Nitrate problem

vito

• SRC Member

today just buy the nitrate test after 3 months old setup ...the result is 50mg/l as i know this level is not good right ..? is there way to reduce this nitrate thing to level 10mg/l oh yes my I use over flow filter with bio ball as a filter media ...may be you guys have a better way to reduce this nitrate ...thank's

• SRC Member

do frequent water changes will reduce the nitrate level in your water

however, i see that u have bio balls as filter media, from the past threads in the forum, it is argued that these bio balls/rings will trap detrius and becoming nitrate factory

also, your bio-load, is it too much for your tank?

feeding habits, heavy or light?

• SRC Member

What is the size of your tank? Generally, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to control nitrates. You would need to do frequent water changes to bring the nitrate levels down.

Bio-balls are good when you're starting a new tank. It allows good bacteria to grow. However, over time, these bio-balls will trap detrius, thus turning into a nitrate factory.

Do you have much live stock in your tank? And what skimmer are you using for your tank? Any sump or refugium?

• SRC Member
What is the size of your tank? Generally, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to control nitrates. You would need to do frequent water changes to bring the nitrate levels down.

Bio-balls are good when you're starting a new tank. It allows good bacteria to grow. However, over time, these bio-balls will trap detrius, thus turning into a nitrate factory.

Do you have much live stock in your tank? And what skimmer are you using for your tank? Any sump or refugium?

My tank size is 80x40x45 cm use 4x20w FL fishes are 1 yellow tang,1 clown,dottyback,2 cleaner shrimps use aquac remora pro skimmer

if i don't use bio ball so what is the best media filter recomend ..? I use over flow side filter not sump and no refugium .....

• SRC Member

Firstly do you have a sump? or just an IOS system...? if you have a sump most prob either you can go for using livesand/coralchips (plenum) or liverocks, instead of the bioballs... i used to have an IOS system for my 2ft.... i only used coral chips for the filter media.... the water condition was good. : ) happy reefing