5 foot LPS Reef tank + nano

May&Bruce

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Upgraded the chiller to a Resun C0500 - now chills the tank to 26 with ease. Chiller sits out on balcony so I built the metal cover to protect it from the weather.

post-34-1137824452.jpg

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

Entire system is only 6 months old. Full specs are:

Main Tank: 5ft x 2ft x 2ft 12mm 150 gal reef tank - Plenum/DSB

Nano Tank: 18” x12” x12” reef tank sharing same sump as main tank

Sump: 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft 26 gal

Lighting: DIY 3 x 150w 10000K MH, 2 x 54w T5 actinic, lights are on 3 timer circuits

Skimmer: Ocean Werx Beckett skimmer & DIY 8 litre overflow canister

Chiller: Resun C0500 ½ HP chiller

Skimz FR running activated carbon & phosguard

DIY kalkwasser reactor with 30 litre acrylic top-up reservoir & peristaltic dosing pump

DIY 3-stage DI water system for top up water and making salt water for water changes.

Water parameters:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10-20

Phosphate 0

Silicate 0

pH 8.3

SG 1.023

Temp. 26.5

• SRC Member

awwww, thanks cityofangels :) Luckily pics don't show all the little faults.

Soon I will run out of things to do....does that mean I will finally be able to sit back and enjoy it? geez, imagine that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Update on the chiller (CO500).... it was vibrating on startup, but the service guys cured that under warranty. I am quite happy with the chiller performance. It can chill my tank to 25 C very easily - remember I have 5 foot tank with 4 foot sump and 3 x 150 MH, submersed pumps, etc. The chiiler comes on every 30 minutes for 5-8 minutes. I think that kind of duty cycle is no problem at all.

• SRC Member

Blenny....after seeing your algae yesterday, it really has got me thinking...... How strong lighting would I need in the sump?

PerculaClownfish...thanks! But the woodwork doesn't look that great up close! Anyway, I guess the roughness gives it a kind of rustic look...hahaha

• SRC Member

I was told that normal florecent light will do. SOme extremos will use MH ot T5s but i feel that those are algae and do not require strong lights. Blueheaven from here used a energy saving bulb from ikea for his chaeto from anthony calfo and they were growing well. let me know if you require some ulvas/local chaetos.

• SRC Member
Update on the chiller (CO500).... it was vibrating on startup, but the service guys cured that under warranty. I am quite happy with the chiller performance. It can chill my tank to 25 C very easily - remember I have 5 foot tank with 4 foot sump and 3 x 150 MH, submersed pumps, etc. The chiiler comes on every 30 minutes for 5-8 minutes. I think that kind of duty cycle is no problem at all.

Seems odd that your chiller would only run for 5-8 minutes...how many degrees does it chill in such a short period of time?....

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Blenny...thanks mate!

southpaw....the chiller thermostat is set at 26 C. If I run the tank with no chiller the ambient water temp is about 29 C. This short run time (5-8 mins) is sufficient to maintain the temp around 26 C. When I first installed the chiller of course it ran for a lot longer to bring the temp down.

I have two independent thermometers so I know that the chiller is working correctly.