help on lionfish

• SRC Member

bros out there...i just bought a lionfish yesterday... when i put it into the tank, i fed it with fresh water prawn and it ate...but today when i came home.. i throw prawn in also.. but the lionfish like dont wan to eat.. it din eat even a tiny little piece.. im afraid that it'll starve to death... advises needed!!! thankss

• SRC Member

hmm.. :huh: Cant really tell from what you have mentioned. Is it still swimming actively or hidding in some corner, breathing heavily?

If it is still swimming, I guess its still alright though you might want to monitor it for the next few days. :)

anyway, try not to feed it with fresh water prawns.. or any fresh water guppies etc.. not healthy for the lions... must tempt them to take frozen food. :D

Angry maybe able to help you with this. He is good with lions ;)

my opinion.

• SRC Member
bros out there...i just bought a lionfish yesterday... when i put it into the tank, i fed it with fresh water prawn and it ate...but today when i came home.. i throw prawn in also.. but the lionfish like dont wan to eat.. it din eat even a tiny little piece.. im afraid that it'll starve to death... advises needed!!! thankss

bro,lionfish no need to feed everyday....is the stomach area still bloated from the last feed? :ph34r: If yes the lion is still full lah... :)

If stomach 'flat flat' :lol: than feed again or every3-4 days feed once enough. ;)

You should not feed lions too often for the following reasons:

(1) It is not their natural behaviour. Since they are more an ambush type of predator than an active one, meals are infrequent. Once to three times a week should be sufficient.

(2) They grow too quickly if you feed them too often, outgrowing the tank and produce too much waste.

(3) They may develop lipidosis if energy intake is excessive (anecdotal).

From personal experience, I also find that ambush predators should not be fed within a few days of purchase(I advocate 3 days including the day of purchase). The stress somehow affects their ability to digest, and they will eat more on impulse than out of hunger.

In any case, once they feel full, they will reject food. So you don't have to be worried if a lion eats today and not tomorrow. But if its stomach is flat and it rejects food, then something is seriously wrong.