Starting Cookfood Business

Metam

hey fellow bros and sis,

Firstly, pardon me for the lousy "ang mo"

i might be venturing into food business with few of my pals.

I'm thinking of starting cookfood stall in one of the kopidiam. disadvantage is that location is not as good as expected what i see in S11 strategy locations.

Mainly, its cater for people staying around that area. And would like to ask and check which bros into this businesses now? Cause, need to understand more about the pros and cons. We are working out the inital investment for this business

you may add your views and comments here and i do welcome Pms too.

hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Met

• SRC Member

no 1 - food must be nice :P

if ur food is ave ... then no 1 will be good location

if ur food is ave and ur loc is ave, the no 1 will be cheapest food

if ur food is ave and loc is ave and cost is ave, then go for niche

like bubble tea. but u have to be 1st to get in, earn enuff and exit :P

hahhaha! thats a funnny repiled bro.

But, i can see you made a good comments too.. appreciate that!

Of coz, i am looking into in right now. food likwise i can said it diff from the others that we are doing now. Location likewise, bo pian lah...need to start off from one point first. Prices likewise, i personally finds that its affordable and reasonable.

are u into food businesses too?

• SRC Member

U have to calculate ur overhead, food cost, labour cost.

What happen if there is no customers u have calcuate how much $$ u can locate b4 ur business start making $$.

Dun forget this line is hard. May i knw wat is ur previous occupation??

No offence

• SRC Member

number 1 importance.. u have confidence in your food or not?

If your food confirm tasty even u at some ulu place also sure people will come... if not then maybe location can save u...

but good location = higher rentals..

in any case, rental is the NUMBER ONE KILLER if u ask me... i've heard that rental for a small stall in a good location can go up to 10k+ per month.. that's INSANE!!! but then again some stalls make back that 10k in 1/2 a month...

Do your maths, know where you stand, then make the dive once you are confident...

ALL THE BEST!!

great comments guys!

In fact, now pending for discussion as one of my partners are overseas.

We are working on the inital cost and investment on this business.

Yes, i do agree you guys. In fact, now im holding a stable position in marketing. But the fact that i'm tired of working for others. I had a dream, a dream to be a own boss after 7 years. Now, it already my 6 year...and im still working for others! I cannot fulfill my dreams.

I do know that its hard work...but i asked myself, how long can you work for others? If i dun struggle and work hard now? How long can i wait? At the age of 40? I think my mental and physical are not that strong! Why don't i risk and do it now at the age of 29? That's why, we keep on thinking and thinking...finally,im willing to scarafice my current post and hold the fort first!

Thats y? since im in this forum...i wanna to hear feedbacks from pple who deal in business. I know its hard ...i know it risky....but i got to work hard on it...

keep the comments flow in...i would apreciate your kindness and advises! :D

cheers.

My wife is skepetical on these, cos she jobless.

• SRC Member

Working for yourself is great.. I really love it.. although my income now can hardly be called an income..

which brings me to the next point... seeing that your wife is also jobless, now might not be the best time to jump into this... you know how it's always better to have a safety net? Not to mention all the home/car loans, electrical bills, you might need to pay every month... and then there's the corals and livestock? hehe

So unless you have a pool of savings stored up it's a wee bit dangerous to be giving up a paying job to invest in something which might only start showing profits after a few months or a year ++...

I took the plunge even earlier than you, even before marriage, coz I figured the younger and less responsibilities I have (to wife and children) the more risks I can take...

Up to you bro.. first convince yourself if you can do it and do it well, then convince your wife... if you are confident go ahead... if not, think about it carefully...

• SRC Member

:P ... i'm juz a normal employee like the rest, but also had the dream of

going into the food indestry :P

1 way to cut overhead is to be the chef (or some1 really close and

had an interest in the shop). u do not want the most important factor

(in this case the chef) to be a variable factor. u want it to be a constant.

2) If u are not franchising some known food brand, ie starting ur own

brand, u must at least (IMHO) have 6mnths worth of operational money

that u are willing to "lose" (excluding 1 time set up of the shop). some

will go for 3 mnths, but i think half a yr is a good guage to see whether

to continue or not

3) u might want to make some field trip to japan/taiwan etc to get

some idea coz these 2 places had a lot of home-own food business

for references

• SRC Member

Bro as said above the rent is a no 1 killer.

Just to let you know in this line there is a thing call no life.

U will wake up at 7am every day go to stall prep ur food wait for customers serving customers washing up close stall at 11pm go home do your paperwork and do the same thing over and over again for 7 days a week. at least for the first 6 months. Can u take it can ur family take it? sorry for being so harsh but i knw ppl who had a stall earning very good $$. But the family life and the body cannot take it so in the end closed down.

• SRC Member
Bro as said above the rent is a no 1 killer.

Just to let you know in this line there is a thing call no life.

U will wake up at 7am every day go to stall prep ur food wait for customers serving customers washing up close stall at 11pm go home do your paperwork and do the same thing over and over again for 7 days a week. at least for the first 6 months. Can u take it can ur family take it? sorry for being so harsh but i knw ppl who had a stall earning very good $$. But the family life and the body cannot take it so in the end closed down.

7am? I've heard of stalls who start work at 3am!!