Lionfish

hey guys i'm interested in setting up a 2 footer lionfish tank. not sure if im gonna add in corals or not. would like all the bros here to tell me as much as you can about maintaing a tank with happy lionfish? also the different kinds of lionfish. as far as i know so far..there's the dwarf, the radiata and the volitans yep? is there any combination of the above that is best etc? thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

U can consider getting Fumanchu as well.. but best to go for species tank.. and try not to fit in fishes that can go into their mouths.. and trust me, it can open very big...

some LR would be good, especially with caves being built.

Another thing would be the food... they tends to go for Live Food, which is a bummer if u cant provide. One was is to get mollies and try to convert them into saltwater... by doing so, let the mollies remain in the separate breeding/quarantine tank for a couple of days before feeding them to the lions...

alternatively, u can feed them with damsels or some live bait from fishing tackle shops.

Best if u can wean them to frozen food... hope it helps. :)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

thanks for the replies. i intend to feed them with live glass shrimps. what about the various upkeeping of the different species? i remember reading somewhere that radiata are hard to keep. correct me if i'm wrong ya? i'll be using an atman skimmer with uv built in. don't know the exact model yet..will post when i check it out with my teacher.

• SRC Member

just rem, live glass shrimps aint their natural diet...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

if u do so, u are back to sq one.. u have to restart weaning again.

• SRC Member
once they are weaned to frozen food , will they still go for live bait i.e fishes / prawn etc ? just wondering . . .

I will feed them with live mollies once in a blue moon just to keep their predatory instinct alive. And yes, they won't be able to resist small wriggling fishies:)

• SRC Member
if u do so, u are back to sq one.. u have to restart weaning again.

Sorry bro kelstorm, i beg to differ this time:) After they are weaned to frozen, everything else thats on the food menu doesn't matter be it live feeders or frozen food. No offence:) just my two cents worth.

• SRC Member

Sorry bro kelstorm, i beg to differ this time:) After they are weaned to frozen, everything else thats on the food menu doesn't matter be it live feeders or frozen food. No offence:) just my two cents worth.

I guess this will have to depend on the 'character' and type of the lion as well as the frequency of feeding. Once in a while may not necessarily change the lion's appetite, but if done every other day, for a couple of months, then, yes, it may need to be re-weaned.

• SRC Member

i agreed , the reason i asked becos , my lion started to attack my fishes ... it have 2 percula clown and 1 small maroon clown for supper ... but when i throw in frozen chopped tiger prawn it also makan it without thinking ,,, ... so now i jailed it before all my small fishes are gone ...

Bro Angry , do u like to have my lion , i see your lion den is cool so maybe u can adopt mine .... i want it o be in a good home . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i agreed , the reason i asked becos , my lion started to attack my fishes ... it have 2 percula clown and 1 small maroon clown for supper ... but when i throw in frozen chopped tiger prawn it also makan it without thinking ,,, ... so now i jailed it before all my small fishes are gone ...

Bro Angry , do u like to have my lion , i see your lion den is cool so maybe u can adopt mine .... i want it o be in a good home . . .

Hi bro marron,

i would luv to adopt your lion but unfortunately, my tank is not big enough:) I'm currently hsaving to 9" volitans in a 3.5ft tank and i already think thats not good enough, truth is, they are still growing i believe and i hate to think that eventually one day, i have to forsake my lions too so that they go to a better home:( Why do you want to give yours away??

Hey, thankds for the kind compliments:)

• SRC Member

Hi bro marron,

i would luv to adopt your lion but unfortunately, my tank is not big enough:) I'm currently hsaving to 9" volitans in a 3.5ft tank and i already think thats not good enough, truth is, they are still growing i believe and i hate to think that eventually one day, i have to forsake my lions too so that they go to a better home:( Why do you want to give yours away??

Hey, thankds for the kind compliments:)

Hi bro Angry

Too bad .. the mine can't join your big family ...

hmmm .. giving him up becos .. its getting big and start to eye my smaller fishes ..

Also i have another smaller one in the tank too about 3-3.5 inches ... eating like pig and it is growing fast ...

I guess the main reason is i am getting lazy ... seldom buy tiger prawn now .. feed it with cube mysis .. and now i am getting lazy on that too... cos i feed my others with pellets now ...

• SRC Member

Hi bro Angry

Too bad .. the mine can't join your big family ...

hmmm .. giving him up becos .. its getting big and start to eye my smaller fishes ..

Also i have another smaller one in the tank too about 3-3.5 inches ... eating like pig and it is growing fast ...

I guess the main reason is i am getting lazy ... seldom buy tiger prawn now .. feed it with cube mysis .. and now i am getting lazy on that too... cos i feed my others with pellets now ...

Hi bro,

volitans are not hard to wean, trust me. Do reconsider:)

• SRC Member
hmmm ...ya they do easily take frozen ...

Just curious does yours take pellets ?

I have yet heard anyone's lions taking pellets in this forum. It would be very lucky if your lion takes frozen mysis or shrimps. Agree with Angry that volitans are generally quite easy to wean to frozen. Now I have an antennata feeding on mysis, thanks to Shoelevy. :D

I have, however, tried unsuccessfully weaning dwarf zebra. If someone got a dwarf zebra feeding on frozen mysis do share your experience.

:thanks: