Device to off return pump

Any one like to have device to off return pump?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Any one like to have device to off return pump?

• Yes, cost $70
    • Yes, but too costly.
    • No, No use

Hi

I'm worrying that some how my return pump would run dry if something happened to the piping or i forget to top up the water after few days, or even water leaking to the floor!!

Wondering if anyone interested in a device that will auto off the return pump (any pump) when the water level is too low.

I did an cost estimate of the device round $70 (not sure yet), any one interested? May cost lower if buy more part at the same time.

thanks

• SRC Member

Hi

I DIY a auto top device for my tanks.

The float switch could be inverted to cut off the return pump if water is low.

Float switch : S$20

Power relay : S$15

Wires : S$2 or 3

Total cost less than S$40!!!

Ur nick looks familiar. R u also posting at daddyhobby??? The one who sold me a HDE Trex at Bugis Junction.

Hi

I DIY a auto top device for my tanks.

The float switch could be inverted to cut off the return pump if water is low.

Power relay : S$15

Wires : S$2 or 3

Total cost less than S$40!!!

Ur nick looks familiar. R u also posting at daddyhobby??? The one who sold me a HDE Trex at Bugis Junction.

What i'm think of is:

Power relay : S$20 (need higher rating on as some return pump operate in 100W)

3 pin power point holder to the pump: $10

transformer to step down to 12v to operate the float switch: $10 (no want to have 240v running in tank -- dangerous!!!)

rectifier $10 to convert AC to DC (12v)

casing to cover the whole device $20 (waterproof)

that all add up to $90

if want cheaper can remove transformer but have to use battery. That will cost $70.

look like response no good.

think just do one for myself :)

My version:

Return pump ($######)

Circuit Breaker ($1.50)

Piping & elbow ($4)

Piece of polyfoam (free)

Total ($5.50 + return pump cost) :ph34r:

Wah Adrianli!! daddyhobby... eh I have got myself a hydro plane. Hahahaha someday we go cheong RC.

Circuit Breaker for $1.50? What type of breaker? Is it the ones used in for the electricity in the main house?

how do you trip the power? Using the pipes join to polyfoam?

if that the case very dangerous..

I was thinking of doing the device "safely", so any one without any electric knowledge can just take and use it. Even to get it CE certified.. (CE certified is a safety standard if you no know :) )

I am using a 9v battery pump but i mod it to use an adapter.(you can leave it alone and use battery too)

I broke the circuit at the 9v route instead of the 240v land line.(much safer)

Not sure of the rest but I feel that it safer to mess ard with 9v then 240v.

Lotsa young kids here so just wanna introduce a safer method.

The circuit breaker is just a normal one from Sim Lim. Get the one with the wire arm will eazier to work with (not the normal rectangular metal plate arm)

The following pic might be a better explaination.

Rgds

Tak :peace:

post-9-1134461944.jpg

I don't acually like the mechanical movement to ON or OFF the switch. How accurate can you align the float with the switch. If you managed to do so, after some time there sure to have some blockage to the movement. Furthermore, when we change water have to ensure we do not hit any of the parts. Floating switch still the best. Just my thought.

But it is cheap. What you pay is what you will get i guess.

think my intention is to off the "RETURN" pump when there is some problem with tank. You don't run "RETURN" pump on a 9v right? 9v version should be for water top up right?

"think my intention is to off the "RETURN" pump when there is some problem with tank."

Bro, its a dangerous move!!!

The water will back flow into your sump through the return piping.(Have you tought of it?)

e.g

If your main tank is 4ft x 2ft x2ft and you have a return pipe 6inches deep in the water. If you cut the power, there will be 4ft x 2ft x 6inches of water back flow into the sump.

Imagine those reefers who have 3 way return pipe. One may be as deep as just above the sandbed. Then when your "device" kicks in.... emm..mm... you go imagine wat will happen bah.

Many reefers spent hundreds of dollars to buy UPS for a reason.... they dont want to have a swimming pool during power a outtage.

Just my 2cents

No hard feelings

Tak :peace:

post-9-1134559799.jpg

• SRC Member

i Like RC,but still dun know how to fly. :lol: keeping to aeromodels

:off::off::off::off::off::off:

post-9-1135352040.jpg

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)