Declare Battel against ICH

• SRC Member

Went down to BO and Sam intoduce me to AquaPharm's anti ich. Was delighted about the simple method and was eager to dose it right when home only to realize that I have to remove my see cuke first. But it's now in my base rock which I have difficulty removing it. Toot of netting my tangs and coral beauty but they too are hidding in the LRs which are even harder to catch. Guess Ill have to wait till the cuke is in the opening.

Have tot of the hypo method but will need a reflectometer to get the right reading in main tank which will be very troublesome. Imagine the amount of water change . My tank is about 850ltr.

So after much tot will go for medication and changge 20% of water once finish the cycle.

Have learn my lesson of "its a must to have a Q Tank! if not buy your fish from reputable LFS who does Q on their fishes. :pinch

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do a search thru and see if AquaPharm's medication works or not :P

Hopefully you won't learn from the hardway, save your fishes before it's too late, either hyposalinity or copper based medication are proven methods of saving your fishes.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...hlite=aquapharm

• SRC Member

I believe some fishs need time to grow used to the shrimps.

My yellow tang initially also never allow the shrimp touch it.

After about 1 month+, now I can see the tang visit the shrimp once awhile.

Maybe those Carribean stocks never meet a cleaner shrimps b4.... gege. :P

• SRC Member
Do a search thru and see if AquaPharm's medication works or not

Hopefully you won't learn from the hardway, save your fishes before it's too late, either hyposalinity or copper based medication are proven methods of saving your fishes.

Will try to catch the infected fishes in main tank but seems quite impossible because always hiding inside my LRs and not forgetting my bloody heavy 6ft mh lights. Will do whatever it takes to cure my fishes. Tonite will perform mission impossible that is if I can knock off early :erm:

Any bros out there has a Reflactometer to borrow or sell? In the mean time will prepare a bucket of SW with low salinity for the hypo treatment using the swing arm hydrometer first.

Can anti ich be added during hypo treatment. Has anyone tried it? Want to speed up the cycle. 6 to 8 weeks is a long wait and 3 weeks later need to go reservist :pinch: so very desperate to cure them.

If you do apply hyposalinity treatment then you have to drop the salinity slowly, pls refer to the pinned up topic, how to apply hyposalinity treatment in this section for details.

There's another method known as the transfer method where everyday the fishes are transferred to a new tank I had not tried this method out but I think if this is used in conjunction with the hyposalinity method it might reduce the time needed. You might be able to clear the ich in 2-3weeks instead of 8 weeks.

• SRC Member
Cleaner wrasses are not known to eat ich. Also most of them don't survive in our tank, better to leave them in the ocean.

Cleaner Wrasses are not known to eat ich??

Quote from Saltwaterfish.com -

"The Cleaner Wrasse is a Wrasse which serves as a cleaner for fish in the wild. These fish have markings that allow fish to know that they do not pose a threat, but have come to clean them of parasites."

Link to quote - http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-fish/Cleaner-Wrasse.html

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't ich a type of parasite?

Cleaner Wrasses are not known to eat ich??

Quote from Saltwaterfish.com -

"The Cleaner Wrasse is a Wrasse which serves as a cleaner for fish in the wild. These fish have markings that allow fish to know that they do not pose a threat, but have come to clean them of parasites."

Link to quote - http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-fish/Cleaner-Wrasse.html

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't ich a type of parasite?

quoted from http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j.../marineich.html

Grutter A.S. 2000. Ontogenetic variation in the diet of the cleaner fish Labroides dimidiatus and its ecological consequences. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 197:241-246.

Many aquarists regard common cleaner wrasses, Labroides dimidiatus, as effective agents for the control and treatment of marine "Ich". While this would be a desirable situation, it is unfortunately not true. Grutter (2000) showed that L. dimidiatus feeds mainly on the larvae of gnatid isopods throughout its life, and C. irritans theronts were never found in it's diet. Fish remain infected with theronts despite the presence of cleaner wrasse, and even the cleaner wrasse may become infected (personal observation).

You may like to start a poll on how long cleaner wrasser can survive in our tank? Very low survival rates and success stories are the exceptional case rather than the norm, if needed buy more cleaner shrimps.

• SRC Member

I do agree that cleaner wrasse has a low survival rate in a home aquarium and I do agree that we should not buy them and leave them in the ocean, however I didn't realize that they actually didn't cure fishes of ich.

Then how about fishes like the neon gobies and gold striped neon gobies? Do they also not cure the fishes of ich?

I'll like to mention that while cleaner wrasse do not directly clean the fishes of ich but they do provide cleaning service which ease the fishes of stress and this could help the fish to fight the disease.

Same goes for neon gobies too except they are better choice than cleaner wrasse.