Prizm Skimmer

damsels

Dear bros,

need some advice on prizm skimmer. Thanks so much in advance.

currently having a painful problem with my 4ft tank, 10mm glass. my tank only comes with a IOS - dont have a sump. The IOS partition is miserable narrow that I cannot fit in my skimmer and its pump, AND a return pump to the main tank.

Thus I am considering external hang-on skimmer like prizm skimmer. But have questions as:

1) prizm skimmer - wil be too heavy for the tank glass? well...i presume shld be safe since they are meant to be hanged...shldnt be too heavy right? 10mm glass...

2) does the skimmer comes with its own pump? i saw a few picture of the pump, looks like there is a pump inside to draw the water from the tank. so just that pump is enough for the skimmer to work?

3) well...the collection cup or whatever is good enough to prevent any foam and water from overflowing? wait my floor all wet hahaha :lol:

• SRC Member
Dear bros,

need some advice on prizm skimmer. Thanks so much in advance.

currently having a painful problem with my 4ft tank, 10mm glass. my tank only comes with a IOS - dont have a sump. The IOS partition is miserable narrow that I cannot fit in my skimmer and its pump, AND a return pump to the main tank.

Thus I am considering external hang-on skimmer like prizm skimmer. But have questions as:

1) prizm skimmer - wil be too heavy for the tank glass? well...i presume shld be safe since they are meant to be hanged...shldnt be too heavy right? 10mm glass...

2) does the skimmer comes with its own pump? i saw a few picture of the pump, looks like there is a pump inside to draw the water from the tank. so just that pump is enough for the skimmer to work?

3) well...the collection cup or whatever is good enough to prevent any foam and water from overflowing? wait my floor all wet hahaha  :lol:

Hi,

I'm also using Prizm, let me try answering your questions:

1) Been using for a few weeks, my 2ft tank only 6mm thick...

2) Yes come with its own external pump

3) Just clear it regularly lor... :P

Info here: Prizm

most of the commerical sites which are retailing this product comments that it is good for 70g, 90g or even 100g...hmm...so not really true?

Any other hang-on skimmer that is good for 4ft? Thanks! :lol:

• SRC Member
most of the commerical sites which are retailing this product comments that it is good for 70g, 90g or even 100g...hmm...so not really true?

my experience with Primz not that good....i had better results with weipro.... :P

• SRC Member
this is just my personal opinion :P prizm skimmer is great for 2ft and below. it is a great skimmer and i like it compact in size :) but it won't be that effective for your 4ft tank.

just my 2 cent worth :)

Hi,

I agree with bro Loster, Prizm skimmer is not effective for 4 footer. Try get a out sump Beckett Skimmer and u will not regret.

:)

• SRC Member

normally there are over rated :P i guess it is best for 2ft or smaller. it pump runs 600 l/h. so, it may not effective on your 4ft :)

since you don't have sump, bigger skimmer may not practical. for the hang type skimmer, you can look into either AquaC or deltec if your budget allow. pay a little more and it will safe your headache :P

age.png