MD55 PUMP placement

jackalcleo

Thinking of using this pump to drive my Beckett. However saw in most thread the md55 was placed at ground level. As my sump was a DIY 1 i didn't have any PVC inlet pipe specially installed at the bottom of the sump.

Was thinking of placing the pump above the sump and connect pipe 90 deg down to suck up the water to the Beckett. Is this possibe?????

• SRC Member

yes it is feasible, but there are a few problems:

1. you will need to prime the pump to get it started. It is not so easy.

2. this configuration puts resistance on the input of the pump, which is not good for the pump.

yes it is feasible, but there are a few problems:

1. you will need to prime the pump to get it started. It is not so easy.

2. this configuration puts resistance on the input of the pump, which is not good for the pump.

As for no 1) i can add a check valve on the inlet side so i only prime for the first time i start up

As for no 2) Can explain further? u mean pump need to work harder need to the suction on the inlet????

• SRC Member

yes, you can add a check valve.

Generally speaking, most pumps do not last very long if there are load placed at the input. By placing the pump above the water level, you are introducing a load at the input as the pump needs to maintain the water column

You can make a invert U shaped siphon PVC (with total 3 elbow) at the side of your tank and that will solve your problem. Only downside is larger pvc pipe (at least 1.25") will be needed to prevent micro bubbles from forming.

Can u kindly draw me a rough sketch for this DIY???

Do you need to prime the pump if you do it this way? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I think this will be much easier.

Just fill up water on top and turn on the pump and it will pump out water automatically.

I use this method before with my MD55.

PLease make sure the endcap is securely tight, if possible put a a white tape to make sure it is tight.

:D

post-17-1123573808.jpg

I think this will be much easier.

Just fill up water on top and turn on the pump and it will pump out water automatically.

I use this method before with my MD55.

PLease make sure the endcap is securely tight, if possible put a a white tape to make sure it is tight.

:D

u using 1.25" pipe size also for your setup or some other size????

• SRC Member

jackalcleo...my suggestion to u is instead of using 3 elbows as weileong suggested, i suggest using one long hose that connects the pump directly to the sump instead

this is because each elbow presents alot of resistance to flow while using a hose presents much less

i was previously using the 3elbows configuration as mentioned earlier but the bubble count wasn't good

then i went and tried using just the hose directly inserted into the sump and WHOA...i was very happy to see the bubble count was SOoo much better

also, using 1 hose saves u alot of time and work since you dun need to go through the hassle of glueing the parts together etc etc

do gif this a thought

• SRC Member

u using 1.25" pipe size also for your setup or some other size????

Bro,

That was my old set up.

At that time, I use uniform size, i think I use 3/4" pipping throught out.

The outer diameter fits nicely with Eheim hose 25/?? and this fit well with MD55 too.

Rgds

jackalcleo...my suggestion to u is instead of using 3 elbows as weileong suggested, i suggest using one long hose that connects the pump directly to the sump instead

this is because each elbow presents alot of resistance to flow while using a hose presents much less

i was previously using the 3elbows configuration as mentioned earlier but the bubble count wasn't good

then i went and tried using just the hose directly inserted into the sump and WHOA...i was very happy to see the bubble count was SOoo much better

also, using 1 hose saves u alot of time and work since you dun need to go through the hassle of glueing the parts together etc etc

do gif this a thought

will consider that. Still in dilema whether to change my Rio32HF pump to MD55 for my Beckett :(

do gif this a thought

That's because you used small tiny tubing.

That is the reason why I recommended 1.25" has the larger dia will compensate for the restriction caused by the elbow.