Where to place active carbons

beebeefl

• SRC Member

challenge what for... r u a kids.. lolz...

isnt it here is that what I'm saying already correct and I just want to tell u you what u been urguing is in fact wrong.. and to prove that I only want to u go see the truth only.. say so much just 2 months time go dig out your glass ring lor... the truth will be there and dont need me to challenge u and urgue with you...

well just admit that you dam too proud to say your very statement on your glass ring is wrong.. :P

Lastly I'm the type who dont bother too much about how other ppls tanks look nice or not hor.. cause end of the day your tank is yours, the choice is yours, I tell you u dont listen so be it.. it wont hurt my eye looking at it cause I wont be the one looking at the tank the whole time... :PB):evil:

oh..u are saeing im proud to make my statement...then i will advice u to think abt how u use ur words...it is more proud to claim that a product is useless and telling everyone here nt to use it.. :evil: ..this will be my last post here...i do not wish 2 flame this forum...as this dosent concerns the purpose of this forum.. :P ..

sorry to the mods for goin off topic.. :off::bow:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

oh..u are saeing im proud to make my statement...then i will advice u to think abt how u use ur words...it is more proud to claim that a product is useless and telling everyone here nt to use it.. :evil: ..this will be my last post here...i do not wish 2 flame this forum...as this dosent concerns the purpose of this forum.. :P ..

sorry to the mods for goin off topic.. :off::bow:

Hey so where do I actually place my active carbons

inside the FR

or put in the filter bag and place it in the seaweed refugium or inside the over flow compartment

Please give me the best choice above?

• SRC Member

FR is the best choice .... advisable to change monthly.

and about Glass rings.... don't use them... SUper nitrate factory... causes Nutrient Build up... don't believe nvm ...use at ur own risk...

Unless u have the discipline to rinse it in saltwater 2 times weekly.

for pple that has used glass rings for 1 year, good for u nothing has happen.. but that doesnt mean other pple wouldn't have this problem. Please, ur statement here is to ADVISE PPLE. I say again ADVISE.

This is a Reef Club forum (saltwater), wanna talk about Koi or freshwater go other place....

• SRC Member
FR is the best choice .... advisable to change monthly.

and about Glass rings.... don't use them... SUper nitrate factory... causes Nutrient Build up... don't believe nvm ...use at ur own risk...

Unless u have the discipline to rinse it in saltwater 2 times weekly.

for pple that has used glass rings for 1 year, good for u nothing has happen.. but that doesnt mean other pple wouldn't have this problem. Please, ur statement here is to ADVISE PPLE. I say again ADVISE.

This is a Reef Club forum (saltwater), wanna talk about Koi or freshwater go other place....

well I already say.. he is dam too proud to admit his method is wrong, but instead he bite back and say I'm in the wrong... :( nvm let them be, after all fact is fact and tank is their, they want it that way let them be... :lol:

• SRC Member
well you may put in FR but if you dont have the best option is to put in filter bag and in the low flow area of the sump....

and remember to knock the bag everyday... :D

May I know why put in low flow area? :huh:

And why must knock the bag??? :huh:

• SRC Member

why low flow.... well we all know why a sudden amt of carbon put in will have what effect to your tank...

so that's also explain why u should place in low flow... in sump else scarab now then I know you put your carbon in high flow maybe in the main tank since the flow is highest there... :D

why knock the bag... dont tell me you dont know if u using filter bag it will trap dirt and by knocking on the bag will help prevent dirt trap within the bag or within the carbon...

Actually few ways of doing it.

1. Put GAC in FR but with reduced amount and slower flow rate thru the FR, smaller FR in this case compared to rowaphos.

2. Put GAC is mesh bag in low flow area, mesh daily to prevent channels from forming and to clear any detritus trap in it.

3. Put in high flow area but with very small amount, changed regular basis will work too.

• SRC Member

Well I thought the key to using carbon is to add small quantities and change frequently, so the small quantities will not cause sudden changes in your tank.

Since carbon is put in low flow area (BTW I put mine in quite a high flow area, at the outlet of my skimmer), the sale of FR for use of carbon will surely drop. I thought the idea of FR is to have sufficient flow to fluidise the carbon to get maximum surface contact for better absorption. Since low flow is the key, I guess FR use for carbon will be useless then.

Guess I must have miss the point somewhere...... :huh:

Thanks for the explanation. :)

• SRC Member
Actually few ways of doing it.

1. Put GAC in FR but with reduced amount and slower flow rate thru the FR, smaller FR in this case compared to rowaphos.

2. Put GAC is mesh bag in low flow area, mesh daily to prevent channels from forming and to clear any detritus trap in it.

3. Put in high flow area but with very small amount, changed regular basis will work too.

lolz.. i'm not so delicated ma... keep changing carbon...

both method work the same way...so why keep changing, instead of changing it out once a month....

well any methods mention work just see which one u prefer lor.... :lol:

The idea of FR is to prevent channelling from forming hence reducing the reducing the efficiency of the media.

You can use FR but provided the flow thru the FR is slow, that's the point you're missing.

That is why if you put the GAC in a mesh bag, you're supposed to knead it daily to prevent channelling.

• SRC Member
The idea of FR is to prevent channelling from forming hence reducing the reducing the efficiency of the media.

You can use FR but provided the flow thru the FR is slow, that's the point you're missing.

That is why if you put the GAC in a mesh bag, you're supposed to knead it daily to prevent channelling.

Bro I thought FR is used to fluidised to media( hence the name Fluidised Reactor :) ) keeping it in suspension to have full surface contact of the GAC with the water??? As long as it is fluidised, no chanelling will take place what.

So the flow should be high enough the keep the media in suspension.

The same thing for GAC in mesh bag. If placed in low flow area, chanelling will take place like what you said

or

with the flow only on the surface of the mesh bag (low flow unable to penetrate into the media deep inside the bag) the only GAC in contact with the water are those on the outer surface. The GAC inside will not be efficiently used.

Of course kneading the GAC will help but I think higher flow will also do the job. And we are trying very hard not to stick our hand into the water if we can right?? :lol:

Anyway that was my understanding and I found it to be logical.

On top of this, GAC should be changed every 10 days, max 14 days as it loses it absorption capability after that. Then it become something like bio ball or glass rings :sick: ........but I'm not going into that....... :P:P:lol:

• SRC Member

Bro I thought FR is used to fluidised to media( hence the name Fluidised Reactor :) ) keeping it in suspension to have full surface contact of the GAC with the water??? As long as it is fluidised, no chanelling will take place what.

So the flow should be high enough the keep the media in suspension.

The same thing for GAC in mesh bag. If placed in low flow area, chanelling will take place like what you said

or

with the flow only on the surface of the mesh bag (low flow unable to penetrate into the media deep inside the bag) the only GAC in contact with the water are those on the outer surface. The GAC inside will not be efficiently used.

Of course kneading the GAC will help but I think higher flow will also do the job. And we are trying very hard not to stick our hand into the water if we can right?? :lol:

Anyway that was my understanding and I found it to be logical.

On top of this, GAC should be changed every 10 days, max 14 days as it loses it absorption capability after that. Then it become something like bio ball or glass rings :sick: ........but I'm not going into that....... :P:P:lol:

Good explaination weileong and scarab, ;)

I prefer using GAC in fludised reactor in high flow but it should be change regularly and in minimum quantity too. 2weeks for me maximum. :blink: