DIY 3ft T5-HO

southpaw23

• SRC Member

Ok, here's my attempt at my DIY T5 set.

Got my kit from HV and proceeded to mod it for my current tank.

Didn't take a shot of the materials used but essentially, it consisted of:

1. 2x1 wood plan cut out which i specified from my tank maker

2. PVC trunking (2 sizes but can't recall the size)

3. T5 DIY kit

The first shot is a cut out of one of the PVC trunking which will hold the water proof endcaps. the holes were drilled for the skrews and wires

ps. Please mind the sucky photography...unfortunately most pics are kinda blur...which is ultimately the result of a sucky camera and an even suckier cameraman :P

post-9-1132307092.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Oh and as a note, i made sure to label all the wires to ensure the right wires got into the right slots on the ballast....

post-9-1132307892.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Minus short of connecting the power cord, which i had to get replaced cos it was too short, it's all done....

Here's the shot...

post-9-1132308036.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
i think you need to have a cover for your ballast, safer.

I thought about that but weighed the pros and cons....if it's covered, it'll generate too much heat and i would have find a suitable material to house it in....leaving it open helps dissapate the heat better (even tho it's an e-balast, it still gets hot)

And the fixture sits about 8 inches above the water and i don't foresee any water splashes hitting the balast. Plus all the wirings are hidden within the trunkings anyways....

Thanks for the heads up tho....will take some pictures of the fixture in the tank soon....i like the blue tint it adds to the 14k MH bulbs.....guess i just like the blue look.... ;)

Oh and thanks for the compliments guys...the DIY wasn't too complicated...and sure saves me a couple of bucks that could go to corals, fishes and other equipments....

southpaw23's reef

• 3 weeks later...