oil film layer on water surface

spsp

dear reefers, recently i have notice a thin layer of oil film thingy layer floating on the water surface.. is there any ways to remove those unsightly things?

mine is a nano tank(2x1x1), no sump therefore no overflow to trap those oily thing..

what are the cause of those oil? only feeding fish with pellet twice a day and corals with liquid plankton food once a week

LS: 4 clownfish, 1 bubble, a few mushies

:thanks:

use a large paper towel and spread it across the surface and gentle pick it up and trow away. The oily film will be removed. If towel a bit small, do a couple of time.. IMHO, a better solution for super small tank because any equipment in the tank would be an eye sore...

signature2.jpg

it comes from the pellet food since it is all processed.

Dun try to use towel or tissue anything like dat. it get more messy. Just get a surface skimmer and hook it up. Will get rid of the oil constantly.

Also, the layer of oil will reduce your oxygen level in the water due to the entrapment. Hence, this is a must have for surface skimmer since it is a perm fix.

• SRC Member

are u using liquifry marine ? fyi, if i didn't remember wrongly the substance is actually egg based therefore there will always be one layer of oil after dosing.

you can use those kitchen tissue to dab on water surface to remove partial of oil.. if not change water would be another better alternative

• SRC Member

better remove the layer of oil fast if not the o2 will drop and ur tank will suffer...i used to manually remove the oil by tower paper and also scooping it off bit by bit..real trouble.. but now with DIY overflow pipe...it is easier...

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

I use a small hang-on filter at one end with the intake tube shortened to as close to the surface as possible. At the other end, I have a fan blowing at the surface. This has the effect of pushing the dirty film towards the filter and once it goes through the filter, the water coming out would be clear.

Hope it helps.

• SRC Member
dear reefers, recently i have notice a thin layer of oil film thingy layer floating on the water surface.. is there any ways to remove those unsightly things?

mine is a nano tank(2x1x1), no sump therefore no overflow to trap those oily thing..

what are the cause of those oil? only feeding fish with pellet twice a day and corals with liquid plankton food once a week

LS: 4 clownfish, 1 bubble, a few mushies

:thanks:

den wad u using for filtering? have to allow the main tank water to escape to ur sump as a faster rate.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif