DIY DI Water Purification System

May&Bruce

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

From left

madmac (our part time maid who help sweep the floor), Maxstar81(The marker), alien07(Cutting Crew), Gouldian(Drilling Crew), Anthony(Drilling Crew) and playstation2(Cutting Crew) and behind is my tank :D

post-9-1140285431.jpg

• SRC Member
:o  u really post here!

:D  :lol:  jialat. can edit censored name!

u got any schedule for changing water!.  follow u .. so i know when i used up 500L  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D

For the time being I intend to collect the water in the 20L corallife salt bucket so can calculate how many litre before the resin exhaust. Maybe you can do that too. It will be good to invest in a TDS meter as water ppm differ from place so exhaust rate will be different. :lol:

Paiseh cannot delete liao :D

• SRC Member

Hey guys, looks like you had a great time while making a very useful product! As you probably found, filling the last housing with the resin and making sure none gets trapped around the o-ring is a pain in the bum!

I have been using mine (the prototype :) ) for about 3 months or so and I have made at least 1000 litres now without changing the resin. Invest in a small TDS meter like shottsimon has and just monitor the TDS levels then you will know when to replace the resin.

What's the next DIY project???

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

Had a wonderful time yesterday!

Thanks to all that were present to help DIY, wonderful time and fellowship. ;)

Special Thanks to Simon for:

1) Sourcing for the materials

2) Letting us use your wonderfully renovated home

3) Providing the drinks (Red wines and coke free flow) :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hey guys, looks like you had a great time while making a very useful product! As you probably found, filling the last housing with the resin and making sure none gets trapped around the o-ring is a pain in the bum!

I have been using mine (the prototype :) ) for about 3 months or so and I have made at least 1000 litres now without changing the resin. Invest in a small TDS meter like shottsimon has and just monitor the TDS levels then you will know when to replace the resin.

What's the next DIY project???

Without you sharing it with us this wouldn't have happen.

Well its not really difficult to fill the resin, all you need is another pair of hands to help, it pretty easy. We did change some parts like the female bulk head to a reducer pipe so we could drill more holes. :lol: And just for the record we spend less than $90 for the DIY. If given more time I think we might even go below $80.

BTW Bruce did you reverse the flow direction of the resin housing? For those who is looking into doing this DI unit remember to do that as the flow has to be different direction. :D

• SRC Member

Yep, the flow in the 3rd (resin) chamber has to be reversed for it to work properly :P

S$80 is pretty damn good for a 3-stage DI filter! Personally, I believe that using DI is overall a better option than RO - but I am biased :D

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)