Mimic Yellow Tang

• SRC Member
I would like to get a mimic yellow tang...

can anyone tell me its requirement and if its hard to keep him?

heard tang are prone to white spot??

Acanthurus Pyroferus (The mimic tang) is a very hardy fish. From my experience , although prone like all tangs to white spot , I keep mine in a spacious tank with good water circulation and a varied diet of all foods especially nori! :D No outbreak of white spot so far and is eating extremely well. Like it's name , it follows everything my other tangs do. ;) Give this tang a thumbs up! :D

Acanthurus Pyroferus (The mimic tang) is a very hardy fish. From my experience , although prone like all tangs to white spot , I keep mine in a spacious tank with good water circulation and a varied diet of all foods especially nori! :D No outbreak of white spot so far and is eating extremely well. Like it's name , it follows everything my other tangs do. ;) Give this tang a thumbs up! :D

bro.. will it attack coral?

how do you all prepare nori?

other food beside nori?? brine shrimp?

• SRC Member

bro.. will it attack coral?

how do you all prepare nori?

other food beside nori?? brine shrimp?

Actually tangs are the best fishes for reefs and unlike the angels , tangs don't disturb corals of any kind. You can get nori from any supermarket in dried packet forms at the dried goods section. Some prefer to soak in garlic (blend your ordinary garlic with a little water) as you might have heard and others ad vitamin supplements to it and let it soak for a while. Which ever way you do it remember to cut the pieces into small bite siezes for them to eat but for me I just throw them in and it's like a lunchtime crowd in Orchard Road! :lol: Hope you have some sucess in that bro! :D

• SRC Member
hey bro thanks.. may i know roughly how much they cost and wat to look out for before buying>

I have percula clown, azure damsel , feather duster worm and cleaner shrimp.. any incompatibilty?

you're most welcome! :D shouldn't cost more the $15.00 maybe even less. You don't have to worry about compatability with your other tank inhabitants. Your damsel might show some territorial behaviour so you need to watch over that. :D Happy reefing! ;)

you're most welcome! :D shouldn't cost more the $15.00 maybe even less. You don't have to worry about compatability with your other tank inhabitants. Your damsel might show some territorial behaviour so you need to watch over that. :D Happy reefing! ;)

i think my clown fish is more aggressive than him.. he keep chasing him..

maybe hes the only damsel, cannot show any territorial behaviour

• SRC Member
I have a mimic tang... I think they look best when they reach adulthood. Very different from the juveniles!

Good-tempered, easy-going characteristics too.

I can't wait for mine to reach adulthood! :D The grey areas are starting to appear and the forked tail is present with a reddish throat. :yeah: Indeed very lovely! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Just to find out how the Juv. Mimic tang look like ??/ :bow:  :bow:  which Lfs or farm always had its????.......... How much they selling........???   :thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

The juvenile mimic tang looks like this.......and PXXXXXX MXXXXX AXXXXX at pasir ris farmway 1 had lots of juveniles when I was there last Saturday. ;) priced at $8.XX or so as mine was a bit bigger. Smaller ones might be even cheaper! Hope you find one soon! :D

post-8-1064980026.jpg

• SRC Member

The juvenile mimic tang looks like this.......and PXXXXXX MXXXXX AXXXXX at pasir ris farmway 1 had lots of juveniles when I was there last Saturday. ;) priced at $8.XX or so as mine was a bit bigger. Smaller ones might be even cheaper! Hope you find one soon! :D

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hi

I am a little confused ... ... wat I have is a juv choc. surgeontang ... ... looks like wat AT has, actually bought from the same place ... ... but some guys call it mimic tang... ... ? Same?