RAV-65's Reef Haven...

RAV-65

• SRC Member

:D

Well, alot of people miscalculated the size of sump (including me). And tank maker normally do not know it or unaware of it because you buying your own equipment. They normally guess or presume. Hence many have overflow problem during power tripped.

Even with those info you have, it may not be accurate (length/dia of pipes, volume of alll pipes also contain water during normal operation).

That is why i suggest you include a drainage pipe in the sump for overflow if you can connect to the floor trap. Just to be safe and keep your floor dry. :)

Exactly like what reefaholic said...the tank maker might not be aware of the equipment you're gonna run or have not factored that in or don't know how to calculate. Better safe than sorry. ;)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly like what reefaholic said...the tank maker might not be aware of the equipment you're gonna run or have not factored that in or don't know how to calculate. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Actually I already have an idea of the equipment I'm using... :)

So the tank maker is customising most of the stuffs for me... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Actually I already have an idea of the equipment I'm using... :)

So the tank maker is customising most of the stuffs for me... :)

now that u hv finished ur design.. wanna help me wif mine?? :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
QUOTE (RAV-65 @ Sep 28 2005, 10:37 PM)

Reefaholic & WL : I understand what the both of you mean... now I'm paranoid again... do I need to increase the height of my sump by another 2-3 inch?? 

Guess better do another assessment of the extra volume the sump can hold, just to make sure... 

Well, alot of people miscalculated the size of sump (including me). And tank maker normally do not know it or unaware of it because you buying your own equipment. They normally guess or presume. Hence many have overflow problem during power tripped.

Even with those info you have, it may not be accurate (length/dia of pipes, volume of alll pipes also contain water during normal operation).

That is why i suggest you include a drainage pipe in the sump for overflow if you can connect to the floor trap. Just to be safe and keep your floor dry. 

small little problem....imagine the situation...power shutdown -> overflow -> drain out overflow water -> water volume reduce -> power return -> some pumps run dry.......

hi Rav,

a bit of feedback to tickle your mind. i have been thinking of my 6x2x2.5 for quite a while. :D

why have 2 side overflow and waste 16" of viewing space altogether, any particular reason for 2 side overflow? isn't one side of overflow sufficient? then you can save additional 8" of viewing space from the front.

B)

• SRC Member

Salinity?

with that type of volume don't think the sal. with decrease too much....anyway, water top up is a good idea.....but you might just have to find a container big enough or you intent to connect your DI direct to tap and control using a solonid????

Salinity?

Based on the idea of having a hole drilled around the top of the sump tank just in case the sump tank overflows, the amount of water that's drained out shouldn't be too much, unless there is a gross miscalculation of the sump's holding volume in case of a blackout...

So I guess the salinity wouldn't be too big a problem as it would be diluted with the 1000+L of water I have?? :)

Thanxs for reminding though... :peace:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

i recommend that u get a diving mask n snorkel so that u can do a proper cleaning of the tank.. i intend to do that already... :lol: as for asking u to help.. will give u a buzz again..

kopi on me.. :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Based on the idea of having a hole drilled around the top of the sump tank just in case the sump tank overflows, the amount of water that's drained out shouldn't be too much, unless there is a gross miscalculation of the sump's holding volume in case of a blackout...

So I guess the salinity wouldn't be too big a problem as it would be diluted with the 1000+L of water I have?? :)

Thanxs for reminding though... :peace:

No worries, the best is if you can spec the sump to handle all the backflow without spillage tho. way safer in my humble opinion. :)

hi Rav,

a bit of feedback to tickle your mind. i have been thinking of my 6x2x2.5 for quite a while. :D

why have 2 side overflow and waste 16" of viewing space altogether, any particular reason for 2 side overflow? isn't one side of overflow sufficient? then you can save additional 8" of viewing space from the front.

B)

Hey bro!!

Thanxs for you input! :peace:

Anyway, if you have followed the thread... the reason is because I'm trying to have a 3 feet depth tank ( in the end 33" )... but becoz I got no access at the back of the tank where the overflow is, the next best option is to have the overflows on each side... :)

Also, the equipments I've planned is suited for a 5 feet tank and I'm also trying to keep the water volume down... :) Having a 6 footer would mean even bigger water volume... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

No worries, the best is if you can spec the sump to handle all the backflow without spillage tho. way safer in my humble opinion. :)

Agreed! Tink I'll got for a wider sump... coz now my sump design only 24" wide... maybe should go for 28 inch... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

i recommend that u get a diving mask n snorkel so that u can do a proper cleaning of the tank.. i intend to do that already... :lol: as for asking u to help.. will give u a buzz again..

kopi on me.. :lol:

Kopi?! Kopi tiam one or kopi bean one?!? :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey bro!!

