6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

5 babies i got from AM few days ago.

nursing it in the beta box after i realising that they are tiny enough to swim through my overflow teeth. yet to find something suitable to fit over the overflow box to prevent them from being washed into it.

post-34-1122886682.jpg

• SRC Member
Nice setup!  :)  What are the dimensions of your tank?

Cute baby blue tangs! I was so tempted to buy them when I saw them at AM. Will they start to school when released in the main tank?

:peace:

thanks

it's 5x2.5x2.5

but minus the overflow compartment. left 4.5x2.5x2.5

i dunno the baby tangs will school or not. :)

but i was told that chromis would, but probably cos i got too many of them, they don't most of the time unless it's feeding time.

Nice set-up!

I especially like your carpentry skill! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Btw, can share how you do the actual set-up? The Woodworks and the Glassworks?

Thanks in Advance. :thanks:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Nice set-up!

I especially like your carpentry skill! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Btw, can share how you do the actual set-up? The Woodworks and the Glassworks?

Thanks in Advance. :thanks:

thanks.

i'm no expert in carpentry. at most as good as anyone who passed his sec 2 technical subject. and it's going to cost only slightly cheaper to diy if the cabinet is to be made like mine. Reason is i used extra timber to build it for strength. my tank with water, sand, rocks, sump, etc prbly weighs close to a ton. but in any case, so long as you are comfortable, a stand with 4 legs(6 legs for 4ft and above) and square top and bottom frames should support a 3ft tank well.

i built the stand first, then stuck plywood on it to make a cabinet.

for the stand, all you need is an electric drill, drill bit, electric screw driver, a 10-dollar handsaw, 2-inch and 3-inch screws. no planer, grinder, electric saw, etc. I copied the design from the net. no instructions given.

tank is ordered one. choice of wood for the stand, i use kapur, which is half the price of chengai.

heard from the uncle at RE**** his tank stands are made of kapur. u can trust the strength and durability of it.

post-34-1122897453.jpg

• SRC Member

i didn't have to do any sawing at home cos i ordered the timber cut to exact sizes.

basically, most of the sweating is from assembly - drilling holes and jamming the screws into the joints. So that makes calculating the timber/plank sizes to order the most important part.

my version.

post-34-1122898385.jpg

wow this is cool man!!! 3 yellow tang 1 blue tang and 1 purple tang!!! did i get my numbers wrong :lol:

nice aquascape....the colors of the fishes must be colorful enough...can take a photo of your tank when the tangs are out on patrol? B)

can also pm me where did you place your tank, is it near any beam in your house?

:thanks:

Thanks for sharing bro Rocky99. Care to share how you turn the framework into cabinet?

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Bro nice Tank ;) i love your baby Blue tang.. i brought 4 of them too.. loved it.. they are in my 4ft tank now and they always hang out together... damn cute.. hope they will survive though.. :)

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
wow this is cool man!!! 3 yellow tang 1 blue tang and 1 purple tang!!! did i get my numbers wrong    :lol: 

nice aquascape....the colors of the fishes must be colorful enough...can take a photo of your tank when the tangs are out on patrol?  B)

can also pm me where did you place your tank, is it near any beam in your house?

:thanks:

mine is not good enough. bro acidjazz to 2PTs and 3YTs living in harmony. i have a slightly smaller PT hiding in some corner of the tank. the 2 PTs cannot get along well.

The YTs really light up my tank, and frequently, they swim in a trail. :):):) a pleasant sight.

• SRC Member
Thanks for sharing bro Rocky99. Care to share how you turn the framework into cabinet?

let me catch a breath first.. :)

some impt things to note when building the stand.

1. order your timber from a reputable shop that promises to cut the timber to exact sizes. (can pm for the shop).it is also impt that the ends are square(rectangle), for proper alignment and tightening of the jts.

2. the top surface has to be extremely even or flat, else the tank will crack when filled with water even with the styrofoam. and to acheive that, the top frame has to be built first. Set the perimeter planks of the top frame at a perfect rectangle on floor first. then fasten the 4 planks with screw. the frame is formed. make sure that the corners are at right angles. (by using a set square or comparing the 2 diagonals). then work from there.

3. plan properly b4 u order your timber. thickness of timber is always narrower then it's claimed to be. remember to factor that into your calculations.

4. wear glove and goggles. no glove no goggles, at least a pair of glasses.

• SRC Member

building the cabinet

i used 12mm plywood to build the cabinet. u can go for less. plywood thickness is usually quite accurate. again, get the timber shop to cut the plywood for you. plywood comes only in 4'x8'. usually the shop will help you make the most out of each piece.

the the fish tank should sit exactly over a pc of plywood, exactly over the top frame. none of them should jut out.

remember to make hose over the over and the return pipes on the cabinet top.

post-34-1122913308.jpg

• SRC Member

then use plywood to cover the back first. i made the length of the back face longer to cover the width of the plywood of the side face.

notice that i my formica covering the side face did not cover the width of the back face. this is because the side face of my cabinet is made fully removable. my 3ft sump went in from there.

post-34-1122913456.jpg