HELP! Tank crashed

jimmyz

• SRC Member

hi all... my tank crashed yesterday and i have change all the water with newly mixed saltwater... but how come the water is still cloudy.... is it normal in the initial??? cos last time when i cycled my tank it does not look cloudy... thanx for all replies

• SRC Member

mine took about 2 days to settle down & clear off. what happened to your tank? make sure your biological filter is working well since u change 100% water. I suggest u test for ammonia & NO2 daily to play safe

• SRC Member
now currently cycling again... all livestock dead but coral i place in a tub already...

anyway suspect it could be due to the anemone being stuck into the powerhead the day before...

is the anemone dead??? if the anemone is dead...it may be the cause of ur crash.. :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

when i return home.. i saw the anemone stuck in the seio pump.... most likely the anemone is dead by then... and when i retrieve it out.. there seem to some liquid flowing out... could that be toxic??? however... the tank crashed only after the second nite and not the first...

Yes, the dead anemone would have caused lots of toxics to be spilled into your tank... it's a surprise the corals are still alive...

Suggest, you add Activated carbon to help in absorbing the toxics... :)

Another change of water would be good.... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Happened to my 2' once. Stupid anemone decided to take a walk when I was out and got sucked into the seio. Got an urgent call from my mum to tell me "your anenemone (yeah! that's what she said...anenemone) got stuck in the pump!"

Rushed home (already almost 2hr) and saw the bugger half sticking out of the powerhead. Removed the powerhead, did emergency water change (abt 40%) and the water was almost clear. Fish and livestock didn;t seem too bothered.

Did another 20% water change the next day. Everything fine and no casualties! Really heng man!

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
Suggest, you add Activated carbon to help in absorbing the toxics... :)

Another change of water would be good.... :)

Think that helped...the activated carbon. ;)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

btw so is it normal that my water is cloudy??

Besides the obvious bacteria build-up, if you just mix tap water directly with your salt mix, you will encounter 'cloudy water'.

In order to rectify this, always air your tap water over night with a small air pump or powerhead before mixing with your salt mix.

If it is bacteria build-up or less than perfect water condition due to your corals dying, try doing partial but frequent water change. ;)

HTH :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

If the cloudiness is because of what was mentioned by Gouldian concerning the tapwater and fresh salt-mix, then it will clear after a while. If its because of bacterai build-up or imperfect water quality, then it wont clear up. Try to do partial water changes with well aerated water.

Can you test the tank water for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate to see if the tank is recycling again?

You got the carbon yet?

so currently i have mixed the tap water with the salt without aeration or leaving it overnight... so how i rectify this problem??? will it be clear after a few days??

If it is due to your not aerating your fresh water, the symptom will disappear after a couple of hours to a day. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
i have just put in the carbon... so will it help in clearing the water too??? how long it takes to see if its effective???

after 2 daes..u will see ur water crystal clear..but still..make sure to do testing every fortnight to check ur water parameters b4 introducing back ur corals...

change the activated carbon after a week... :D

ps: DO NOT KEEP ANEMONE!!! ACCIDENTS WILL OCCUR ANYTIME!!...haha.. :P

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

the anemone didnt move when i was at home the previous few days... only went back a bit late and this happen... sian....

anyway check my nitrite ... its 1.6mg/l and nitrate less than 5 mg/l.... the presence of nitrite means that it is still cycling rite?? do i hv to do a water change??

• SRC Member

My condolence to you.......I had a same incident recently.....my stupid sea hare kanna suck alive by my power head too........did a 10% water change and throw in some carbon to absorb any toxic!....Damn Sway....it a good red carpet remover! <_<