Thanxs for you input! :peace:

Anyway, if you have followed the thread... the reason is because I'm trying to have a 3 feet depth tank ( in the end 33" )... but becoz I got no access at the back of the tank where the overflow is, the next best option is to have the overflows on each side... :)

Also, the equipments I've planned is suited for a 5 feet tank and I'm also trying to keep the water volume down... :) Having a 6 footer would mean even bigger water volume... :)

Dude, why do you need 2 overflows on each side? An overflow that spans the entire width of the tank on 1 side of the tank insufficient? Just asking only :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Above will help you with calculating the actual width of the overflow and piping needed for your flow rate. Hope it helps

• SRC Member

Agreed! Tink I'll got for a wider sump... coz now my sump design only 24" wide... maybe should go for 28 inch... :)

You can try to minimise the actual level of water in the sump during normal run-time too. This would give you more space to contain the backflow.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/sump.php

Above will help you with the calculation of sump volume needed :) Hope that helps too..

• SRC Member

Kopi?! Kopi tiam one or kopi bean one?!? :P

dun kar a poor man leh.. at most, i snorkel inside ur tank when u need help to setup lor.. kekekek :lol: n pls.. dun give me advice like 3ft width... the depth of my wallet aint like urs... :( urs is like 3ft deep, mine only 3" deep :lol:,

anyway, dun u think kopi tiam coffee nicer, more aroma?? can buy u 5 cups leh.. kekeke.. :off:

just a note, i hope u realised that wif a 33" depth, n 3' width, cleaning is an issue.. :o n i'm not joking abt using the mask n snorkel issue leh.. B) also, i pity ur livestock n corals, hving to endure wif a smell armpit when doing maintenance.

Lucky for u, can have a 28" wide sump. i dun think mine can accommodate it.. but i'll talk to WJ on this... reading the backflow issue, really scared me :eyeblur:

Dude, why do you need 2 overflows on each side? An overflow that spans the entire width of the tank on 1 side of the tank insufficient? Just asking only :)

Above will help you with calculating the actual width of the overflow and piping needed for your flow rate. Hope it helps

You know the Sinagporean mentality?? KIASU?? :)

Actually I'm trying to have more overflow area as it would allow more surface water to be skimmed... according to Anthony Calfo... the top layer of water normally carries the highest concentration of nutrients... ;)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

dun kar a poor man leh.. at most, i snorkel inside ur tank when u need help to setup lor.. kekekek :lol: n pls.. dun give me advice like 3ft width... the depth of my wallet aint like urs... :( urs is like 3ft deep, mine only 3" deep :lol:,

anyway, dun u think kopi tiam coffee nicer, more aroma?? can buy u 5 cups leh.. kekeke.. :off:

just a note, i hope u realised that wif a 33" depth, n 3' width, cleaning is an issue.. :o n i'm not joking abt using the mask n snorkel issue leh.. B) also, i pity ur livestock n corals, hving to endure wif a smell armpit when doing maintenance.

Lucky for u, can have a 28" wide sump. i dun think mine can accommodate it.. but i'll talk to WJ on this... reading the backflow issue, really scared me :eyeblur:

*Abish abish*

Dun suan me hor... wat wallet deep?? You so sure I not borrowing from loanshark to fund this tank?!??! :P

Wat armpit smell??? I got very clean and good-smelling armpit hor... :P :P :P

Anyway, my tank is 33" depth and 27" height... Pray for me... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

You know the Sinagporean mentality?? KIASU?? :)

Actually I'm trying to have more overflow area as it would allow more surface water to be skimmed... according to Anthony Calfo... the top layer of water normally carries the highest concentration of nutrients... ;)

So both overflows will drain into the first compartment of your sump which has the skimmer feed pump running? This will optimised the nutrient removal also.

Vincent, if you do follow the calculation from RC as recommend by Alfa then please take into consideration any comb used on top of the overflow box as mentioned earlier.

From pure calculation looks fine by in practise you will certainly need a longer linear length as the overflow comb would reduce the area that the water can overflow into the box.

So both overflows will drain into the first compartment of your sump which has the skimmer feed pump running? This will optimised the nutrient removal also.

Yup... dat's exactly wat I'm doing... ;)

But worried about having bubbles in the 1st chamber coz ofthe water coming down splashing...

The skimmer den "returns" the water into the 2nd chamber... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Vincent, if you do follow the calculation from RC as recommend by Alfa then please take into consideration any comb used on top of the overflow box as mentioned earlier.

From pure calculation looks fine by in practise you will certainly need a longer linear length as the overflow comb would reduce the area that the water can overflow into the box.

Yup... get what you mean... and I'm already going to be more kiasu by making a slightly bigger sump! :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg