!