Custom made Twin Beckett

Marineman

• SRC Member

wow! this is impressive...seems like the new trend is coming up....TWIN BECKETTE! well done, bio ocean...and MM, could you PM me the price for these? thanks! ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yes I can use an auto shut off, there is an outlet at the bottom of the collection cup which can be connected to an external container with auto shut off (I was told).

Anyway I am going to place the external collection cup in my sump just in case for one reason or another it overflows, the water goes back in the sump and does not flood the room.

The tank is located in my wife's office, so minimum maintenance is easier for me.

FYI, the tank has mainly fishes with some leathers and fingers (hardy corals) for ease of maintenance.

I feed them with ocean nutrition F1 and F2, mysis and finelky chopped squid, scallops, prawns and mussels alternately.

I had high N03, about 150ppm. I would also like to share an experience with you guys on sugar dosing, a couple of reefer friends used to dose sugar to reduce NO3, it worked very well initially, I was very reluctant, but eventually gave it a go, I dose two sachets of sugar for my 350gals tank every 2-3 days. Initially the nitrates did actually comes down. I lost a few fishes in the process, not sure if it is the sugar initially but now it looks like sugar is the cause. Then the other 2 friends who had dosed sugar for a much longer time than me had their tanks completely wiped out! All fishes dead. i was lucky enough to stop it in time!

I hope this skimmer will make my tank cleaner!

Bro,

Nice skimmer you have there.

FYI, this skimmer will not work with Auto shut off waste collector.

In order for the Auto shut off waste collector to work, Skimmer has to be air tight with only air escaping from the skimmer waste collection cup which in return connected to the auto shut off waste collector.

When this waste collector is full, the ping pong ball inside will rise and close the holes in the waste collector. This will resulted into back pressure and your skimmer water will stop foaming or the water inside will stop to rise to prevent flooding.

But with holes on top of the skimmer collection cup, there will be no back pressure and water will continue to flow out from that holes eventough the auto shut off collector is full.

Better double confirm with the maker.

Cause no meaning for you to get the waste collector as it will not serve any purpose.

Rgds

• SRC Member

Bro,

In order for the Auto shut off waste collector to work, Skimmer has to be air tight with only air escaping from the skimmer waste collection cup which in return connected to the auto shut off waste collector.

When this waste collector is full, the ping pong ball inside will rise and close the holes in the waste collector. This will resulted into back pressure and your skimmer water will stop foaming or the water inside will stop to rise to prevent flooding.

But with holes on top of the skimmer collection cup, there will be no back pressure and water will continue to flow out from that holes eventough the auto shut off collector is full.

Cause no meaning for you to get the waste collector as it will not serve any purpose.

Rgds

this gentleman here has did his homework :D

Bro,

Rgds

Hi Sugi,

thanks for the explanation. As mentioned, once the waste collection bottle is full, there will be back pressure right? Which means during that period of time, the skimmer will no longer produce skimmate isn't it?

We are not a keen supporters of the waste collection bottle because we feel that for a skimmer to work to its optimum, it should be clean at least once a week, and not let the waste collection cup to fill up before washing it.

So far, only beckett skimmers come with this auto shut off collection cup. have you guys ever wondered why reputable brands like Deltec and H&S and even AquaC don't come with this gadget?

However, having the auto shut off gadget will come in handy when the user do not know how to tune the skimmer properly.

No offences meant, :peace: just want to explain the design of our skimmers. If required, we can still make it air-tight.

oceanwerx%20acrylic.gif

Regards,

Ocean Werx

• SRC Member
So far, only beckett skimmers come with this auto shut off collection cup. have you guys ever wondered why reputable brands like Deltec and H&S and even AquaC don't come with this gadget?

Because Deltec or H&S or Needlewheel or Venturi skimmers will not work with a waste collecter with auto shut off because of the venting holes on the cover of the collection cup. That is precisely the reason.

To shut off the skimmer when the waste collector is full, the 'ping pong' will create the back pressure and thus 'push' back the foam head in the beckett's riser.

Feel free to pour water into the collection cup (no difference since it is vented anyway right?) without the cover until it flood the waste collector and see if the beckett skimmer foam head still at the same setting or has backed down. Very easy to proof the point.

Because Deltec or H&S or Needlewheel or Venturi skimmers will not work with a waste collecter with auto shut off because of the venting holes on the cover of the collection cup. That is precisely the reason.

To shut off the skimmer when the waste collector is full, the 'ping pong' will create the back pressure and thus 'push' back the foam head in the beckett's riser.

Feel free to pour water into the collection cup (no difference since it is vented anyway right?) without the cover until it flood the waste collector and see if the beckett skimmer foam head still at the same setting or has backed down. Very easy to proof the point.

1.can there be a back pressure at the pump.cos the BP is pushing the ping pong up to stop the foam.so where the BP goes than.????

