Understanding SPS Light Requirements

• SRC Member
:off: Bro AR,how many inches is your mh away from your water surface considering that your tank is 2.5ft high but yet maintaining good coral coloration :thanks:

About 8 inches off the water surface and running the light for about 6 hours. 4 x80w T5 3 inches off the water and running for 10 hours.

My SPS are roughly at the top 3/4 of the tank. The rest reserved for LPS etc etc..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

DK,

thats very interesting, .... is the chart measuring the sun and what it gives at various depths or artificial lighting... :)...

Pls I'm jus agreeing with all of you guys, intensity matters, only its not gonna be a big difference if you move it 6" +- from mean.. I'd rather cater for the spectrum the coral requires than worry abt ... its it too low, or too high?.. or jus be kaisu.. over cater a bit.

sunlight or artifical lighting makes no difference.

Same wavelength will have the same lost at the same depth. Our tank at most 2.5ft or even 3ft down and that's about 1m, you can see how much intensity is lost for the various wavelength.

The results says no significant difference in the absorbance of the different wave length in our tank.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
This is from XM 10k SE bulb.

> SPS that shows orange/red colour, needs 550-600 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows purple/blue colour, needs 310-380 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows blue/green colour, needs 380-470 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows green/yellow colour, needs 430-490 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows yellow colour, needs 440-500 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows Red/Orange colour, needs 500-540 nm spectrum of the light.

so does it make sense to put blue/green SPS lower since the XM SE 10,000K bulb peaks at this relevant range?

if so, that means by checking out the chart of the bulbs we buy, whichever spectrum the bulb peaks or cover mostly, we can be sure that the associated SPS can be placed lower in the tank?

OR just simply whichever range the bulb we use peak or cover, that is the right bulb to get for that relevant colored SPS, nothing to do with the height that we place the SPS?

sorry, i also blur liao.. :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

This is almost equivalent to saying that green plants will have low photosynthesis level in green light as it reflects green light.

But not all SPS colours come from the zooxathellae alone.

Some is produced as protection against UV light

And I believe, to a certain extent that SPS can change to suit their conditions. Its like blasting a green SPS with green light, so they'll change to absorb the other spectrum of light instead.

I've seen frags from the same colonies turn out differently in different reefer's tanks under different light spectrums :D

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

> SPS that shows orange/red colour, needs 550-600 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows purple/blue colour, needs 310-380 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows blue/green colour, needs 380-470 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows green/yellow colour, needs 430-490 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows yellow colour, needs 440-500 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows Red/Orange colour, needs 500-540 nm spectrum of the light.

Excerpted from this article by Sanjay Joshi : Photosynthesis and Photoadaptation, in the paragraph on 'Spectral distribution of light', ...

As light passes through the water column, it is attenuated exponentially, and this attenuation is not uniform across all wavelengths. So the water acts as a “filter,” reducing the spectrum of light that penetrates it. As depth increases, the waveband of light that penetrates narrows. The shorter wavelengths (reds and yellows) are the first to be absorbed, and the blue light penetrates the deepest. At a depth of 1 meter, only 50 to 60 percent of the higher wavelength light (600 to 700 nm) penetrates the water, and at a depth of 10 meters less than 10 percent of the higher wavelength light penetrates. By comparison, 92 to 97 percent of the irradiance in the 400 to 575 nm range is transmitted at 1 meter in depth, and 40 to 50 percent of the available spectrum in the range of 400 to 550 nm penetrates to depths of 10 meters (Jerlov 1976). Most of the SPS corals are found in waters less than 15 meters deep, but our reef aquariums are usually 24 to 30 inches deep. So, we cannot rely on water to create the difference in spectral distribution in the tank and have to rely on the bulbs to provide a “correct” spectral distribution.

I'm trying to understand this better... by explaining, so bear with me if I interpret wrongly... I think what Sanjay is trying to say... to your questions :

so does it make sense to put blue/green SPS lower since the XM SE 10,000K bulb peaks at this relevant range?
... it doesn't matter how low you go, so long as you meet the spectrum the coral needs and provided you don't go over 2.5 feet deep

if so, that means by checking out the chart of the bulbs we buy, whichever spectrum the bulb peaks or cover mostly, we can be sure that the associated SPS can be placed lower in the tank?
, yes as above.

OR just simply whichever range the bulb we use peak or cover, that is the right bulb to get for that relevant colored SPS, nothing to do with the height that we place the SPS?
same questions phrase differently. yes, but not < 2.5'