Live rock and live sand

Hi guys,

Newbie here so got some qns regarding the above topic...

1. How come the price range of live rock differ by so much? I've seen $8/kg, $3 or $5/kg and even $16/KG!!!

2. How do I recognise real live rocks n non-live rocks? Or rather, a better live rock versus plain live rock?(hopefully, u guys knows wat i'm trying to ask.)

3. Similar qns here, where can I find live sand?

4. How to know whether the sand is live sand?

Thanks and regards...

Firstly, the difference in price of the rocks are due to the area that the rock is collected. If it is from Indonesia, it will be cheaper that those from Tonga.

As to the quality of the rocks, usually price will make the difference but the prescence of coralline and the lack of life (ironic right?) like algaes or sponges will secure you a cured rock. Of course another way is through a reliable source which you can do a search on here ;)

As for live sand, it is commercially available and can be bought from some shops.

But remember, for a sandbed to work fully, infauna is the pivotal factor which you can't find in the commercially available sand.

For the question on how to see whether a sand is live, usually its stated in the packaging or else its just normal sand :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Firstly, the difference in price of the rocks are due to the area that the rock is collected. If it is from Indonesia, it will be cheaper that those from Tonga.

As to the quality of the rocks, usually price will make the difference but the prescence of coralline and the lack of life (ironic right?) like algaes or sponges will secure you a cured rock. Of course another way is through a reliable source which you can do a search on here ;)

As for live sand, it is commercially available and can be bought from some shops.

But remember, for a sandbed to work fully, infauna is the pivotal factor which you can't find in the commercially available sand.

For the question on how to see whether a sand is live, usually its stated in the packaging or else its just normal sand :lol:

Ok, most of the rocks I observed has got something like a reddish brown layer on it. As I'm newbie, I can't ascertain whether are those the coralline algae thats y dunno how to choose.

Regarding the searching for reliable source, I really dun get what u mean... If need be, do u mind PM me(assuming that its not convenient to tell me here)

Thanks again and sorry for so many silly billy qns...