Tunze 6080 in a SPS dominated 2' Cube?

dandelion76

• SRC Member

Dear Reefers,

Finally my 2' cube tank is up and running. Am planning to start a SPS dominated tank with some LPS and softies (yuma & ric), but now I am facing the dilemma of using the right wave makers. :(

I have a Tunze 6080 which I bought from a reefer not long ago, and am very tempted to use it as the cube tank's sole wave maker. Is this over-kill as it's rated at 8500 l/h.

In such a small tank how should I place it? Would the current too strong to the extend that even SPS cannot take it? :o

My current plan is to get a magnectic holder and mount it somewhere at the back glass panel, behind the rockscape, then direct the flow to the left side glass and let it be diverted towards the front glass. Will I create a whirlpool insteed with this setting?

And lastly, what about night time? I know for controllable tunze stream, the flow is reduced when the lights is off, but since mine is a non-controllable ones, should I off it at night or just let it run 24/7? Would it do more harm than good to the SPS & fishes if I off it at night?

Would greatly appreciate tunze users for opinions, advises, and tips on ways to use tunze successfully in such a small tank.

Many many thanks in advance.

:bow:

• SRC Member

no such thing as too strong flow...i had used a 6100 (12000 litre) for a 2 feet 10 gallon nano before....:P

for your case, you can try to use heavy rocks to deflect flow of the pump such that SPS will recevied the bulk of the flow while LPS recieve little...

• SRC Member
no such thing as too strong flow...i had used a 6100 (12000 litre) for a 2 feet 10 gallon nano before....:P

for your case, you can try to use heavy rocks to deflect flow of the pump such that SPS will recevied the bulk of the flow while LPS recieve little...

12,000 l/h for a 10g tank :shock:

U r the man bro tineng :lol:

Ok, now I have more fate liaoz.. :lol:

More input, more input pls... :P

• SRC Member
Dear Reefers,

Finally my 2' cube tank is up and running. Am planning to start a SPS dominated tank with some LPS and softies (yuma & ric), but now I am facing the dilemma of using the right wave makers. :(

I have a Tunze 6080 which I bought from a reefer not long ago, and am very tempted to use it as the cube tank's sole wave maker. Is this over-kill as it's rated at 8500 l/h.

In such a small tank how should I place it? Would the current too strong to the extend that even SPS cannot take it? :o

My current plan is to get a magnectic holder and mount it somewhere at the back glass panel, behind the rockscape, then direct the flow to the left side glass and let it be diverted towards the front glass. Will I create a whirlpool insteed with this setting?

And lastly, what about night time? I know for controllable tunze stream, the flow is reduced when the lights is off, but since mine is a non-controllable ones, should I off it at night or just let it run 24/7? Would it do more harm than good to the SPS & fishes if I off it at night?

Would greatly appreciate tunze users for opinions, advises, and tips on ways to use tunze successfully in such a small tank.

Many many thanks in advance.

:bow:

Use a 6000 or 6100 series for pulsing mode to keep the detritus in suspend. TS07 will be great for your nano!

Without pulsing mode, the tank will have dead spots and detritus will be collected there.

If possible, add another small maxi or seio 620/820 to aim at the flow of the pulsing tunze stream to help break the strong direct flow into ramdom indirect flow.

I dont advice you to turn off your stream tunze at night since that will be your main circulating flow in your tank. Its perfectly ok to leave the tunze running 24hrs.

Your sps corals will luv you for it.

Eric

• SRC Member

Thanks Eric for sharing your experience. I would love to have TS07 but currently have to be content with 6080. Remember when I first got my FL from u, 8 months down the road I am now using a 250W MH liaoz.. :lol: So, TS07 or wavebox could be something that's foreseable in a not too far future :lol:

Will follow ur advice and will try to use a seio 820 (happend to have one with me) to aim at the tunze to creat more turbulence.

Thanks bro. :thanks:

• SRC Member

If you use controllable Tunzes like 6000 or 6100 you should be ok for a 2 feet cube but I would advise against a 6080 or any non-controllable Tunzes in a tank your size unless you deflect the flow and make sure none of your SPS is in the direction of your Tunze flow. (which is difficult for a 2 feet tank.......space is a premium... :P )

SPS can take very strong flow but not constant one direction. If your Tunze pulses the strong flow only come intermittently and this the SPS can take. Non-controllable Tunzes don't have this option and you end up with SPS pulverised with the one directional strong flow for hours. Then the tissue will go.

The key to flow for SPS is random flow. Strong random flow will be the best but random is more important.

BTW a Tunze 6000 will be good enough for your tank. ;)

• SRC Member

Thanks so much bro scarab... Actually I am still pretty new in SPS.. only thinking of starting coz it's really really BEAUTIFUL!

Will keep ur advise in mind, and will try to play around with the tunze. By using magnetic holder (just ordered from RD) hopefully i can find a sweet spot that creat lots of random flow in my up-coming set-up. :lol:

Really admire ur tank actually, and ur photograhy skills is superd!! :peace:

(i used to take a lot macro photos, so I know great photos lies in ones' skills, not equipment) :off:

hopefully can pay u a visit some day :yeah: