Amatuer Questions

bane

Very new to marine fish.

Current have a 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 with a Jebao Filter (1000 L / Hour) and an airstone-driven Protein Skimmer.

Intend to keep Lionfish (and maybe a moray).

Question : Water change (how often and how ? add fresh water with marine salt ?)

Question : Suitable tankmates for lionfishes ?

Question : How to feed really young lionfishes (<3")

Thanks .

Hi Bro..

If you are thinking of keeping Lions, perhaps aistone-driven skimmer may not be such a good idea as Lions are carnivorous and tends to degrade the water quality quickly. The same goes to Moray eels.

Lions are most compatible with large predatory carnivorous such as

Morays, Groupers etc. Anything that can be fit into their mouth would be prey. As for diet wise, most lion keepers would wean dead/frozen food as soon as possible. Lions main diet includes small LIVE fishes and shrimps. Although some aquarist feed live food (Goldfishes, but not recommended due to high fat content) to Lions, admiring it's predatory behaviour in nature may be interesting, yet cruel to some. Hope this helps for you. For further reference, www.liveaquaria.com.

If you are thinking of keeping Lions, perhaps aistone-driven skimmer may not be such a good idea as Lions are carnivorous and tends to degrade the water quality quickly.

Dude ,

Why isn't my skimmer a good idea ??? (me skimmer idiot)

So if lions degrade the water quickly ... how to I rectify it ?

Water change frequency/ details ??? (me marine water change idiot 2)

Thanks ....

• SRC Member

Air driven skimmer is way too weak for a 4footer, u can opt for some better skimmer like weipro & macro which are more powerful. Of course the list goes on depending on your budget ;)

Better read up more 1st b4 u keep fish like the lionfish