Supplements for FOWLR

• SRC Member

Hoping those experienced (or otherwise) reefers can give some tips and even more hopefully, tips that do not cost a bomb to follow.

1. What are absolute essential elements to dose into a FOWLR. Iodine? Calcium? Mg? Strontium?

2. For calcium replenishment, and to keep the PH above 8, is it better to dose just kalwasser or do we need somthing like Seachem Calcium Advantage on a weekly basis?

3. One LFS told me Iodine is essential to maintain colour of the fish. Is this true?

4. Does coraline algea help in reducing nitrates or filter the water? Otherwise, what are the benefits of grooming coraline algae other than aesthetic purposes?

5. Additivies like for example pH Buffers or kH buffers, I understand that they are supposed to work by sustaining the Ph/kH at the existing level in the tank and it cannot raise the pH or lower the pH by itself. Is this true?

Thanks to all you good people

• SRC Member

FOWLR very easy lah. just maintain normal gd water condition boleh already.... most of the requirements can be found in the diet .... eg more veg stuff for tangs... not really that necessary for additional stuff...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

a regular water change from a good salt mix sould be sufficient .

not sure whether whether iodine maintain the colour but needed for shrimps for molting . but again , water change from a good salt mix should be sufficient .

my fishes are still colourfuland dun really add anything.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

for me, I do dose small quantity of calcium, iodine,strontium & magnesium biweekly during water change & weekly dose of marine buffer to maintain PH.

as for my fishes, I do supplement their diet with kent zoe, zoecon, garlic xtreme & marine c. All my fishes are fat & happy :lol:

• SRC Member
for me, I do dose small quantity of calcium, iodine,strontium & magnesium biweekly during water change & weekly dose of marine buffer to maintain PH.

as for my fishes, I do supplement their diet with kent zoe, zoecon, garlic xtreme & marine c. All my fishes are fat & happy :lol:

marine buffer will be the most essential stuff to have for fowlr setup. The rest will not be so essential provided to do regular water change. I do strongly recommend you to invest on the food supplement to build up the health & also to retain the vibrant colur of the fishes. Unhealthy fish will suffer from colur fading = boring tank.... <_<

• SRC Member

thanks guys. i'll start off with the marine buffer in that case. Any recommended most economical brand/method? What pH to target and what pH meter recommended? I am using the tetra strip test and .. sumtimes very difficult to tell the color tones apart.

I am assuming the buffer will have two function. 1. to raise the pH to the required alkalinity if it is not yet there .. and 2. to keep it there.

• SRC Member

the cheap and safe ones are Seachem Marine buffer, but do note that it contains sodium which contributes to the salinity level, though its insignificant in a larger tank.

You can aim for a PH of 8.3, but note that PH will swing thru out the day, however, the fluctuation should be minimum.

PH pen are available in most LFS but it will be neat to get your hands on a Milwaukee set. http://www.adec.com.sg/products/Milwaukee/index.html

the cheapest method is kalk drip. add to that it gives you calcium too for a shot at coralline algae growth under actinic blue. but use with care though.

• SRC Member

In my fowlr,I maintain ca,kh & mg level so as to grow coralline algae on the liverocks.I also use Seachem Trace elements for saltwater fish. IMO its quite a good product :)