will dottyback eat cleaner shrimp ?

• SRC Member

will it be ok if the shrimp is bigger than the dotty back ?

;)

Yoh, bro. Look it this way:

You are likely "gambling" on this one leh.

Unless your shrimp will ALWAYS be bigger than the fish, "maybe" ok quah.

In the fish-eat-meat world, size doesn't really matter. Unless its oversize quah.

But then, we never know when the bigger shrimp is molting, whether the fish take chance or not leh, knowing (is its own way) that the big burger is now more soft leh.

BTW, skunk cleaner shrimp quite cheap quah, can try try and see see loh

:P

Personal experience when i intro my cleaner shrimp. When shrimp was first intro, the dottyback will attack it because it is trying to protect its "territory". But after a while, it just doesnt bother the shrimp anymore. This happen twice for me.

The shrimp will do "disappearing act" for a few days occassionally when it is molting, it is normal.

• SRC Member
Personal experience when i intro my cleaner shrimp. When shrimp was first intro, the dottyback will attack it because it is trying to protect its "territory". But after a while, it just doesnt bother the shrimp anymore. This happen twice for me.

The shrimp will do "disappearing act" for a few days occassionally when it is molting, it is normal.

Dunno whether I'm right anot ... how about providing a better hidout, like more LR and coral, for the shrimps will reduce lesser chance of being attack?

:huh:

Qazwer

• SRC Member

will it be ok if the shrimp is bigger than the dotty back ?

;)

Think that it doesn't matter when it comes to size between shrimp and fish.

In my case it was a six-line wrasse.

Had a banded coral shrimp that was abt 1.5 times the size of the wrasse. The wrasse pecked out the shrimp's eyes first, then the head. You'd think that with the long claws of the banded coral shrimp it'll at least put on a fight but no chance for the shrimp at all. Became fish food in under 10 sec! :cry2:

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
my few cleaner shrimp has gone awol, suspect the strawberry dottyback is the culprit . any bro/sis

please input. :)

The bigger dottybacks species will eat shrimps but not the smaller species like sunrise, orchid, royal, etc. Look at it's size and mouth in comparision to the shrimp as a guide.

so no more shrimp for me ? ;)

For me, I would rather loose the Dottybacks rather than the shrimps.

If you like a Dottyback looking fish that is friendlier towards shrimps, you can try P. fridmani, P. flavivertex or even the Gramma sp. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

For me, I would rather loose the Dottybacks rather than the shrimps.

If you like a Dottyback looking fish that is friendlier towards shrimps, you can try P. fridmani, P. flavivertex or even the Gramma sp. ;)

Agree!!! :yeah:

I like shrimps more ...