Euroreef Skimmer CS8-2RC

rpisces

Hi!

I just bought the Euro-Reef skimmer. Unfortunately, this product from US runs at 110V/60Hz and our country runs at 240V/50Hz.

Does anyone know how to convert the 50Hz to 60Hz so that it can be used in our country? Any converter can step-down the voltage from 240V to 110V but cannotconvert the Hz.

Please advise.

Thanks

It is said that the Euro-reef is a heavily modified version of the Sedra KSP5000 pump. It might be compatible with the needle wheel but I wonder whether the fitting and piping from the outlet sizes are compatible as well? Who is selling the Sedra pump? And it it 220/240V 50Hz?

• SRC Member

U can try any of the local DIY store and they sell those step down tranfromer and the price not cheap , a good one cost $100+. ;)

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

Hi! Monsterz

A transformer will only step down the Voltage from 240 to 120V but the Hz would still be 50Hz. The pump runs at 60Hz/s which is 20% faster than 50Hz. Therefore, the pump will heat up if our current is 50Hz.

I can see that you are using aquamedic products. Can you please pm me the price of Aqualine 150W and 250W DE 20K?

Thanks

• SRC Member

I have a solution for you as I have busted many transformers intially for being naive.

The size of your transformer depends the size of your pump/wattages required. In my case, my US pump is 80 watts, you multiply this by 2 (conversion from 110/120V to 220/240V), then multiply by a factor of 3 because of the current surge. That means that for 80 watts you need a transformer/coverter for at least 540 watts. The nearest transformer size available for me is 800watts (I have busted the 300watts transformer). With that transformer, my 80watts pump works very well.

The 800 watts transformer cost be about S$170 in KL.

My advice is to get a bigger transformer than the required capacity. The DIY shop initially gave me the wrong advice (he thought he was correct) but after busting a few transformers, he decided to call his Engineer friend who did the calculation for him).

Hope this helps.