Fish Stock

Hi Everyone,

Just confirmed my new 3 x 2.5 x 2.5 tank with sump system and cabinet.

Coming soon so now looking at the list of fishes that I want to keep and need some advise on its suitability:

1) Imperator Angel

2) Blue Tang

3) Yellow Tang

4) Achilles Adult Tang

5) Powder Blue Tang

6) White Cheek Tang

7) Sailfin Tang

8) Bicolor Angel

9) Clarkii Clown

Love to have a tank full of tangs, as you can see from my selection above.

Any concerns? Would it be ok?

• SRC Member

3ft is not recommended even for a single tang.... you got so many... good luck is all I can say.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

It's nice to have lots of beauutiful fish in your tank, but I'm afraid you are going for far too many in a 3ft tank. You will only have a "battle field" where only the fittest will survive.

The Angels will enjoy eating up whatever corals you have in the tank. Do find out more about "compactibility" of fish and other creatures in marine tanks before stocking you tank. By doing so you will save $$$$$$$$ and have less stress.

If I am not wrong, you are not new in this hobby. You joined SRC in August 2004.

• SRC Member

Understand your love for tangs as they are real beauties. Kept them myself but failed with powder blue and AT. Both succumbed to white spots. AT is especially sensitive to white spots and need high quality water. Yellow tangs are pretty hardy.

Decide carefully on what you want to have in your tank first and then try your best to have them at the same time. Otherwise, get the less aggressive and smaller ones first and the bigger ones later. Introducing new fish later will be a problem as they will be bullied by the more established ones. Also, you would need to create sufficient "hiding places" with rocks, just in case some fish would need them. They all have "territories" and will guard them well.

Hope you will have a beautiful marine tank in which you fish will be healthy and happy.

• SRC Member

Anyone has any experience keeping juvenile blue hippo (regal) tangs? These ~5cm long babies seem to be quite common in LFSes recently and at prices as low as $10. I see that they're quite popular with aquarists too, but i'm kinda skeptical over their survivability leh.

• SRC Member

I have 3 regal tang and all doing fine. I started off with one and was having problems with ich. Somehow, it survived a few bouts of ich. I fed it with garlic soaked seaweeds. The seaweeds I use are those sold in packs (70cts/pack), not those sold in fishshops which are far more costly. I cut them up into small bits (take some trouble and time doing so). Later I bought 3 baby regal tangs (1 inch) because they were very cute. One died. Now the other two are almost as big as my old one and are always fighting.

Tangs love seaweeds and they eat alot of them. All I did was to soak some seaweeds in garlic, vitamin or plain water and sprinkle them into the tank. If they do not go for them at first try mixing them with their normal food. Once they start feeding on them it's a joy to watch them. Most books and lfs recommend tying seaweeds or vegetable to rocks. I tried that at first but found that they eat very little. They eat much more seaweeds from they way I feed them. Now I just sprinkle some dry cut-up seaweeds into the tank during feeding time and the will snap up every bit of them.

It is true they are not easy to keep in tank unless they are introduced together. They fight a lot - even the babies do it. So if you want to start get 2 or 3 together, not just one. Create lots of hiding places for them.

One thing worth noting is that from my personal experience, I discovered that everytime I fed my fish with chopped prawn meat (from the market) the tang were badly infected by ich. I cannot explain why and how it happened, but it was too coincidental. It happened all the time. My latest casualty was my Achilles Tang in my reef tank.

• SRC Member
Anyone has any experience keeping juvenile blue hippo (regal) tangs? These ~5cm long babies seem to be quite common in LFSes recently and at prices as low as $10. I see that they're quite popular with aquarists too, but i'm kinda skeptical over their survivability leh.

I started my 2 regal with this size and after like 6 months, they shows sign of HLLE like wat Veliferium told. Then i mix thier diet with plenty of veggie everyday.

Now they are a year old and doing great.

I realised with Tangs, thier diet is the upmost importances. you can't just throw in something once a day and expect them to live long term.

One will need to scheduled thier food like Formulae 1 and Nori sheet in the morning, then mixed seafood meaty in the evening. use of garlic guard is highly beneficial for them too.