What filter media to use?

• SRC Member
Hi, I have already set up and running (now mixing the salt) a 2x1x1 c/w sump. Now I am wondering what to do next...which filter media should i use?

Bio balls or coral chips?

Forget abt the refugium too since the sump is quite small. Not going to help much. Filled up your main tank with Live rocks for bio-filteration, & go with a powerful skimmer (eg. H&S or Beckett) in the first compartment & return pump, chiller pump on the last compartment. Simple, clean operation.

Eric

• SRC Member
Yup, agree with Eric...my sump 2 small 4 refugium, but really dun need any bio filter?? First time i heard of it :shock:

With large amount of live rocks.. it is a bio-filter :lol:

• SRC Member

Forget abt the refugium too since the sump is quite small. Not going to help much. Filled up your main tank with Live rocks for bio-filteration, & go with a powerful skimmer (eg. H&S or Beckett) in the first compartment & return pump, chiller pump on the last compartment. Simple, clean operation.

Eric

:ooh: Dun mind me asking. Wat do you mean when you mentioned first compartment & return pump? Are you refering to the same compartment?

Isn't the first compartment for the water to flow down from the main tank, and the return pump in the last compartment where it pumps the water back to the main tank?

Sorry, me still learning, thats why I asked. Pls enlighten me. :thanks:

coral chips n bio balls can act as bio filters to allow aerobic bacterias ==> converts ammonia to nitrate.

However, they may trap debris and may also be a nitrate factory and the final product nitrate would be a big problem

Live rocks are good as it also allows anaerobic bacteria to thrive as well, to convert nitrate to n2.

This is what i learnt from the forum. Correct me if i m wrong. Thanks.

• SRC Member

:ooh: Dun mind me asking. Wat do you mean when you mentioned first compartment & return pump? Are you refering to the same compartment?

Isn't the first compartment for the water to flow down from the main tank, and the return pump in the last compartment where it pumps the water back to the main tank?

Sorry, me still learning, thats why I asked. Pls enlighten me. :thanks:

Ya, 1st compartment is where your tank water overflow down, which is where your skimmer pump should be too.

Your last compartment would be where you place your return pumps (pump water back to tank). Just before your last compartment its good to have 3 or more layers of baffle plates to reduce air bubbles from going back to tank.

Eric

• SRC Member

Ya, 1st compartment is where your tank water overflow down, which is where your skimmer pump should be too.

Your last compartment would be where you place your return pumps (pump water back to tank). Just before your last compartment its good to have 3 or more layers of baffle plates to reduce air bubbles from going back to tank.

Eric

Aren't skimmer pump suppose to be in the middle/second compartment?

• SRC Member
coral chips n bio balls can act as bio filters to allow aerobic bacterias ==> converts ammonia to nitrate.

However, they may trap debris and may also be a nitrate factory and the final product nitrate would be a big problem

Live rocks are good as it also allows anaerobic bacteria to thrive as well, to convert nitrate to n2.

This is what i learnt from the forum. Correct me if i m wrong. Thanks.

the reason y bio balls will become nitrate factories...the only reason is bcos reefers here did not place a strainer of top of the bio balls tower..with a sponge on top and a strainer...how would dirt enter the bio ball tower??? therefore..bio balls are useful to a large extent and of cuz..with the correct usage...nitrate factory is defintely a NONO!!...for a small sump...glass rings can also be introduce to home bacteria.. :lol::evil:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
I think it would be better if there is a picture of the sump, of how all the equipments r placed so newbies like me can learn frm it. :D

Sorry...i know this is a bit spoon feed.... :paiseh:

1st compartment is where your overflow from tank goes in, that should be where you put your skimmer pump so most detritus carried over will be skim out. 2nd compartment you can put ur calcium reactor or you can leave it empty. 3rd compartment is where your return pump is. In between 2nd & 3rd, there should be layers of baffle plates to eliminate air bubbles.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Hahaha I confuse liao,

Pai Seh very newbie.

My current setup is:

4 compartment Sump 3ft x 1.5ft x 14"

1st compariment(water from tank)

- Suspended filter wool(common white wool from LFS)

- Followed by strainer and bioball(still suspendend on top of water)

- Den A.R.M(Ammonia Removal Media underwater)

2nd compartment

- Skimmer

3rd compartment

- currently nothin inside but plan to load tons of algae plants inside.

Inbetween the 2 baffel plate of 3rd and 4th

- active carbon wool

4th compartment

- return pump and control valve

I feel abit weird about the active carbon location was wondering if i should relocate it???

Any senior here care to comment about my setup??

All comment good or bad are welcome. Would very much wanna learn more :peace:

Rgds

Tak