Atman MH

mantis

Hi all,

Like to share my experience with this model MH light.

I bought this Atman MH, I think it's MG D1200 (2x150w) model just 6 months ago in Feb this year.

Recently, one of the 150w MH 'stopped' working. So I bought a MH light bulb to replace thinking that the bulb has spoilt. However, I find that it wasn't the bulb that was spoilt as when put the supposedly spoilt bulb on the other socket, it worked. Now I am thinking it is the ballast that is spoilt. I also noticed a burned portion at the wire connection near the ballast (see pic).

Have you guys experienced this? Is it normal for ballast to spoilt so fast? Just six months? I only switch on the MH for about 7 hours in a 24 day. Will the burned wire connection in this MH cause a fire???

Any advice, pls.... :(

post-17-1125144553.jpg

can't trust 'china' goods/brands like ATman MH fixture (cheaper but risky to use..) or diy brands... - no point putting your tank/house even your life at risk (unless u don't mind of taking these risks)

when comes to using equip that operate on electrical -esp consume high watt, do use a reputable brands such as Aqualight which use Heatproof silicon cable, gd ballast and CE certificated etc..

Reputable Brands such Aqualight, Deltec etc spend $$$ and efforts to ensure their products are well-designed, tested and meet the safety requirements -such as CE mark which proves to the buyer or user of the product fulfills all essential safety and environmental requirements as they are defined in the European Directives.

can't trust 'china' goods/brands like ATman MH fixture (cheaper but risky to use..) or some diy brands - no point putting your tank/house even your life at risk (unless u don't mind of taking these risks)

when comes to using equip that consume high watt, do use a reputable brands such as Aqualight which use Heatproof silicon cable, gd ballast and CE certificated etc.. such companies spend $$ and take effots to ensure their products are well-designed, tested and meet the safety requirements -such as ce mark which proves to the buyer or user of the product fulfills all essential safety and environmental requirements as they are defined in the European Directives.

Sound advice. I thought the Atman 4 ft was damn cheap at just over $400 and with timer some more.... Now I regret!

How much is the MH u recommend, any 4ft ones with timer? Where to get? :thanks:

for gd and safe MH brands - eg in this forum :Aqualight~Aquatic

why Aqualight or other reputable~german brands .. uses heat-proof silicon cable, gd HQI ballast, well designed and meet the stringent safety requirements like-CE mark. High-watt consumption equips like MH, chiller.. it is impt that u use

reputable manfacturers that ensure their products are well-tested and meet the international safety requirements. -to protect your investment in this hobby, your house and esp your life etc..

if the price is too-high etc.. u k always find reefers who sell their aqualight or aquamedic MH as used equips.. but must ensure that the used products in gd condition!

• SRC Member
can't trust 'china' goods/brands like ATman MH fixture (cheaper but risky to use..) or diy brands... - no point putting your tank/house even your life at risk (unless u don't mind of taking these risks)

when comes to using equip that operate on electrical -esp consume high watt, do use a reputable brands such as Aqualight which use Heatproof silicon cable, gd ballast and CE certificated etc..

Reputable Brands such Aqualight, Deltec etc spend $$$ and efforts to ensure their products are well-designed, tested and meet the safety requirements -such as CE mark which proves to the buyer or user of the product fulfills all essential safety and environmental requirements as they are defined in the European Directives.

well said.

can also try Giessemann

• SRC Member

Well said...but I still find that every products will have some problems of their own. Even good and well known product/brand have their floss too.

Sometimes, is the luck that you got a gd production piece.

Pls dun discliminate China, they hv gd product too. Now most of the US or Europe products are made in China, so who laugh last. Even cars r making in Thailand and China, so who cares right. U may even buy Taiwan PC products which r comparable to US.

So with all the above statement, I m not tryying to sow trouble but hope u understand each products have their gd and bad, but mostly luck.

just my 2 cents comment. :D

i agreed with u, klim... diff brands have their gd and bad.. in terms of design-look of the product, quality of material used, price vs quality, safety issue etc.

I believe most reputable manfacturers who shift their producttion unit to China etc.however, these manfacturers still take R&D, Testing & ensure that their products still meeting the stringent safety requirement.

It is not mainly due to the place where the products is assemble etc.. but on the manfacturer itself. If the manfacturer eg: Nokia -assemble their HP units in China... Nokia will con't to ensure that their products meet the stringent requirements set by related national/international board etc.

so it is the brand/manfacturer themself -main consideration. For example only>One day, if Deltec decide to cut production cost by setting up a production business unit in China or engage a China Manfacturer to product their products.. I believe Deltec will ensure that their products will con't to spend $$$ on testing , desgin and ensure that their Chian made units are of high standard/meeting safety requirements.

