butterfly fish not eating

• SRC Member

bought new butterfly fish.

2 days already.

she not eating any pellets or frozen worms.

But my 2 clown fishes eat the food very happily and fast.

Is it my butterfly feel lonely? must buy pair?

--- she like to hide to dark place, behind pump--

• SRC Member
bought new butterfly fish.

2 days already.

she not eating any pellets or frozen worms.

But my 2 clown fishes eat the food very happily and fast.

Is it my butterfly feel lonely? must buy pair?

--- she like to hide to dark place, behind pump--

:huh:

Butterfly fishes are never easy to keep. I suggest you read more before you buy. They usually never eat. Even they do eat they only eat corals. Even they eat corals they usually never survive. Hope you dont buy butterfly fishes anymore.

• SRC Member

:huh:

Butterfly fishes are never easy to keep. I suggest you read more before you buy. They usually never eat. Even they do eat they only eat corals. Even they eat corals they usually never survive. Hope you dont buy butterfly fishes anymore.

oh no.

from : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...12&js_enabled=0

i think she going to die because no suitable food for her.

all right. the shop keeper bluff me again.

"Quite easy "

from internet " difficult"

maybe, next time when buying fishes, must printout all 1001 of fishes, so

that won't ka na bluff again.... :cry2:

• SRC Member

o u got a copperband.... longtime ago, i managed to get my to feed on live tubifex & blood worms as a start... i know some bros n sis will shake head n say no gd; but its better than starving the fish to death yeah? u may try n get those earthworms if available. Then after a few weeks of that, managed to wean it to mkt prawn meat...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

You can try to feed it those adult live brine shrimp avaliable at fish shop...Ya i agree with bro Dazza... at least try to feed it frozen bloodworms first..... then wean into something else.... try to enrich the live shrimp with fish food first..... meaning... feed some fish food flake or whatever dry food you feed to ur marine fish... then a few hours later feed the gut loaded brine shrimp to ur copperband.... hope this helps

this one i got it from a friend. Not sure how long he has kept it, but should be more than 2 month. I kept it for 2 months already. Start to keep it during tank cycle stage!! No problem, still as strong. My friend say no problem use it for tank cycle!!

:)

• SRC Member

The copperband... sigh.... Simple colors but very graceful fish.

Try feeding it with mysis/brine shrimp soak with garlic. You may want to avoid keeping with fast & greedy feeders.

I was lucky to get them feeding on frozen food & flakes, but they just swim too slowly to get enough food. Slowly waste away...sigh....

• SRC Member

For the copper band. i have a way, if u r really desperate...

Buy a small cheap anemone and place it into yur tank. This should encourage it to start pecking at it...

It'll kill it eventually but probably by that time u'll start it off with other foods.

Dont flame me... it works for some. Taught to me by a friend.

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

are your butterfly fishes eating? did you see my pm...anyway try very fine/small spirulina fish food when i had baby butterfly they eat even on the first day mine were very shy feeders they got scared when i stand in front of tank so i would continue to stand and leave my hand over the tank to prepare to drop in the food when they become curious...by the way mine had very small mouth cause baby ones mah...but most of my fishes died when my anemone died in water inlet got sucked in and i had a mass grave...only managed to save my yellow tang...and i was so sad after that 6 different baby butterfly all died at the same time... :(

truth remains..."Thirsty in an Ocean"

• SRC Member
Usually new fishes i only feed on 3rd day.. cos they won't start eating straight away and any excess food will just turn to waste.

On the 3rd day they just gobble up the food greedily

just my 2 cents ;)

hohoho..

what if the fishes doesnt make it through the third day?..

serious loss..

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh.. :pinch: Sure kena scolding from everyone here..

I went to the marine fishy shop.. and shopped a bit.. the person also told me "this fish ez to keep lah for beginners" and I bought it.

Put in, dun really see it eating (i might be wrong); and am very very worried now...

Mine's a Copperband Butterfly.. very very beautiful species I must sae, hope someone here can help me with this on how to feed it.. Currently have frozen brime only tho (garlic juice: can I just minced the garlic and mix the brime in?)

:( Thx

• SRC Member

Why don't u release it than seeing it dying slowly of hunger in your tank?

Heard from many seniors that butterfly fishes are best left in their natural home, the ocean, 'cos not many hobbyists know how to keep them. If we dun support the purchase of butterfly fishes, then the traders will reduce importing them --> less capturing from the ocean.

just my 2ct worth. :)

• SRC Member
Why don't u release it than seeing it dying slowly of hunger in your tank?

Heard from many seniors that butterfly fishes are best left in their natural home, the ocean, 'cos not many hobbyists know how to keep them. If we dun support the purchase of butterfly fishes, then the traders will reduce importing them --> less capturing from the ocean.

just my 2ct worth. :)

release it to where?

ad-adware: i believe copperband feed on algae. Feed it some algae or lettuce??

Senior reefers, correct me if i'm wrong.. my experience with copperband with limited

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

i received a double sadled butterflyfish as a gift. did little to no research on them b4 cuz all i knew that they were not reef safe.

but after a night in my isolation box ( all fish introduced into the tank must spend at least 1 day in isloation :lol: or till they start eating the food i feed them ) he started wacking frozen brine with much content

can see him peckin at my LR too. i think i've got a greedy one =)

Yep it's true that most butterfly fish feed exclusively on corals. Yellow longnose and copperband butterflies don't feed on algae or corals. Their forcep like mouth is to reach small inverts hiding in coral skeletons/between rocks. Not as hard to keep compared to those feeding on corals but still you need to get them feeding as soon as possible for success.

Another butterflyfish which you could consider is the racoon butterlyfish, one of the easier species.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/