Current in 2 ft tank

• SRC Member

Need some advice... Bros, which wavemaker or powerhead is suitable for making current flow in a 2 ft tank desirable?? I heard of brand like Seio.... which model is good?? cos mine is a small tank... i am afraid of buting something that creates too strong a current in my tank?

Depends on what fish, corals and inverts you are planning to keep. Some fish like damsels, chromises etc prefer higher flow while fish like pipefish, boxfish, etc prefer gentler flow. Corals like Sps require strong flow while most LPS prefer gentle-moderate flow. Then again if the pump is too strong you can always diffuse the flow by reflecting the flow off the glass or by splitting the outlet into two.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Brother, i juz got one Eden wavemaker.. got it for $30 at my neigbourhood fish shop...seem to be ok.. got rotating head.. 1000l/h.. i got to adjust it to slower flow as mine is a small 2 feet tank... at max flow ...the salt splashing is crazy... but after i commission this wavemaker.. my macro needle wheel skimmer go a bit crazy..the discharge is always chalky... why is that so ?? i got experienced this a few times...it will got away after some time... but this time.. its continuing to be like this for more than 1 hr... thats bad ... haiz.. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
use seio 620 it good and not too strong . just nice for 2 ft

Brother gerald, i juz got the seio 620 for my 2 feet tank... disasterous results... create desert storm (sand flying) in my 2 feet tank... even when i adjust the flowrate of the seio 620 to lowest... Caused my anthia to up lorry and now other fishes also not very well... my true percula struggling... :(

Now i fixed the seio 620 discharge going against the tank glass to stop the desert storm.. brother can advice me what can be done?? :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

Brother gerald, i juz got the seio 620 for my 2 feet tank... disasterous results... create desert storm (sand flying) in my 2 feet tank... even when i adjust the flowrate of the seio 620 to lowest... Caused my anthia to up lorry and now other fishes also not very well... my true percula struggling... :(

Now i fixed the seio 620 discharge going against the tank glass to stop the desert storm.. brother can advice me what can be done?? :thanks::thanks:

hmmm do away wif the seio........ ;)

• SRC Member

hmmm do away wif the seio........ ;)

Hi Bro lester, i am very confused abt the seio M620 wavemaker... heard some reefers say its gd for 2 feet tank... but after buying then realise current is too strong.. haiz.. now dnt know how liao... I thought i saw some fish shop also using seio wavemaker in their small 2 feet display tank without any problem... :(:(

• SRC Member
Adjust the flow on the seio. Thats a min to max range to the flow. check the manual for instructions.

bro, i already adjust to min.. current still too strong ?? AFter work, will go c can adjust the positioning to make it better or not............. :nc:

• SRC Member
since when seio 620 can make fishes die one.. last time i uses 820 for my 2footer also no problem. See how u play with it only.

Brother, i did not mean the seio wavemaker can kill fishes... u badly misunderstood me :lol:

My fish die cos when i put the seio M620 in the tank that time...due to my negligence and initial poor positioning... it creates a very bad sand storm in my tank... thus resulting in casualty..... :( now i juz hope when i am back home at night.. my fishes still ok... :cry2:

• SRC Member

Hi Bro lester, i am very confused abt the seio M620 wavemaker... heard some reefers say its gd for 2 feet tank... but after buying then realise current is too strong.. haiz.. now dnt know how liao... I thought i saw some fish shop also using seio wavemaker in their small 2 feet display tank without any problem... :(:(

hi bro ....

:D

actually ur water volume is a little little from wat i see tat day at ur house.. IMO from wat i see.. ur setup consist of DSB. quite a number of LR which took up most of the same.. you are only running a ohf.. i think a seio is not suitable for your tank.. a rain bar will be just nice...

maybe u can keep the seio first and use it when u upgrade :P.. hmm btw ur fishes ( a few few ) will grow up quite fast.. do make further plan quick.. hehe

cheers :D

• SRC Member

hi bro ....

:D

actually ur water volume is a little little from wat i see tat day at ur house.. IMO from wat i see.. ur setup consist of DSB. quite a number of LR which took up most of the same.. you are only running a ohf.. i think a seio is not suitable for your tank.. a rain bar will be just nice...

maybe u can keep the seio first and use it when u upgrade :P.. hmm btw ur fishes ( a few few ) will grow up quite fast.. do make further plan quick.. hehe

Brother Lester, thanks for yr suggestion ... :)

Felt very frustrated with the seio 620 yest.. and very demoralized as the sand storm actually cause a casualty and as i write now..my nemo could have up lorry already... i still at workplace.. hope things be ok when i get home... Actually i have no idea what is a rainbar... but may drop at C328 to ask abt that equipment and c what it is...

Btw, i still can't figure out why other bro can even use seio m820 w/o any problem in a 2 feet tank whereas i get so much problem ... is it due to my DSB???

• SRC Member

Brother Lester, thanks for yr suggestion ... :)

Felt very frustrated with the seio 620 yest.. and very demoralized as the sand storm actually cause a casualty and as i write now..my nemo could have up lorry already... i still at workplace.. hope things be ok when i get home... Actually i have no idea what is a rainbar... but may drop at C328 to ask abt that equipment and c what it is...

Btw, i still can't figure out why other bro can even use seio m820 w/o any problem in a 2 feet tank whereas i get so much problem ... is it due to my DSB???

hi bro...

dun feel fus... :D relax... we bound to face one problem or another now and then in reefing. hehe that where we learned from our mistakes :D

hmmm as i was saying.. rem tat day when i am at ur house? i comment on ur tank LR layout. imo, i believe the layout of ur rocks and DSB took up alots of space in ur tank.. leaving only small volume of water. plus not forgetting u have quite a number of fishes that require lots of swimming space. hmm and also when we say 2 feet..there are alot of two feet. some wif taller height.. some wif wider width..

first thing first, u have to understand how a seio works.. it is not just a motor in it to push water outwards to create "current" it is design in such a way tat is actually works like a educator ( sorry if wrong spelling :P )

well i also no expert myself.. maybe a posted pic here for the more experts here in SRC could helps you solve ur problem.. :D

p/s so u bought anything at c328?? hehe the rainbar is actually just a pipe wif holes in it.. the end is capped...

• SRC Member

Bro lester, thanks for yr invaluable advice... still too naive at times... take everything of what the LFS and others' advice... resulting in my tank mini crash... 1st time encounter such a drastic crash... total death toll is at four.. hope no more liao.. :cry::cry2: haiz...

The most senior member which is in heaven now,is my brown tang.. abt 8 mths with me and everytime eat like a pig... next is my blenny being with me 1 mth plus and my anthia.. 1mth and my true percula which is 3 days.. already start feeding b4 the tragedy strikes...

This is the results of over enthusiam to make my current flow in my mini 2 feet tank better... in the end only results in loss of vitamin M and deaths..

Today the surviving fishes are getting slightly better and already start eating again after i done a Emergency water change.. Hope its all over liao... :angry: