Cycling the tank

Hi bros,

I'm veerry new to marine hobby, and I've got a really small tank. It's about 1.2 ft * 1.2 ft * 1 ft, with a filtration system behind it. All in one tank, with cover and light. The only thing I DIY-ed was the 4 small fans on the cover to do a push-pull configuration.

It's now pretty constant at 27-28 degree C.

Only things inside are LR (about 2 kg worth).

anyway, I'm at my late 3rd week in the cycling period, and ammonia levels is zero, while Nitrite (NO2) is still present (haven't checked today). But I read from the web, that after my NO2 is zero, I have to do a COMPLETE water change. Is this true???

How different is this from changing it before?

I mean, in the beginning, I bought water from the LFS, and the LR as well. Then things started dying. All the bristleworms, de crabs, and de snails (came with the LRs) were dead within the first week. But bacteria should be present on the rock, right? so why now, I change de water, a COMPLETE one, and expect things to be okay.

The website is:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/beginners.../a/aa061703.htm

and I quote:

"Perform a Water Change

After the ammonia and nitrite levels drop to zero, as soon as possible or at least within 5 days, perform a complete water change. "

Should I or should I just do a 40% change?

Please help. Any advice from the experts here??? Coz I don't feel like cycling for ANOTHER month... cannot tahan oredi... backside itchy want to buy fish... :paiseh:

• SRC Member

if perform 100% water change no use of cycling in the first place. check ur nitrite level again, den follow by nitrate, PO4. 30-40% is sufficient. and yes, if u change 100% of ur water, provided that ur liverocks has started working, means that useful bacteria on it, the cycling period will be less than a week. So, i think it's wad they meant by 100% water change. They assumed that ur LRs are ready to handle the job.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Thanks for that!

Any other bros have similar inputs?

it will be best if u measure ur nitrate and po4 or even silicate leval after ur nitrite has gone down to zero.

depending on the result of the NO3 reading ... let says 60ppm... maybe changing halve will bring to 30 .

IMO , no need to change 100%. :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

100% water change, I did not do it. Water will be good eventually with or without water change...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Thanks for that!

Any other bros have similar inputs?

you very funny leh.....

why would you want similar inputs????

ask for different opinions ma........

purpose of changing the water is to remove the bulk of no3 that is still left in the tank and top up what ever minerals taken away by I-also-don't-know-what-since-there-is-nothing-in-the-tank...

IMHO... i think the proper way of cycling is to wait untill no3 is zero.... no need to change water that way theortically since there is no harmful "chemicals" left.. but im sure in most cases still got those pesky mantis/pistol shrimp left....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.