4ft Setup

vagabond

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

I am planning to setup a 4x2x2 marine tank. I was at HM last saturday and was quoted 3K for hardwares only i.e. tank, cabinet, sump, pump, piping, chiller, MH and skimmer. I am not sure of the brands but was told that the quote is rather steep. Thus, could anyone recommend and advice me where to get good ones and which brand to get. Oh, my budget is only maximum 2K.

:thanks:

:bow:

• SRC Member
I was at HM last saturday and was quoted 3K for hardwares only i.e. tank, cabinet, sump, pump, piping, chiller, MH and skimmer.

What and where is HM?

I think 3k is ok for 4feet tank+cabinet+sump+pump+piping+chiller+MH+skimmer if the items are good one. Rough estimate: Tank around $200-$400. Cabinet $250-$500. Sump $60-$120. Ehein pump is around $100-$250. Chiller (Teco, Reef Relief) for your tank should be $1000-$2000. MH around $700-$1500. Skimmer (EuroReef, H&S, Shuran) $400 - $1000.

u can try wait for 2nd hand stuff in this forum? 2nd hand should be very cheap

for 4ft tank= maybe 100

cabinet = 200

sump(diy) = 50

skimmer = 100

pumps =100-150

chiller maybe 800-1000.

total maybe less than a k.. be patient.

you should be puting in alot of effort seting up ur tank and diy stuffs so that u can feel the accomplishment.. haha goodluck

• SRC Member

Sorri Vagabond, hijack your tread.

I'm also planing to convert my 4ft tank to marine fish. However need some advise for the "expert" here.

Will there be a problem if I forgo the sump and chiller?

Can anyone recommend a good book to read for newbie? Will like to read up before diving into the project.

Will appreciate if anyone can PM me some reliable LFS. I'm staying in Hougang area btw.

Thanks alot

HM is Haw**i right? Heard quite ex to get things from there.

Like u, I got my stuff all in one. Really burned my pocket man. Anyway I've learnt alot since then. May I suggest going slowly. Perhaps get a tank/cabinet,piping,sump and MH 1st. Skimmer and chiller bout 3-4 weeks later(once water parameters are suitable). At the meanwhile, do a research here on what brands to get. Plenty of info here, just gotta find it. Aquiring the most suitable hardware components of your choice will really save you hell alot of $$$.

Just my 2 cents... B)

• SRC Member

Since we are on the topic of price now, can I check what's is the average price of the below items (not the top notch type but gd enough for 4ft). FOWLR only (for now).

1) Filter

2) LR

3) DSB

4) Skimmer

5) Lights (MH?)

6) Fans (DIY)

Just need to do some budgetting. Thks all.

• SRC Member

It's very subjective whether to use fan for FO tank, advise to maintain the temperature not more than 30 degree. Some reefers might have other opinions

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Vagabond,

I didn't do it at Haw***. Frm Pasir Ris farm.

Problem is after much reading/researching, found that certain hardwares I have are not to my liking. End up either U/G or buying more. Do a proper planning. You won't end up wasting money. Marine hobby is ex. Be prepare for it. Quote from okieguy, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment if u do it your own. :D