Help need for setup of tank

laona

• SRC Member

Good Day seniors,

Hav been surfing ard the forums for tips/help/advice during my own setup and found valuable advices, but i still have some question unsolved, hope you guys can help me..

what does all the different lighting codes (t5, t4 etc) stand for? currently looking for lighting for my 1.8 X 0.9 X 1 (ft) or 50 x 28 x 30 (cm) tank. wld like to ask what type of lights are suitable.

how to correctly place a air stone skimmer? i have no idea which are the recommended positions to place the skimmer, those put inside tank with suction caps type, would greatly need help thanks

i have many other questions still yet to come, but my tank is still in its cycling stage so one by one.. anyway a bit of my background, use to run a 1ft tank given to me by my friend, did nt have to cycle water so had a bit of experience maintaining tanks, recently gave that tank to my friend to bring him into marine tanking and upgraded to a slightly bigger one, my eventual aim is to convert my 3ft fresh water tank at home muahaha!!! so really appreciate all help from seniors here, wld like to thank you guys in advance for lookin at my repeated messages!

• SRC Member

if i'm not wrong the number is the thickness of the tubes with standard fluroscent being t8's.smaller number thinner tube.Can't rem the exact definition, if i'm not wrong t5 means the tube thickness is 5/12 inches.

1.8 feet use 2 feet lighting i guess...suitable lighting depends on what you intend to keep

skimmer if using airstone i think keeping it to the back is more pleasing to the eye. higher above the water for darker skimmate. more submerged for lighter.

maybe can list what you intend to keep?

not senior but hope to be of help :lol:

• SRC Member

Heres an overall pic of my P skimmer, if you can see clearly, the bottom of the skimmer is not touching the sand, abd the collection cup is above the water lvl, there is water in the collection cup and the bubbles lvl is below the outlet in the cup.. is this placing correct?

post-6-1132889337.jpg

• SRC Member
if i'm not wrong the number is the thickness of the tubes with standard fluroscent being t8's.smaller number thinner tube.Can't rem the exact definition, if i'm not wrong t5 means the tube thickness is 5/12 inches.

1.8 feet use 2 feet lighting i guess...suitable lighting depends on what you intend to keep

skimmer if using airstone i think keeping it to the back is more pleasing to the eye. higher above the water for darker skimmate. more submerged for lighter.

maybe can list what you intend to keep?

not senior but hope to be of help :lol:

hey thanks dreamzcape for replying!!

thanks for the info on the lights, cos xin zin hu at chua chu kang quoted me 40 bucks and above for 2ft t5 lights, still searching ard pasar malam for a better deal..yet to find..will keep lookin, now still cycling, then later lr no need lights..

here is a list of wat i intend to keep:

must:

blenny (sembcorp of the tank)

turbo snails

cleaner shrimps

still deciding since small tank, small fishes

true clowns (min 1 pair)

fire gobly

boxfish

after they settled down might be going for

anemone

corals (but still long way off)

one question to all, how do i resize the picture? sorry if its too big, first time post pic

• SRC Member

can open the image in 'Paint' then find the resize function in one of the options then reduce by percentages...at least that's how i do it. if not can use microsoft photo editor do the same thing.

About the lights..if you're going to eventually go anemone, go for t5 ho(high output), your corals will also have more light. however, you gotta watch the heat. seeing ur tank is about 1ft in height, i think the intensity should be no problem but i think temp might be a problem.

40 bucks for t5 is most probably normal output, t5 ho would cost typically in the 100's region for 2 tubes. actually for your depth, i'm not sure but you just might get away using a normal output light set.

• SRC Member

ok.... for one... can see u got those off the shell plastic curve front tank thingies...

not too bad a choice... but u could have done better by going for a more standard tank... 2 feet length...

easier to work with your equipment... especially lightings...

my advise is... try to make your system bigger... go for sump... better skimmer... u can stock more this way..... better to go for better equipment then resist the urge to overrstock the tank....

i always felt it is easier to make a bigger system than to fight the urge to buy more fishes or corals....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

i got the tank frm one of the fellow reefers here, she upgraded to a bigger tank and sold me the tank plus skimmer plus filter (i nvr use) for 28 bucks, thought it was a steal and bought it straight away.

will nt be going for a sump sys as this tank is currently on my desktop, also its in my hostel so do nt hav enough space for it.. so gotta go for some regular water change, also i do not intend to put much fishes into it cannot put too much in it due to size.. tis is still another learning stage for me before i upgrade to 3ft at home!! muahaha..my ultimate dream!! sump and all