Noisy Overflow Box

crany

Anyone knows how I can minimise noise in my overflow. Bought a custom made tank with a "bottom table" just above the downpipe. Now the water just plunge into the overflow.

Tried to built my own "table" with egg crate and 4 small grey pipes as legs also not very successful.

anyone got any other ideas or experience the same problem as me?

Please advise.

• SRC Member

Durso pipe (do a search in this forum) which is simply a PVC pipe with few elbows, "T", and end cap joint together can work wonders in reducing the noise almost completely.

U can easily DIY one yourself.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

(take note of the location of the upper elbow, try to keep it higher so that it reduce the water drop height and hence minimize the noise).

Happy reefing. :peace:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

durso pipe is "automatic" works by itself bro.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
Where can i buy e durso pipe??? :unsure:

You can make one yourself easily. Go to the website given by dandelion76 earlier.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

I have read e information regarding e DIY durso pipe on e website.... But where do i buy the parts?? At a hardware store???... Pardon me, i noe nuts abt these pipe stuff.

Can somebody introduce me which shops to go, so i need not go round s'pore searchin for it :P Thanks!

• SRC Member
Print out the photo of the dunso from http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

then bring to the hardware shop and they will give you the necessary parts. But you need to tell them the correct size.

Bro Diablos, where do you stay?

Bro Weileong :thanks:

I live in sembawang. Tink i will go recce e hardware shops nearby tml...Hopefully they know wat i am looking for....

Cannot tahan e overflow compartment noise anymore :cry: ...sounds like a 24hr non-stop flushing toilet bowl :lol:

• SRC Member
Durso pipe (do a search in this forum) which is simply a PVC pipe with few elbows, "T", and end cap joint together can work wonders in reducing the noise almost completely.

U can easily DIY one yourself.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

(take note of the location of the upper elbow, try to keep it higher so that it reduce the water drop height and hence minimize the noise).

Happy reefing. :peace:

Hi, I've installed a durso, i-box(bot 2nd hand)...it is so noisy, sounds like toilet flushing every 10 seconds or so. Any idea why its like than... There would be a very loud gurgling sound, then water stops flowing for abt 2 sec then it suddenly surges down, like a flush...

I'm wondering if anything can be done as the height of the elbow is fixed... cud it also be due to the very big outlet... i.e should I minimize the outlet from a 1" to mayby half inch.

Pls if anyone knows how to prevent the noise, it wud be greatly appreciated.(wifey complaining, first the noisy heater chiller now toilet flushing in the living room.... says one day she gonna to poison the tank) :ph34r::) (me, I'm kinda excited... finally have a small sump to put some toys into)

Hi, I've installed a durso, i-box(bot 2nd hand)...it is so noisy, sounds like toilet flushing every 10 seconds or so. Any idea why its like than... There would be a very loud gurgling sound, then water stops flowing for abt 2 sec then it suddenly surges down, like a flush...

I'm wondering if anything can be done as the height of the elbow is fixed... cud it also be due to the very big outlet... i.e should I minimize the outlet from a 1" to mayby half inch.

Pls if anyone knows how to prevent the noise, it wud be greatly appreciated.(wifey complaining, first the noisy heater chiller now toilet flushing in the living room.... says one day she gonna to poison the tank) :ph34r::) (me, I'm kinda excited... finally have a small sump to put some toys into)

Increase the size of the air valve or add an air valve if it is not present. That will solve your problem.

• SRC Member

Do you have two down pipes if yes this method will help

Here it goes.

Add a valve control near the outlet of the down flow pipe. Make sure all pipes are glued! This enables you to control the water level in the overflow box to the desired level and thus no more waterfall effect. When it reaches the desired level, tune the valve control till the right flow rate. This way you will not over flow the overflow box.

Observe the overflow box for about a day to see if the flow rate is same as your return. This is to prevent over flow. If you have two down flow pipes, use one for overflow. Extend the pipe slightly above the water level and below the edge of the tank of course. This way if there is any overflow due to blockage or slower flow rate, the 2nd pipe will there to take the overflow. You don't need a valve control for this pipe. Make sure the down flow pipe end is immerse in water if you want to elemenate the return sound at the sump.

What if only have 1 flow back pipe. You have to make sure that the flow back rate is always the same as the return or otherwise use the durso method.

Have tried the durso but still have noise (flushing sound at times) and had a hard time controlling 2 durso. Most of the time only one is working. Have since given up on durso.

Thanks to Reefer Alanseah for his knowledge if not I will still have a waterfall at home.

• SRC Member

it's nothing.. in src I'm no body.... just a too proud guy.. so no point been too helpful.. cause only those who see and do what i have told u.. will know the answer...

since result speak loud.. no point for me to fight and use colorful word over here just to let him know his idea is wrong... signz what a sad world..