What sort of filtration should i use??

Hokag3

I am thinking of setting up a 2x1x1 tank. Intending to keep various kinds of lps, 2x mini blue tangs and 1x fire goby...for now..

Of course i know that the sump is the best filtration recommended, but would other kinds of filtration such as hang on filter suffice?

Pls advise :thanks:

cannot,2 mini BT would eventually grow in adult tank,ur tank is way too small...

Even in my 2.5ft tank i keep only 1 mini BT

Yesh,hang-on filter would suffice as long as u r able to keep NH3,NO2,NO3 levels low..

Oh yes, get a skimmer unless u r prepared to make weekly water changes...

Blue Tangs are large fish?I have seen BTs the size of an adult plam...

NSW is ok,just get them from LFS..

About air-stone skimmer,get the best skimmer because next time u want to upgrade u do not have to buy another skimmer..I am not saying that u get a beckket for ur nano but rather get a good sized one

• SRC Member

i won't even put 1 BT in a 2x1x1 let alone 2 bro...

I recommend you don't bother with airstone skimmers... coz after a month or two you need to change the airstone.. quite a trouble (esp for lazy people like me)..

I suggest you just go ahead and get a cheap weipro 2011 or 2012... go ask on 2nd hand market...

i will recommand u get a prizm skimmer and eheim external skimmer .

the best is still a sump .

just my 2 cent .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
:thanks: 4 the advice

but mini BT will grow 1?? it's not those dwarf species where their adult size is oso mini 1?? pardon me 4 my ignorance...

btw, i intend to use NSW 4 the nano...so can i use those air stone skimmer??

bro, those small blue tangs u see are just young blue tangs...not miniature...they can reach their full adult sizes which are really quite big...around 25cm or so if i am not wrong and they grow fast...

just my 2 cents :peace:

• SRC Member
they can reach their full adult sizes which are really quite big...around 25cm or so if i am not wrong and they grow fast...

i come across a book which recorded is 35cm.. :lol:

• 1 month later...

for such a small tank, u can't put BT in there, also, can't mix fire goby into it as it is too timid with tangs swimming in it....

Anyway, Tangs are big eaters (bioload), it will reduce your setup to waste in 3 mths after they start to put put,

I kept 2 ft cube with 1 BT and 1 YT, fire goby got so scared that it refused to swim out...

just keep nano fishes and as many LRs u can squeeze in there; helps on the load and keep your tank nice and colorful

unless u can get an imported CPR Bak Pak from USA, heard it is a really good combo filter with skimmer.