In-wall tank and Room seprator tank

jc85

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I'm currently planning for my new home. Have not engage any contractor or ID yet. As I'm a reef hobbyist. Naturally, I'll wan to have a reef tank in my new home either a in-wall or room separator type.

Questions:

1) Anyone aware of any ID that can do gd interior design with fish tank?

2) Will ID work with external tank maker?

Thanks

JC

• SRC Member

just to share, had two friends met with a slight problem.

Friend 1.

full cabinet tank that integrated the tv and hi-fi console. but tank dimension, drilled overflow placement with holes in cabinet was way out and only got to settle it after some heated arguement. Tank was made by a seperate vendor.

So, you may wan to be very careful with the dimension issue.

Friend 2.

let one ID contrator do everything, including the tall tank. In the end, the tank almost couldn't take the pressure and "bent" a little. Bracing was applied later to save the day.

So, get a skilled tank maker to make your tank.

hope it helps in some ways

bro, i think its a great idea to have a separate room and a in wall tank. You can check reefcentral, there are many tanks which are build in such a way and hopefully it will give u some ideas. And i agree with bro hotlemond, get a reliable tank maker.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
just to share, had two friends met with a slight problem.

Friend 1.

full cabinet tank that integrated the tv and hi-fi console. but tank dimension, drilled overflow placement with holes in cabinet was way out and only got to settle it after some heated arguement. Tank was made by a seperate vendor.

So, you may wan to be very careful with the dimension issue.

Friend 2.

let one ID contrator do everything, including the tall tank. In the end, the tank almost couldn't take the pressure and "bent" a little. Bracing was applied later to save the day.

So, get a skilled tank maker to make your tank.

hope it helps in some ways

Hi Bro, u brought up the exact worries I have. The safeest way I can think of now is to get ID do the house reno den get a tank maker to do the tank later. But must ensure that it matches my house design concept is not easy.

• SRC Member
bro, i think its a great idea to have a separate room and a in wall tank. You can check reefcentral, there are many tanks which are build in such a way and hopefully it will give u some ideas. And i agree with bro hotlemond, get a reliable tank maker.

Hi Bro, thanks for the advice. Actually, I think i seen all those in-wall tank in RC liao. :P They are great DIY guru.

But we're in Singapore. I'm only an average guy who can only afford HDB. How to delicate one room just for fish tank? Must think of family also. Not fair to them lar to use up one room just for my hobby rite. AT is very luck imho to be able to do it.

Thus my best options is to have a in-wall with cabinet or a separator kind of tank.

Hopefully I can see some example? Anyone has such experience, pls share it?

Thanks

JC

• SRC Member

Same here! Tank was done by Lim Han Teck. My divider wall/ cabinet about to be completed by my ID/renovator coz house undergoing renovations. Cabinet made so that the tank can be slid out/removed in case of tank leak (fingers crossed but you'll never know...sh#t happens!) instead of having to demolish the whole cabinet.

Can let you have my ID/renovator's contact if you want! :)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
How big is the proposed tank? I went with the Interior Designer wrapping the tank up with cabinet once the tank in its permanent place. Tank/stand/sump was done by Lim Han Teck.

Planning for either a 4ft x 2.5ft x 2ft or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft (LxWxh).

Do you mean that Mr. Lim Han Teck will provide the tank and stand? ID will take over the construction of Cabinet after tank is in place?

• SRC Member
Same here! Tank was done by Lim Han Teck. My divider wall/ cabinet about to be completed by my ID/renovator coz house undergoing renovations. Cabinet made so that the tank can be slid out/removed in case of tank leak (fingers crossed but you'll never know...sh#t happens!) instead of having to demolish the whole cabinet.

Can let you have my ID/renovator's contact if you want! :)

Wow. Interesting. You can slid the tank out? Is it under contructing now? Any pics to share or best if I can visit ur place. :P

Can pm me your contact, pls? Thanks!

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member

Planning for either a 4ft x 2.5ft x 2ft or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft (LxWxh).

Do you mean that Mr. Lim Han Teck will provide the tank and stand? ID will take over the construction of Cabinet after tank is in place?

Yup, that is what I did since i was renovating my house at the same time. Han Teck is more than capable of doing up the cabinet by himself if you choose to do the whole thing with him. In my case, the tank/sand was done by him and after i finalised the position of the tank, IDs took over and did the cabinet works. :)

• SRC Member

Wow. Interesting. You can slid the tank out? Is it under contructing now? Any pics to share or best if I can visit ur place. :P

Can pm me your contact, pls? Thanks!

Cheers

JC

Hi jc85,

Yup. The whole tank is tri-view ie. front view=dining area, side view=corridor leading to bedrooms, back view=study. The cabinets are built at the study and with Han Teck's advice, designed so that the tank can be slid out so that the cabinet need not be thrashed in order to remove the tank.

Will post some pics next week or so when the renos are over.

:D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

Yup, that is what I did since i was renovating my house at the same time. Han Teck is more than capable of doing up the cabinet by himself if you choose to do the whole thing with him. In my case, the tank/sand was done by him and after i finalised the position of the tank, IDs took over and did the cabinet works. :)

hi alfaromeo,

Had the idea in mind and when I met with Han Teck to discuss designs for the tank, he said that you did the same thing. :D

Was pretty much inspired by your tank! :D

How's the going? Cheers!