Do fish loose their colour when they grow older.

• SRC Member

:lol: Hi....this is a common experience...i formally had two clowns which i bought small and orange.But as it grew bigger the fish got darker..and did not look that attractive..... :erm: And also many other fishes that i have kept..except for damsels....

For fresh water fishes e.g GOLdfish,they feed blood worms to make the colour

more shining and bright....Is there any remedy for this problem with marine fishes...plankton perhaps?

Need more info.........

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member
:lol: Hi....this is a common experience...i formally had two clowns which i bought small and orange.But as it grew bigger the fish got darker..and did not look that attractive..... :erm: And also many other fishes that i have kept..except for damsels....

more shining and bright....Is there any remedy for this problem with marine fishes...plankton perhaps?

Need more info.........

some fishes does change colours partly because of the environment they are in and partly because of the food they eat. In most cases the lack of certain nutrition cause the fish to lose colour, so do some research as to what fish eats what food.

I have also observed that in some cases maroon and common clowns do change colour after a while. Yes maroon clowns seems to become darker after a while like bright orange/red to brown.

However there are certain type of fishes that change colours when they mature like some species of angelfishes, wrasses, damsels to name a few.

• SRC Member

Need more info.........

Clown and most fishes eats pellets, so should be good for color.

But more importantly for coloration, the water is to be blame for loss of coloration.

Look at what additive you are dosing.

Trace elements for fishes may include:

Iodide

calcium

Light to a certain extend improves coloration.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Oh i see,other then pallet food is there any other choice??

Pallet food has everything??

AG_fishjumping.gif

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

Look at what additive you are dosing.

Trace elements for fishes may include:

Iodide

calcium

Light to a certain extend improves coloration.

Iodide and calcium affect coloration? :huh: Imho i don't think so. :P

Lighting, yes... visually it may improve since the color temperature alters our color perception.

I still think that generally, we are not able to provide the kind of nutrition that they can receive in the wild, which probably explains why after a long period of time, the color fades.

• SRC Member

OIC..i think that could be a cause..fish find whatever they want from the sea..we only provide 90% of their needs which are basic needs for it to live...how about entertainmet *(if i were the fish).

AG_fishjumping.gif

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L