Advice needed

• SRC Member

Hope any of the brothers can advice me, regarding whether is it ok to place prepared saltwater in bottles and use them later say one mth later..?

Thought of doing that to lessen the hastle of keep preparing saltwater for frequent water changes...

Hope to hear opinions from the brothers and sisters here :bow::bow:

• SRC Member
Hope any of the brothers can advice me, regarding whether is it ok to place prepared saltwater in bottles and use them later say one mth later..?

Thought of doing that to lessen the hastle of keep preparing saltwater for frequent water changes...

Hope to hear opinions from the brothers and sisters here :bow::bow:

Things that may happen:

1. Precipitation (depends on temp and material of the bottle)

Thus lower Ca and Mg over time.... but not a lot.

2. lower pH (depends on water source... tapwater or RO/DI)

May contains bacteria that fouls the water and may upset the pH.

May be caused by point 1..... not so sure.

3. Family member thirsty and drink it.

May be caused by improper education and labelling... (lol... just joking)

If kept for not long...not in terms of months I reckon should be ok. Hope this helps. :)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

if it is not expose to air...i think only can keep it 4 last then 3 days...cos later gt a foul smell... :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advice. Foul smell... oh no... i haven't try smelling it.. the water i used to mix the salt is half Distilled water and half dechlorinated tap water... No $$ to use all distilled water. So as long as i keep it in a cool temp.. it should be ok right? :thanks:

• SRC Member
Not so sure what you mean by storing in bottles.How big are your bottles? 10 or 50 litres?? Anyway, I think it is a more hassle keeping in bottles than mixing new saltwater unless you are using saltwater from the sea.

Hi bro, thanks for yr reply. I store the saltwater in 1.5L bottles. Cos my tank is a small one.. so do abt weekly change out of 10-20% of water which is very little water... it is very difficult to mix small amt of salt water... :blink:

• SRC Member

Hi bro, thanks for yr reply. I store the saltwater in 1.5L bottles. Cos my tank is a small one.. so do abt weekly change out of 10-20% of water which is very little water... it is very difficult to mix small amt of salt water... :blink:

For a small tank it makes more sense to change about 40-50% weekly.Let's say your tank volume is about 50 litres, then you would need to change close to 25 litres weekly.That's a lot of 1.5 litre bottles to store.