2.beckett skimmer not venturi skimmer???

thks

kenny

• SRC Member

Hi Sugi,

thanks for the explanation. As mentioned, once the waste collection bottle is full, there will be back pressure right? Which means during that period of time, the skimmer will no longer produce skimmate isn't it?

We are not a keen supporters of the waste collection bottle because we feel that for a skimmer to work to its optimum, it should be clean at least once a week, and not let the waste collection cup to fill up before washing it.

However, having the auto shut off gadget will come in handy when the user do not know how to tune the skimmer properly.

No offences meant, :peace: just want to explain the design of our skimmers. If required, we can still make it air-tight.

• SRC Member
1.can there be a back pressure  at the pump.cos the BP is pushing the ping pong up to stop the foam.so where the BP goes than.????

2.beckett skimmer not venturi skimmer???

thks

kenny

Pump is providing the pressure to push the foam head up the riser. If the collection cup is air tight, then only way out for the air is through the drain. If the 'ping pong' stops the flow of air from the collection cup into the waste collector, then air will be pushed back into the skimmer hence where else can it go but to push the foam head back down.

Beckett is on same working principle as venturi. But the topic here is: can this skimmer be used with a waste collector with all the venting holes at the collection cup cover?

That's my answer to your question but then I am no expert,so I may be wrong lah. :(

Something to add. Try cover the holes of the collection cup cover on any needlewheel skimmers or venturi skimmers and see if the foam head drops. Very simple thing to do.

• SRC Member

Hi Sugi,

Yup you are right.

Skimmers need to be clean regularly for optimum performance.

My point here is to make sure our fellow reefer (Marineman) will not waste his money on the waste collector.

He will be very dissapointed to buy something which do not work.

Anyway, Nice products you have there. :D

The only worry is that you have a sudden change of water quality which resulted in your skimmer overflowing.

By then, your current waste collector is not of much use ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Hi MarineMan,

thanks for the review. I suspect that your skimmer is tuned too dry. My suggestion is to increase the water level and have a bigger collection bottle. Once the neck of the skimmer gets too "junked up", it will not be as efficient.

BTW, this injector seems to produce more bubbles. which pump are you using for this injector?

Thanks for your comments which I have taken note.

I did not have the time to tune it as I was away overseas shortly after the skimmer setup. I will fine tune it now. thanks again.

• SRC Member

Just Pondering.......If saying skimmer should be cleaned at least once a week, and not let the waste collection cup to fill up before washing it, how come still include a hose barb for waste collector?That means skimmate may be too much that the collection cup cannot collect so much and overflow if without it?Thats why a waste collector has to come in to prevent flooding.

post-14-1124476292.jpg

• SRC Member

A waste collector is useful not because a user may not know how to tune his skimmer. Let me put up a senario...If you are on a holiday and NO one is at home.Before you leave the house,you double checked that the skimmer is tuned at the right level...But when you were away...murphy's law strikes...your chiller breaks down...the temp hits 30 deg and above...everything start to die....the skimmer starts overflowing like crazy..and due to the super high efficieny...it skimms and skimms.....and overflows the collection cup as its full....NOT every beckett user has their skimmer in sump..so water probably starts flowing out of the collection cup...So when you come home....you will find a almost empty sump and water everywhere :fear: Water in the sump will compensate the water that overflow from the skimmer until its ###### air....and your return pump will be running dry, your beckett skimmer pump will be running dry also.... :cry:

Pump is providing the pressure to push the foam head up the riser. If the collection cup is air tight, then only way out for the air is through the drain. If the 'ping pong' stops the flow of air from the collection cup into the waste collector, then air will be pushed back into the skimmer hence where else can it go but to push the foam head back down.

Beckett is on same working principle as venturi. But the topic here is: can this skimmer be used with a waste collector with all the venting holes at the collection cup cover?

That's my answer to your question but then I am no expert,so I may be wrong lah. :(

Something to add. Try cover the holes of the collection cup cover on any needlewheel skimmers or venturi skimmers and see if the foam head drops. Very simple thing to do.

Whao, that's quite a good friendly debate. :peace:

Weisoon:

yes you are right. with the vent holes on the collection cup cover, MarineMan will not be able to use the shut-off gadget correctly.

As for the back pressure (if the collection cup cover is air-tight), it will be release thru the drain (gate valve) and will not have any ill effect on the pump.

But with the vent holes, the shut-off gadget can still be used. Quite surprising right? We tested with our own skimmers with a shut-off gadget and this was what happened.

1) the auto shut-off waste collector fills up,

2) the ping pong shuts the waste collector,

3) the collection cup gets filled up,

4) extra skimmate simply overflows back into the riser neck of the skimmer.

Calcium Reef:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that aquaC manufactures auto shut off waste collectors. I'm quite sure aquaC skimmers also have vent holes on the collection cup cover, maybe they've changed their design and i've not noticed yet.

