RO EQUIPMENT

amphipod

Hi,

Need some experienced reefers' feedback on locally available RO units. Looking at 2-stage type to see if cost effective for making top up water (3L daily) vs use distilled water & preparing SW vs buying NSW. Don't have much confidence with DI unit performance having zero reject rate.

• SRC Member

Our country is reputable to being the top five countries in the world having the cleanest water direct from our tap.

This simply means that we have the least amount of impurities in our water unlike other countries where the reefers need to have RO/DI units to "purify" the water for aquarium usage or drinking consumption.

IMHO, our tap water doesn't warrant us to use costly RO equipment to further "clean" impurities in our water other than chlorine, chloramines, phosphates, heavy metals and many others.

Having a DI unit is a better alternative, I think, to remove phosphates, silicates, nitrates, etc which is recommend for a reef tank.

Fyi, the water in the following areas were tested with a TDS meter with the following result unlike other countries having high reading measurement readings:

1) Sengkang - 80 ppm

2) AMK - 75 ppm

3) Redhill - 85 ppm

4) ToaPayoh - around 80+ (can't remember)

My 2 cts.

• SRC Member
Our country is reputable to being the top five countries in the world having the cleanest water direct from our tap.

This simply means that we have the least amount of impurities in our water unlike other countries where the reefers need to have RO/DI units to "purify" the water for aquarium usage or drinking consumption.

IMHO, our tap water doesn't warrant us to use costly RO equipment to further "clean" impurities in our water other than chlorine, chloramines, phosphates, heavy metals and many others.

Having a DI unit is a better alternative, I think, to remove phosphates, silicates, nitrates, etc which is recommend for a reef tank.

Fyi, the water in the following areas were tested with a TDS meter with the following result unlike other countries having high reading measurement readings:

1) Sengkang - 80 ppm

2) AMK - 75 ppm

3) Redhill - 85 ppm

4) ToaPayoh - around 80+ (can't remember)

My 2 cts.

Damn..................80ppm!!!! no wonder I straight away get algae bloom the next day after using tapwater for topup.

Eric

RO = reject impurities.

DI = replace "toxic" ions with safe ions.

You might get 0 TDS after DI stage thinking the water is very pure but in actual fact most of the ions present in the DI only water do not register any TDS count.

This means that RO+DI still give more pure water than DI stage alone.