CKS's horse staple

CKS

• SRC Member
In-tank kreisel system

dont know how long they'll last :erm:

yo bro, ur in tank kresiel got "FRESH" water recycling it? :huh: i dun c the inlet for clean filter water... only c u mention punch a hole(for dirty water to get out) in the tub? :eyeblur:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Bro... myabe u wanna try building one of DIY FISHBOWL ? if u can try building a bigger one.... cos from my experience....the smaller the fishbowl..... the fries not able to rest or take abreak... cos have to constant swimming hard to balance and fight e criculing effect of e fish bowl....

if bigger or huge fish bowl, the fries able to just hover in the centre( like the eye of tyhoon) of the fishbow to rest and feed. :peace:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

yo bro, ur in tank kresiel got "FRESH" water recycling it? :huh: i dun c the inlet for clean filter water... only c u mention punch a hole(for dirty water to get out) in the tub? :eyeblur:

they are actually in the display tank (better water quality and no danger of metal toxicity from arteficial saltmix) so i guess the hole covered with mesh should be enough for osmosis to take place?

Your DIY looks great!! but how big is it? the diameter?

Most of my fries are still floating at the top, i think they're so gonna be gonner :ph34r:

• SRC Member
they are actually in the display tank (better water quality and no danger of metal toxicity from arteficial saltmix) so i guess the hole covered with mesh should be enough for osmosis to take place?

Your DIY looks great!! but how big is it? the diameter?

Most of my fries are still floating at the top, i think they're so gonna be a gonner :ph34r:

Yes... i under stand they are in the display tank..... but are u feedind e bowl with fliter clean water from ur main tank through the return outlet of ur maintank filter? if not the dirty water not able to escape out of bowl... turning the bowl into a ammonia factory! :P

• SRC Member

Yes... i under stand they are in the display tank..... but are u feedind e bowl with fliter clean water from ur main tank through the return outlet of ur maintank filter? if not the dirty water not able to escape out of bowl... turning the bowl into a ammonia factory! :P

nope (oops) ... thought that the water quality will be the same as the display's because of the outlet covered with fine mesh .. hm..

Thanks for the tips bro.

• SRC Member

And u gotta hatch e bbs 2-3 times a day... each time for evey meal.... cos if u were to have a batch of bbs hatch for breakfast.... by the time u used it for dinner.... the bbs would have grown bigger.... making it difficult for less than 1 week old fries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Updates

All the fries from the last broodstock died more than a week ago :cry2:

Most of them were floating on the surface when i found them, and 80% of them actually got washed down to the refug when i got them.

BUT, another of my seahorse gave birth this morning!!

this time the father releases the fries in the in-tank kresiel setup. :D

• SRC Member

Well done bro CKS! I see they've grown quite abit since the last update :upsidedown:

I'm still on the adoption list rite? :P:eyebrow:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
Well done bro CKS! I see they've grown quite abit since the last update :upsidedown:

I'm still on the adoption list rite? :P:eyebrow:

em. these r another batch.. the previous batch died

Haha i dont even know if i'll be able to bring any of them up to presentable size.

• SRC Member

Updates

All fries died .. again .. i think i'll just get a fish that will feed on seahorse fries on next birth :evil:

think my intank kresiel system sux, exposing them to the bright light from the display tank may be one of the courses of high fatality

will just use the intank kresiel to grow out ulva.

• SRC Member

Bro CKS my deepest condolence... :cry:

But dun give up bro :upsidedown: Can always try again... I'm still waiting for my new tank to be ready den maybe I might get down into SH too or maybe pipes hahaha :peace:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
Bro CKS my deepest condolence... :cry:

But dun give up bro  :upsidedown:  Can always try again... I'm still waiting for my new tank to be ready den maybe I might get down into SH too or maybe pipes hahaha  :peace:

i think another of my male is pregnant !!

will either try again or get a fish to eat em!!! :evil:

hm... how do i sterilize SH??

• SRC Member

Hahaha anything to cut?

Hey bro u're my inpiration on SH lor so keep up the good work erm do they've condom for SH? hmmm :eyebrow:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
Hahaha anything to cut?

Hey bro u're my inpiration on SH lor so keep up the good work erm do they've condom for SH? hmmm :eyebrow:

Thanks!! it pays to be patient and only get captive bred SH!!

i quote AVA "you cannot teach them how to use condom .. sterilize them!"

maybe becoz its their mating season.. hope it'll be over soon!

• SRC Member

Congrats on having CNY babies!

Xin Ni Dua Huat! :D

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

Hi CKS,

There are no mating seasons and every day is mating seasons once the female is filled with eggs and the male is empty.

Narrow down to the bigger size and just try raising from there, said about 10. Put them all in a matured 2 footer with 2 to 3 sponge filters operated by air. Build a small compartment about 6'' x 6'' to about the high of the tank to 1 side of the tank. Bottom should be through and seal off by a square sponge tigth fix. Air lift water into the square compartment to ensure good water exchange.

Put the 10 good fries into the compartment and feed sparsly for 1st week with the smallest BBS you can get 3 times /day.

Space restriction would ensure good BBS distribution and good hunting opportunity for the fries.

Cover up all 3 sides except the side furthest to the compartment. Don't need any lighting on tank top, just dim ambience would be perfect.

When the fries grow just a little, you got chance.....

Lastly if you really grew tired if it. We can exchange with all males to you. Guess you already have some feeling for them .....

Cheer!

• SRC Member

Thanks for the tips!! :thanks:

No doubt that your setup will work .. but Christ, how did u managed to keep them off the surface ?

Im currently trying this method

-kreisel system in another 1.5ft tank

-1 sponge filter

-feed them 2 times per day (BBS)

-covered up the top 4 sides of the tank

-provide lighting near the bottom of the tank

out of the 16 fries i managed to scoop out of my tank, only 1 made it to day 7 so far

didnt have much luck in the previous in-tank method .. they died within 5 days or so

maybe i'll add more sponge filter for the next brood.

post-32-1139110315.jpg

• SRC Member

Just wondering .. since seahorses r very sociable animals, and it has been reported that if they've already bonded, the health of the seahorse will start declining if their another half died... do u guys think they'll exhibit this behavior if we separate them?

oh and Chris .. u've gotto restrain from showing ur seahorses in the husbandry too much Discovery channel :D

• SRC Member

Hi CKS,

Have not experience such social problem at this young stage. As they grow older about 2 to 3 months and older, separation would cause death or self induce starvation. Never buy one horse only, at least a pair, better with 4.

I don't use any light at all. Just place your tank somewhere dim. Change 1/2 water weekend. More sponge filters better.

Those sticking to the surface would be "Goner" soon. Generate small but sufficient current by air bubbling - don't use air stone, should keep them off the surface.

Any survival so far?

Cheer!

• SRC Member

Keep it up or rather ur horses r working it on man :upsidedown:

Post more pics leh :lol:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• 2 weeks later...