So there are many factors for buyer/user to consider before buying the product. For my case, i prefer to buy reputable brands -due to their reputation, amount of efforts spend on R&D, testing, honest-performance spec and most of all- meetng the safety standards. esp on products that consume high watt.. -than to test brands/manafucturers who just copy design, worst - failed to con't to research and design to improve their products, meeting safety requirement- but to focus on low price strategy-selling their products base on - low selling price, chio design, over-stated preformance spec etc.

hmmm the wire seems to be burned.. is the ballast generating a lots of heat or is the wire size undersized ?

may be due to the quality/design of the ballast itself. cheap MH ballasts - have unstable current/watt loading, easier to over load..

reputable brands -eg Aqualight GIGA MH fixture- using tridonicatco OG type of MH ballast ( 16A rated double screw terminals, non-audible noise level, glass filbre filled nylon cable covers, winding insulation Class H materials, fixed air gap to ensure permanent cablibration etc )

the cable itself - may be a normal cable . not those Heatproof silicon cable. The connector itself may be rusty or of a poor quality- thus creating heat.

Even possible- the overall design, using unreliable components etc.

:thanks: for all the comments and advices so far.

I will certainly consider a better brand next time. I agree that there is no point saving on such an item esp.ly when it can be a fire hazard. :shock: And I don't think it's a good idea to take chances and see if you are lucky or unlucky to get one which is flawed.

Anyway, there is a new develpment. I was just examining the endcap and I found to my horror that the wire has also came off (see pic). It seemed to have just broken off from corrosion....and all these problems just after six months!

I don't think I would be able to solder the wire back becos of the minute space and I am not technician. :(

Does any bro here know if I can get a replacement endcap of the type shown? Or any brothers who want to take over this MH, for a token sum, and get it repair.

I really give up on Atman alreadi! :pirate:

Any help or advice are really appreciated.

post-17-1125231020.jpg

• SRC Member

IMO this seems to be a case that the wire cable used is undersized... that is why the current gen so much heat and melt the cable ... fire haz... soldering no problem can help you bro :) hehe use bigger size wire.. as for ur ballast maybe it still not spoil and can be used...

IMO this seems to be a case that the wire cable used is undersized... that is why the current gen so much heat and melt the cable ... fire haz... soldering no problem can help you bro :) hehe use bigger size wire.. as for ur ballast maybe it still not spoil and can be used...

Lester:

Wow! :rolleyes: Thanks for the offer, bro.

In the worst case scenario, I was planning to get some new MH mounting sockets @ about $17 a piece (I think) and replace all the four sockets. This will probably mean taking the entire unit apart. But it's still easier than soldering...for me.

U are rite, at least one of the ballast is still functional. The other burnt alreadi, so I m not taking chances. I was thinking of getting eballast from Dr E to replace the two magnetic ones.

All in all, I am looking at quite a fair amt of $$$$ of replacement parts......plus the time and effort. I am wondering if it is worth it. What happens if after all these costs and efforts, something go 'kaput' in six months' time.

I m not sure if I should just repair or get a new MH.....like suggested by a few of the bros, here. I was thinking of Arcadia Slimline Pendant, but I think this only hang and not sit on the hood/tank.

Any other models of MH that any bros here can recommend would be most welcome.....preferrable eballast, sit on the tank (4 ft), and has a timer.

Thanks again lester.

Giessemann model MH with timer and can sit on the tank..

http://www.giesemann.de/en/meerwasserbeleuchtung/260_sun.php

http://www.giesemann.de/en/meerwasserbeleu...ng/260_moon.php

much..much more exp than aqualight, Arcadia etc not too sure of the actual price.. but believe it is over 3k.

can sit on the tank .. sorrie, nope.

For aqualight, arcadia, giesesmann .. u can get a mh fixture that has same length as your tank hood.. and rest the fixture on your tank hood etc.

eg: aqualight model or other brands.. fixture with external ballast design- don't need to worry about the weight of the fixture/ballasts.

Giessemann model MH with timer and can sit on the tank..

http://www.giesemann.de/en/meerwasserbeleuchtung/260_sun.php

http://www.giesemann.de/en/meerwasserbeleu...ng/260_moon.php

much..much more exp than aqualight, Arcadia etc not too sure of the actual price.. but believe it is over 3k.

can sit on the tank .. sorrie, nope.

For aqualight, arcadia, giesesmann .. u can get a mh fixture that has same length as your tank hood.. and rest the fixture on your tank hood etc.

eg: aqualight model or other brands.. fixture with external ballast design- don't need to worry about the weight of the fixture/ballasts.

:thanks: for the website.

> 3K is abit off my budget. I may consider something between 1.5k - 2k for such a light or perhaps get DE to customise.

In the meantime, I hv to replace the burnt magnetic ballast and the MH sockets. After the repairs, I may decide to let go to reefers bro here at a modest price. :) pity that it's only six month old.