to confirm feeding habit of certain mushroom group

shoelevy

• SRC Member

dear all,

for quite some time i've noticed that when i feed brine or mysis to my fishes, stray individual pieces of brine or mysis will stick on the yumas surface when drifting too close

my thoughts are that it wouldn't make sense for a coral to generate and maintain a sticky surface if it wasn't interested in capturing food.

so today, i decided to feed my yuma while keeping my hand in to keep the fishes from stealing the food and sure enough, the yuma consumed the food.

however, when i tried this on my discosoma, i found that they lacked the sticky surface and food would just be swept away by the current.

i also tried feeding my ricordeas but accidentally shocked them then they all closed up and so i don't know if they are the same as disco or my yuma in terms of feeding habits

so the purpose of this thread is just to confirm with others who have experience on:

1) does your yuma accept feeding?

2)does your discosoma accept feeding?

3)does your florida accept feeding?

appreaciate all inputs.

thank you

• SRC Member

1) Only SOME yuma accept feeding

2) Discosoma too accept feeding. (But you won't wan to feed them..)

3) Yes ALL of them Accept feeding.

*All of the above based on my personal experience.

I've noticed that Ricordias have an interesting way of feeding. I feed them a mix of zooplankton and cyclopeez. As a squirt the mixture on the rics they produce a layer of mucus that gathers the particles. they then slowly suck the mucus in...