Pretty cool self cleaning head. We are trying to make our skimmers self cleaning too but not with brushes. ;)

Originally, our skimmers did not come with the skimmate waste drip. Both skimmers in Bio Ocean Aquarix don't come with hose barb. But since consumers insisted that we should have it, we added it.

Enjoy Reefing!!

oceanwerx%20acrylic.gif

Regards,

Ocean Werx

A waste collector is useful not because a user may not know how to tune his skimmer. Let me put up a senario...If you are on a holiday and NO one is at home.Before you leave the house,you double checked that the skimmer is tuned at the right level...But when you were away...murphy's law strikes...your chiller breaks down...the temp hits 30 deg and above...everything start to die....the skimmer starts overflowing like crazy..and due to the super high efficieny...it skimms and skimms.....and overflows the collection cup as its full....NOT every beckett user has their skimmer in sump..so water probably starts flowing out of the collection cup...So when you come home....you will find a almost empty sump and water everywhere :fear: Water in the sump will compensate the water that overflow from the skimmer until its ###### air....and your return pump will be running dry, your beckett skimmer pump will be running dry also.... :cry:

oh my god, that's quite a negative scenerio.

guess you've have not seen my post before posting this. as mentioned, the skimmate will simply overflow back into the riser neck and will not overflow out of the collection cup.

let's pray that murphy will not come knocking at any reefer's door anytime soon. :angel:

oceanwerx%20acrylic.gif

Regards,

Ocean Werx

• SRC Member

oh my god, that's quite a negative scenerio.

guess you've have not seen my post before posting this. as mentioned, the skimmate will simply overflow back into the riser neck and will not overflow out of the collection cup.

let's pray that murphy will not come knocking at any reefer's door anytime soon. :angel:

How to overflow back into the riser with a hose barb that leads to the waste collector that cannot work due to holes in the cover?Expected senario would be a waste collector full of water,collection cup full of water and skimmer still trying to skim because no back pressure is created...so it will overflow since the riser is so near to the cover.Anyway,this is provided that a waste collector is used...if not...flooding will occur over the container used to collect skimmate..... :unsure:

All just deductions....actual senario may be different...Just talking theory here...i may be wrong :peace:

How to overflow back into the riser with a hose barb that leads to the waste collector that cannot work due to holes in the cover?Expected senario would be a waste collector full of water,collection cup full of water and skimmer still trying to skim because no back pressure is created...so it will overflow since the riser is so near to the cover.Anyway,this is provided that a waste collector is used...if not...flooding will occur over the container used to collect skimmate..... :unsure:

All just deductions....actual senario may be different...Just talking theory here...i may be wrong :peace:

Calcium Reef

Exactly, the scenerio that I gave is with the use of an auto shut-off gadget. If there are still any doubts, please feel free to drop by BOA and we will show you a LIVE demostration here. ;)

hotlemond

beckett nozzle design enables it to draw in tremendous amount of air. If air is only released thru the hose barb, there will more or less be a slight restriction the the air intake. Even though we use as big a hose barb as possible, we don't take chances, that's why we included the extra air vent.

Basically, we at Ocean Werx don't copy designs blindly. Doesn't mean that other beckett skimmers are build air tight, we should build it air tight too. In fact, the time and resources used to add on extra grooves and deflection rings are more than that of a simple air tight design :( .

If you guys remember, we used to design our skimmers air-tight too :) . http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...1071&hl=beckett

But after some simple R n D, we decided to go against it. :evil:

oceanwerx%20acrylic.gif

Regards,

Ocean Werx

• SRC Member

Haiz, you still don't get wat they are trying to explain.

A collection cup with that many holesssss will not stop the skimming when the waste collector is full. It'll only stop the waste collecting.

I think you must have copied the skimmer design with your eyes closed. Yes it may look different but it doesn't serve any purpose. You are only trying to make the skimmer look different.

Haiz, you still don't get wat they are trying to explain.

A collection cup with that many holesssss will not stop the skimming when the waste collector is full.  It'll only stop the waste collecting.

I think you must have copied the skimmer design with your eyes closed.  Yes it may look different but it doesn't serve any purpose.  You are only trying to make the skimmer look different.

Hi Rex Ng,

perhaps our 2yrs of experience in building skimmers is not as rich as your wonderful knowledge. would you kindly explain to us why you said that we copied our skimmers blindly? if otherwise, it may be unnecessary to post;

"I think you must have copied the skimmer design with your eyes closed. Yes it may look different but it doesn't serve any purpose. You are only trying to make the skimmer look different."

Perhaps, its just some misunderstanding. would you like to go through the full thread again and point out what I missed out in my explanation? Thank you.

Regards

Ocean Werx

oceanwerx%20acrylic.gif

Regards,

Ocean Werx